Anyone have one of their dog's teeth extracted?

shanam

62 is the new 40 LOL
Aug 15, 2006
hi, my wonderful golden retrierver who is 12 has a broken tooth. when the vet checked her teeth last month he saw one that was ickky and when he felt around it broke. he is recommening that it be extracted. of course, she has to go under anesthesia and take amoxicillin after the procedure. it will cost $400. she doesn't seem to be in pain( can still eat her chow) but there is always the chance it can get infected.
has anyone had to do this? how did it go?
thanks so much!

I went through this with my 11-year-old Australian shepherd recently.

His tooth was broken right on the gum line and had occurred a year before. At that time my vet said that it was okay to leave it alone. Later, my dog had to have a lump removed from his leg and the vet recommended removing the broken tooth at the same time since my dog would be under anesthesia anyway. It healed fine and there were no complications.

There is always some risk putting an older pet under anesthesia though.

I am so sorry to hear about your doggie. Last month my 12 year-old golden retriever/collie mix had her three bottom front teeth removed. She gets dental cleanings every year, and recently had one, but a large cyst suddenty developed on her gum and the vet had to remove her teeth to be able to remove the cyst.

She was on antibiotics for two weeks. She is already on pain medicine for her arthritis so no additional drugs were necessary.

Her mouth healed completely and she hasn't experienced any trouble chewing.

I'm not an expert by any means, but if your vet suggests removing the tooth, it's probably best to do so. I think that if an infection develops and gets into her bloodstream her liver and kidneys may be affected.

Good luck to your baby. I hope all works out well for her.

One of our dogs had to have several teeth removed. I was worried about the general anesthesia, so we had bloodwork done first, which allows the vet to determine if the dog is healthy and resilient and will tolerate the drug well. They can make modifications--apparently, if they forsee any problems.

Infected teeth can cause a lot of problems, so if your vet is someone you trust, it might be best to have the tooth extracted.

Our dog (a lab cross) recovered really quickly. The most difficult part was keeping him from eating anything hard until his mouth was healed!

One of our dogs had to have several teeth removed. I was worried about the general anesthesia, so we had bloodwork done first, which allows the vet to determine if the dog is healthy and resilient and will tolerate the drug well. They can make modifications--apparently, if they forsee any problems.

That's a great point that I forgot to make. Our vet did pre-surgery blood work too. It was reassuring to know that she was okay to have the surgery.

Please let us know how your doggie fares. I am sending you positive thoughts. I know what it is like to worry so much about our four-legged babies.

One of my pups had 3 teeth out last year. She's 13 so I was concerned about the surgery, but she had the blood work done beforehand, and thankfully, all was ok. She didn't seem to be having any problems, but vet was concerned about infection, as apparently gum infections can be quite serious?

Cost £45.

All the very best for you and your pup

K

Extracting a tooth may be pricey, but it is so worth it. The recovery time isn't long at all...in fact, alot of dogs bounce back from the procedure the next day.

Taking care of your dog's teeth will also let him/her lead a longer, healthier life :smile:

My Sabrina had a broken tooth extracted about 3-4 years ago & she was fine.

We had all of the pre-anesthesia bloodwork done the day that I found the broken tooth, the next morning we brought her into the vet after fasting her overnight.

She was a little sleepy and cranky when we brought her home that night, but she was her normal self by the next morning.

We have never figured out exactly how she broke her tooth, but I try to thoroughly check their mouths at least once a week & the vet said that it was a fresh break when I found it.

thank you all so much for your advice. my dear girl had blood work done because she went on remadyl for a week because she was having a very hard time getting up and my vet wanted to make sure she could tolerate it and that she could also have the tooth out. so i will have the tooth taken care of. having had my own teeth problems:smile: i don't want her to go through the same pain as me. i thank you all for your help as does my sweet doggie.

Oh, I've been through it several times. My dog has funky teeth. She even had to have a molar extracted a couple years ago which scared the hell out of me. The vet actually called me in the middle of the procedure to tell me it was difficult to do because of her small jaw and I was worried sick until he called to tell me she was okay.

After that one it was the worst. She had to eat soft food for a while and was miserable. I felt so bad for her. But it's important to take care of their teeth and if they need one extracted it must be done. My dog wont' chew on anything (like toys, dog chews, etc) so her teeth get unusually dirty and gross. I try to brush them but she still gets build-up on her teeth and usually needs at least one pulled every year when she has her dental.

Roman had two of this tooth removed because he had ran into the glass door...:sweatdrop: TWICE! ... Once my friend's grandma had called the dogs and accidently closed the door immediantly and he ran right into it. The 2nd time was a few weeks later, when he got too excited playing with their Pug and forgot about the door.

We soon found out, his teeth was wobbly and hurting his mouth and he had to get it removed. He seemed to have recovered almost immediatly and had no troubles with the anesthesic.

I think it's best for your golden retreiver to get the procedure done now than later to prevent any trouble down the road.

Reggie had 7 teeth out 2 years ago at 13 and 4 teeth out in February at 15. He obviously had a toothache both times.

He eats soft food mostly but still enjoys crunching down on baby carrots and dog cookies. I understand they have a bone in the roof of their mouth which make it possible to break things up even if their teeth are gone.

Reg did well with the proceedure both times but he can be a bit of a drama queen and moans when he feels the need to be the baby. (He also has had a bit of an anxious reaction to the combination of anestetic and pain killers - so I took him off the pain killers after the first 2 days and just kept up with the antibiotics.)

Both times it was well worth it. And what a difference in his breath!!!!