anyone have a Malemute?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I saw the most spectacular dog the other day. This guy was walking him at the shopping center and everyone was commenting how gorgeous he was. I asked the breed and he said Malemute. I don't know if this is an appropriate breed to keep in a warm climate like San Diego but it sure was impressive looking.

A childhood friend had one growing up. He was a great dog and we lived in the San Joaquin Valley in CA, so super hot summers. Not sure how he survived but he was a great dog. Protective of his kids if I remember correctly, but at the same time the kids could do anything they wanted to him and he wouldn't care.

They are magnificent! Doubt SD weather is ideal. I always feel bad for huskies when I see them in this extremely warm climate. Surely they can find ways to cool down, but it just seems a bit cruel. DH disagrees w/ me.

They are magnificent! Doubt SD weather is ideal. I always feel bad for huskies when I see them in this extremely warm climate. Surely they can find ways to cool down, but it just seems a bit cruel. DH disagrees w/ me.
I agree. Seems they'd be much better off in a colder climate. This one I saw sure was impressive. I asked the guy if it (probably a he as it was large) always looked that way as it looked like it just came from the groomer. All that hair!

husky and malamute are great..
poor dogs, who have to suffer under the warm climate.
but.... still.. they rock the whole street with their appearance!
they sure do. the other breed that I recall getting a lot of attention on the street was a Bouvier.....huge poodle-like dog. But he Malemute was more magnificent I think

They're beautiful dogs. There's one I occasionally see here (NYC). The summers are brutal in the city, so I have wondered how these kinds of dogs do. A neighbor has a Siberian Husky and she seems to do fine though, so who knows..