Anyone here a RN or BSN? Help!

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hey everyone! I am new to the field of nursing. I am switching majors in school and am wondering what the difference is between a RN and BSN? Is the pay different? Are there different job oppurtunities? Also I am trying to find a good 2 year school to become a RN, does anyone know a good one in Massachusetts around Salem, Malden, Lynn and that area. Thank you for your help!

2. Anyone? :sad:

3. I thought we had a couple of nurses in here. They may not have seen your thread yet. Have you tried looking on a website more related to your field?

4. Hey I am in Nursing school currently getting my BSN...I will be done in 2 years and then I will do another 2 years so I can get my degree in nurse anestiology. RN and BSN are different because..one the pay is lower for an RN with no bachelors and two a lot of hospitals prefer that you have your bachelors. Good luck ;)

5. ^^^ I knew there were some!

6. :P

7. *This is for California but I know most other states work the same way*

Generally the RN is the basic license for practice as a nurse. Both Associate Degree and Bachelor's degree trained nurses get the same standard instruction and training for the license.

The difference is that the BSN provides advanced theoretical and clinical instruction in a few areas of healthcare (acute care, ob/peds, community/mental health), as well as "professional" topics of ethical / legal issues in healthcare, nursing leadership and management, research in nursing, etc.

Initially, the pay is the same. Over the course of two or more years, BSN trained nurses will out-pace AA trained RNs in most areas due to that advanced training and skill. Additionally, the BSN level prepares nurses for leadership roles within their profession (charge nurse, nurse administrator), and additional levels of professional nursing (nurse midwife, anesthesiology, nurse practitioner, nurse educator, etc).

Some students find it better to gain their RN license at an Associate Degree level, then complete the remaining BSN requirements while earning an income.