anyone have experience with a tear like this?

Katel

O.G.
Feb 17, 2007
I have a retourne Kelly that needs to see Claude. It has a tear about 1/4 inch on the side up close to the flap. I will attach pics to illustrate where the tear is. My camera doesn't show the rip very well (fairly low-tech inexpensive digital camera)

I know I won't know for sure if it can be fixed til Claude sees it, but I guess I'm hoping someone has had this same repair made with good success.

Anyone?? :sweatdrop:

I do know that area is very vulnerable to small rips and tears. I have a very vintage 1959 Kelly that has a rip on one side near that spot, but on the inside of the flap. So each time you open it, it stress the rip. Claude was not optimistic when he saw it, he said there was no way to truly fix it, but he could "band aid" it, which he did with a somewhat visible stitch. I don't mind cuz it was my first Kelly, I love her, and she's just beautiful otherwise.

But this little rip is at the seam...so I think perhaps, maybe, he can unstitch the side, where the piping is, and stretch and tuck the piece in, reinforce it inside, then restitch it....or am I dreaming wishful thinking?????

Please, all comments are helpful as I'm very torn here right now (sorry, I couldn't help it.....:rolleyes: ...better to laugh than cry.....:wtf: :yucky: :crybaby::upsidedown: .....right???)

pic courtesy of deleon200:

attachment.php

this Kelly below is sellier, not quite the same deal....but this is a great pic of the exact spot where the rip is on my retourne (pic courtesy of ladyauthentic):

attachment.php

Attachments

• deleon's picture.jpg
    deleon's picture.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 513
  • ladyauthentic kelly porc.jpg
    ladyauthentic kelly porc.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 501
Katel, darlin', I can't offer you any advice or guidance, just a shoulder to cry on and moral support! So sorry to hear that you have a tear on your Kelly but I'm staying optimistic that Claude (or Manuela) can fix it. ((((HUGS))))

"But this little rip is at the seam...so I think perhaps, maybe, he can unstitch the side, where the piping is, and stretch and tuck the piece in, reinforce it inside, then restitch it....or am I dreaming wishful thinking?????

Please, all comments are helpful as I'm very torn here right now (sorry, I couldn't help it.....:rolleyes: ...better to laugh than cry.....:wtf: :yucky: :crybaby::upsidedown: .....right???)"

reply -----------
Is the leather torn or just the stitching ? Stretching the leather- NOPE -not gonna happen, it would cause distortion . If I understand you correctly, it sounds like a mini patch of very thin strong leather (like goat) inside and resewn seam would be the answer. I'd pull out old thread back about 2-3", then replace it with a stronger thread in a matching color. I know you love your bags in original condition, but a teeny metal rivet at the stress point would serve you well. They do come in colors that would disappear, like black and antique brass/bronze.
:smile:

Hummmm Well, since Hermes doesn't use nails in manufacturing, I would guess a rivet is out. I have been really thinking about this one. Maybe I don't know if I can express this typing, but the piping getting slightly thicker at the top. No, not perfection. but better than a patch maybe? What do you think?, and do you know what I mean, Would it work with what you described? Maybe I got it all wrong?

Katel my dear friend, sorry to hear this. :sad:

By "rip", I guess you mean to say, the leather separated, and it's not just the stitching coming off, right? If it's the former, where the leather is torn, sorry, nothing can be done to restore it. But Claude may be able to use a strong but transparent glue to bandaid it.

Oh, gosh, I am soooo sorry to hear this. Is this a vintage or new bag? What leather is it? I truly know how you feel since I had a stitch pop on my then 10-week old Kelly and I was so miserable until she returned perfectly repaired.

I so hope that your baby can be easily and quickly fixed to perfection!

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your kelly. - As you know, your collection is one of my favourites on tpf:love:. You have a number of real gems and lots of boxcalf. Please ask Claude to pay extra attention and try to do his best.

I have a retourne Kelly that needs to see Claude. It has a tear about 1/4 inch on the side up close to the flap. I will attach pics to illustrate where the tear is. My camera doesn't show the rip very well (fairly low-tech inexpensive digital camera)

I know I won't know for sure if it can be fixed til Claude sees it, but I guess I'm hoping someone has had this same repair made with good success.

Anyone?? :sweatdrop:

I do know that area is very vulnerable to small rips and tears. I have a very vintage 1959 Kelly that has a rip on one side near that spot, but on the inside of the flap. So each time you open it, it stress the rip. Claude was not optimistic when he saw it, he said there was no way to truly fix it, but he could "band aid" it, which he did with a somewhat visible stitch. I don't mind cuz it was my first Kelly, I love her, and she's just beautiful otherwise.

But this little rip is at the seam...so I think perhaps, maybe, he can unstitch the side, where the piping is, and stretch and tuck the piece in, reinforce it inside, then restitch it....or am I dreaming wishful thinking?????

Please, all comments are helpful as I'm very torn here right now (sorry, I couldn't help it.....:rolleyes: ...better to laugh than cry.....:wtf: :yucky: :crybaby::upsidedown: .....right???)

pic courtesy of deleon200:

attachment.php

this Kelly below is sellier, not quite the same deal....but this is a great pic of the exact spot where the rip is on my retourne (pic courtesy of ladyauthentic):

attachment.php

Katel, My bag has no tear !!!!!!!

It is a matter of the two layers of leather that slightly separate at the very edge. This means that the resin has slightly gone, but IT IS NOT A TEAR IN ANY MANNER. Otherwise I would have diclosed a tear in my listing.
The stitching is intact, and the two parts of leather are intact.

As for your bag, wich is retourne, i'd like to see a close up picture if you could post one. I once had a bag that had a tear like that, it was about 3 cn long, (huge) and I had it fixed at Hermes. They were not abale to saw it from the inside. They did an outside repair stitching... That was visible , but at least the bag was back to a stronger condition. I'll try to find a picture of that repair and post it here.

attachment.php

Katel, here is the picture of a repair that was done by Hermes on a vintage Kelly retourne of mine . As you can see it is an outside hand stitch . Not very good looking but that was the only way they found to get the bag back into a functional life .....
If you want I could email you this picture so you can print it and show it to Claude. II guess if your bag is black, such a stitching will be less visible...

I sold that bag on ebay, and my buyer was very happy. Since then, they never wrote back to complain about the repair, so I assume it is still good.

Attachments

• Kelly-bordeaux-Repair.jpg
    Kelly-bordeaux-Repair.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 236
Oh Perlerare, I never ever ever meant to imply your gorgeous bag has a tear!! I simply wanted to show the location of where my tear was!

EVERYONE, pls!:

THE TWO BAGS PICTURED IN THIS THREAD, FROM DELEON AND LADYAUTHENTIC, ARE IN PERFECT CONDITION!

I only used these pics to show location of my tear (not in these two bags above).

Pls never hesitate to buy from Ladyauthentic - I have done so several times and her items are always gorgeous and she is a true gracious Lady through and through.

I hope you will please accept my apologies, Perlerare.

My ripped bag is not the black one above, but a different color.....I can't say more right now...but I am shipping her on Monday or Tuesday to Claude and Pierre....will report back.

Perlerare, THANK YOU for posting the pic of your rip....this is precisely where mine is.... but my rip is about 1/16 of an inch. May I ask, what was the approx size of the rip on your red bag, above?

Again....eeeek, I do apologize. :flowers: