Anyone here a Middle/Elementary School Teacher in California?

  1. How did you go about getting your credential and did you need a bachelors? How's the credential program?

    Just trying to find out more!

  2. Well, not a K-12 teacher, but I do work closely with this population at my college (pre-teaching students).

    In California (and many other states), you need the following:
    1. Bachelors degree, preferably in Liberal Studies, Child Development, other closely related field
    2. CBEST Testing (California Basic Educational Skills Test). Costs about $42, and covers basic English, Math (algebra levels), and Reading Comprehension. Once passed, scores no not expire.
    3. CSET (California Subject Examination for Teachers) - Multiple Subjects. This is the demonstration of content knowledge for teaching in multiple areas. Content covers everything from arts/music, literature, science, history (CA, Early US, World), geography, government. Since you may be assigned anywhere from grades K - 6, you need to be "prepared" for all content areas.
    4. Course and/or examination in U.S. Constitutions. Depending on your undergraduate degree, this may be covered by a course in U.S. Government.
    5. Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA). Taken after a particular course in preparation program (below).
    6. Teacher Preparation Program / Credential Program. Generally 1 year in length. CSU campuses do this best - as they were founded as teaching institutions. Minimum GPA for entry is between 2.75 - 3.0. UC Campuses are more stringent (3.0+) and may be concurrent with a Masters in Teaching, Masters in Education and/or other field.
    Certification programs will cover pedagogy, methods, assessment, and student teaching.
    7. Coursework in Computer Technology, Health for Educators, Teaching students with special needs,

    That's about it! Seems like a lot, but it actually goes fairly quickly.

    Want more info? Visit: and select Multiple Subjects (or teach elementary school).

    Right now, the greatest need is for single subject teachers in math/science. Depending on the location, there may be some difficulty in obtaining a K-6 position. Be prepared to go to the district that needs teachers (mostly urban / rural settings). You won't likely be hired in more suburban / higher income communities without experience.

    Good luck!
  3. Oh my gosh thanks for all your help yvanlez..

    Right now I'm in Nursing School (2nd semester - my 2nd try at it) and it's just not working out for me..i've been thinking for a while if this nursing thing doesn't work out then I would like to become a far as jobs, i didnt' know it was that hard to find a job as a middle school teacher...salaries in urban/rural settings would you happen to know the range here in souther california? I'm gonna talk to a School of Ed advisor today to see what I can do....I would have to definately switch majors which I don't know what to change it to to be able to obtain my bachelors As soon as possible...probably public health or something w/ my prerequesits i had for nursing such as anatomy, physio, micro, anatomy, etc etc...
  4. You have a ton of options. Are you at a university? Try Health Science, Radiation Science, Respiratory Therapy, Community Health Educator, Nutrition and Dietetics, and if you want to stay longer, Masters in Social Work - Medical SW.

    At a CC: Dental Hygiene, Radiation Tech, respiratory therapy.

    You got lucky - I actually work with nursing / science majors and teaching majors! Visit your career center and/or college career counselor (not necessarily an academic adviser) for more information on related careers.