Anyone have experience with false heat in their dog?

lorihmatthews

A taste for the arts
O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
My little Zoe, who is a Chi/Pom mix, has been acting a little strange lately. She has been a little whiny, wants constant attention, and it seems like her "girl parts" are enlarged. And she keeps putting her butt in my face!

When I adopted her in May she had already been spayed as an adult.

My vet ran every test in the book -- urine, poop, she is negative for kidney stones, UTIs, thyroid, etc. Everything came back negative, she is completely healthy.

He suggested that she might be going through false heat, and if so, I can expect her to experience it every 3-6 months.

Does anyone else have experience with this? How do you manage it?

Zoe may have "ovarian remnant syndrome" which can occur if a portion of an ovary is left in the abdomen during the spay procedure (usually rare but it can happen). If the entire ovarian tissue is not removed during the spay, she will still show signs of estrus/heat (vulvar swelling, bleeding, attraction of male dogs, etc.). Consider speaking to your vet about an abdominal explore to search for any ovarian remnants which should then be removed (maybe do this when Zoe is in heat because the ovarian tissue is active and should be easier to locate at that time). HTH and good luck!!

Zoe may have "ovarian remnant syndrome" which can occur if a portion of an ovary is left in the abdomen during the spay procedure (usually rare but it can happen). If the entire ovarian tissue is not removed during the spay, she will still show signs of estrus/heat (vulvar swelling, bleeding, attraction of male dogs, etc.). Consider speaking to your vet about an abdominal explore to search for any ovarian remnants which should then be removed (maybe do this when Zoe is in heat because the ovarian tissue is active and should be easier to locate at that time). HTH and good luck!!

-That was my first thought, too.