Anyone have difficulty pulling the trigger on a boy?

sococo

O.G.
Feb 20, 2012
I became convinced that I "needed" a red caviar old medium boy in my life. This revelation coincided nicely with saks' triple points/bonus points event so I would also get a $500 or so gift card plus I had some points to use which would make the bag less than $4000. Saks only had a small and new medium. So, I was seriously considering the small because new med was too big for my liking. I went into saks NYC to try on the small and I realized that it was the same size as my mini so that was immediately out. No $4000 minis for me. I tried on other colors in the old medium size and I really liked how cool and edgy the bag felt. I loved the chunky chain but couldn't picture myself wearing it as a senior citizen (I delusionally tell myself these bags are timeless to justify the ridiculous prices.) Others have spoken about the lack of leather lining which was striking especially since my mini that was close to half the price is leather lined. Now, I still love the boy and may very well get one in the near future and I will just have to accept that it may never be a family heirloom but I do love it right now. I just wanted to know has anyone else who loved the boy had difficulty pulling the trigger on buying one? What did you end up doing?

I have the same feeling that I want a boy but hard to pull the tangle with it. I want the old medium but don't know which color will make this style last longer. The small isn't as big as classic mini, and the medium isn't as big as the classic medium.

me ~ I have not been able to justify or reconcile the idea of this bag (for all the aforementioned resons set forth herein), even though I'd like one

I became convinced that I "needed" a red caviar old medium boy in my life. This revelation coincided nicely with saks' triple points/bonus points event so I would also get a $500 or so gift card plus I had some points to use which would make the bag less than $4000. Saks only had a small and new medium. So, I was seriously considering the small because new med was too big for my liking. I went into saks NYC to try on the small and I realized that it was the same size as my mini so that was immediately out. No $4000 minis for me. I tried on other colors in the old medium size and I really liked how cool and edgy the bag felt. I loved the chunky chain but couldn't picture myself wearing it as a senior citizen (I delusionally tell myself these bags are timeless to justify the ridiculous prices.) Others have spoken about the lack of leather lining which was striking especially since my mini that was close to half the price is leather lined. Now, I still love the boy and may very well get one in the near future and I will just have to accept that it may never be a family heirloom but I do love it right now. I just wanted to know has anyone else who loved the boy had difficulty pulling the trigger on buying one? What did you end up doing?

I've not bought one. I don't consider them to be a classic, I won't pay a classic price for them (and fabric lined...no way), and I can't see myself carrying one when I'm older either, and my bags are for life and to hand down to the next generation. They aren't timeless, they are just the fad right now, in my opinion. Karl really pushed them to be his "legacy" and I just don't like the clunky thick chain.

I did buy one before this latest price increase. Small patent metallic black. It will be my one and only. I felt I had to have at least one for my collection. I hadn't realized but yes it is same size as mini, for much more money. I just don't like the chain. Too bulky IMHO especially for the small. But the medium the bag was just too heavy and boxy looking. It was really hard to pull the trigger and I will not do it again.

Totally agree w/ everyones opionions & felt the same way about the boy - finally settled for the so black woc for my collection - perhaps a "real" boy bag in the future futre but i'm good for now :smile: (you know they say never say never) :rolleyes::graucho:

I kinda wanted one in an old medium (in a blk or neutral color) but never was able to get one (sometimes I opted for classics instead) now since the boy prices r going up for cruise... Ill prolly never b able to get one! That's just too expensive...

I was obsessed with getting all of the Chanel "classics" before the price increases, so in one year I added 5 bags. Terrible I know. So because of that and the insane prices I am hesitant to buy a boy although I keep thinking how useful the crossbody chain would be for my lifestyle. I also bought only black Chanels this past year which makes me think I should get a boy in a different color. But when I see a boy, I like it best in black. So my indecision coupled with my guilt have prevented me from pulling the trigger.

i've not bought one. I don't consider them to be a classic, i won't pay a classic price for them (and fabric lined...no way), and i can't see myself carrying one when i'm older either, and my bags are for life and to hand down to the next generation. They aren't timeless, they are just the fad right now, in my opinion. Karl really pushed them to be his "legacy" and i just don't like the clunky thick chain.

+1

I've not bought one. I don't consider them to be a classic, I won't pay a classic price for them (and fabric lined...no way), and I can't see myself carrying one when I'm older either, and my bags are for life and to hand down to the next generation. They aren't timeless, they are just the fad right now, in my opinion. Karl really pushed them to be his "legacy" and I just don't like the clunky thick chain.

+1. Totally agree!

I like the look of them but I think they are so overpriced for what you get. Also, at 33 I feel I'm right on the cusp of being too old to pull it off because there's nothing otherwise trendy or youthful about my style. I agree that these may not wind up being seen as classics 20 years down the line.

This is exactly how I feel!!! I love the Boy bags! They are beautiful but I'm 29 now and I don't see myself loving them the same way 30 years from now. I'll wear my classics until I'm done and want to pass them down, but I don't even know if my future daughter or niece will think the Boy bag is cool then….I just think it's too trendy for the price tag, IMO...

You're not the only one! I haven't been able to find color combo that I really like, when I tried the old medium (black with rhw) in the store it just looked weird on me? Plus the price increase and the fact that it's not leather lined is just another reason to not get it. I think I'll stick with the classics.

I pulled the trigger on the last day of the triple points event at Saks and I am questioning my purchase - I may return it. I really do like the bag, but I am not sure that I am in love with it, and for the price and the fact that it is fabric-lined, I better love that boy! =P

Not sure if I will return or keep just yet.