Anyone have the Luba J Panda bag?

bagatella

Jul 28, 2007
I know it's not a well known designer, but I am intrigued by this bag. I love the fact that it is lined in suede. Anyone have one? Is the leather soft? Is the quality good? Thanks!

TheNordstrom Anniversary Sale Early Accessopens to Nordies Insider cardmembers today.
Please support the community andclick here prior to checking out!Don't forget to share your haul in the officialNSALE 2020 thread!

momonthegooo!

Oct 18, 2007
I've been dying for a Luba J myself. I've heard good things and seen them in person but I still haven't bought one.

artiksun

Handbag Addict =)
Sep 26, 2006
Philadelphia, PA area
I don't have this particular bag, but I have the Luba J Challah Bag in Apricot. I'm torn about what to tell you. To be honest, I ordered my Luba J online because I found a crazy good deal on it (at fengjunk.com for just under $100) and hated it when I first received it, but it was non-returnable. I always loved the reddish-pink suede lining, although it does tend to get a little dirty easily and hold onto dust, etc. Initially, I didn't like it for the following reasons:
- Leather wasn't as soft as I expected upon arrival - it felt dry
- Only 1 interior zipper pocket - no open pockets for cell phone
- Bag has no shape of its own when empty
- Closure on the bag is a turnlock with 2 magnetic snaps - very annoying to get in and out of quickly
- Hardware didn't feel as solid as I would have liked (I'm a hardware nut about my bags, so I try to only buy bags with solid brass or nickel hardware. The Luba J hardware isn't metal - at least on my bag - but I've heard newer versions of the bag have nicer hardware.)

It stayed in the back of my closet for months until I just recently decided to try using it again. I discovered that the bag I initially hated, I actually kind of liked now. Here are my thoughts on the bag now:
- I used leather moisturizer on the bag a few times and the leather is much softer now, especially after some wear. It no longer feels dry. It does tend to scratch easily, however. Leather has a nice, very natural pebble grain.
- I still wish it had more pockets inside for organization.
- In a previous post on tPF, I described the hardware as "plasticy." I no longer agree with that, but the hardware still isn't the solid metal material I prefer. For the price I purchased the bag, the hardware is fine and feels relatively sturdy. If I had paid the retail price of $400-something for the bag, I'd be really pissed!
- Closure is still annoying to get in and out of easily, but I've managed to perfect a few techniques.
- Bag is still beautiful to look at
- I like the lining less than I initially did. If you are familiar with suede linings, I'm sure you know what to expect. This was my first bag with a suede lining and I wish it used canvas or something else.

Sorry for the long post. Hope I helped a little!

bagatella

Jul 28, 2007
^^Thank you so much for your detailed response! The Panda Bag on Fengjunk is like 292 after the coupon code. Is that a good price?

artiksun

Handbag Addict =)
Sep 26, 2006
Philadelphia, PA area
My original thread on my Luba J Challah Bag with some pics:
http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags...ed-the-luba-j-challah-bag-apricot-136299.html

Here's another Luba J thread, mostly about the Gecko bag:
http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/luba-j-gecko-162217.html

The above thread has a lot of pictures and other opinions about Luba J bags (post #30 on page 2, post #40 on page 3). Maybe you can PM some of the other people on there and ask them if they don't respond here.

Honestly, I really have no idea if $292 is a good price on that bag. Based strictly on the retail price of $759 for that bag, I'd say $292 is pretty good. Hopefully more people will post on here so you can get some more opinions...