Anyone have a dog/puppy with an "oral fixation"??

Aug 18, 2008
I know I've been blowing up this forum with questions about rearing a puppy, but mine seems to be coming up with these completely abormal behaviors that google-searching isn't solving. When I ask my Vet, all he says is "Oops, sorry poopsie, you got yourself a Boston Terrier". Well no kidding. I've had 4 before her, and I was prepared for the chewing, digging, hyper, licking, loving, smart doggie I got.

What I wasn't prepared for: what she eats. It is literally ANYTHING she can reach with her paws and drag into her mouth like a cat. Magazines, an entire roll of TP, leaves, plastic, sticks, laundry, bottled household cleansers, acorns, roach traps that I can't even reach, blinds, carpets, baseboards, shoes, bugs drowning in Raid, chewing gum, flowers on bushes, anything that happens to be in the bathroom trash, pens, the comforter, shopping bags, sheets, pine straw, to name a few. She's even tried to drag a lit candle off on herself, as well as jump into the open oven door that was obviously hot. (The last 2, she had never done until she saw her Schnauzer friend do it.)

Long story short: There is NOTHING that dog won't eat. I'm used to BTs bad behavior, but I've never experienced the whole eating of everything they see. Is this something I am doing? Something she is craving? (That's my dad's diagnosis). She is like a child. She always has to be into something. I wish I were embellishing, but after I had a few friends verify that their BTs don't do this, I think something is up. The only things literally within her reach (other than furniture and rugs) are her toys. On occasion, she realizes she can open a cabinet in the kitchen and drag out other things, but that's a little more rare...THANKFULLY. Most everything else is outside in the dog park, or on the occasion I didn't close a door all the way and she kicks it open. Even if I sit something on the counter (she's very small), she figures out how to jump up and drag it down. (Eg: the candles, shopping bags, shoes, pens). I keep things put away, but give her 2 seconds or so, and she's somehow got it in her mouth. What can I do to make the little terrorist stop with her oral fixation? She really has no bounds, even with scolding. If she sees it, she has it in her mouth. Augh, help!!

My dog is the same way. We usually keep his leash on him in the house (it's a short leather leash and isn't heavy) so it's easier to catch him and scold him if he does something wrong. Be consistent and use treats. We keep a bin of toys in our living room and anytime my dog tries to chew something that's not his I take him to the toy box and give him something from there.

have you tried that spray? its for dogs that chew on things they aren't supposed to
i think its called bitter apple?
i know you can't spray everything but on the i used it on wood for my dog and she stopped chewing it after she tasted it

^^ Yup, I tried it. Nothing dissuades her. I was even tempted to try hot sauce or lime (since I heard dogs hate citrus fruits and hot things). Before I went around rubbing food all over my house, I let her lick both just to make sure she'd hate them. Nope, the lime got carried off and gnawed on, and she wanted MORE hot sauce.

sorry i don't have any advice &

i'm sorry you're having trouble...

but that's the funniest post ever

p.s. pls. post a photo of the terrorist

I will post a pic soon! She has grown up a lot since the first one I posted when I got her. I may have to post a pic of the bush she annihilated too. She did it slyly. We'd be walking by going back inside, and she'd just lean over and rip off a huge piece of it. Now the bush is a sad reminder of what once was.

Here are a couple more stories of what she's done:
I was preparing dinner one night, and was smashing garlic cloves under a knife. One of the cloves FLEW off the cutting board and I never could find it. I just figured it must be in the sink somewhere because it wasn't on the floor anywhere. About 5 mins later, I look up (my kitchen overlooks my living room) to see something FLY through the air. And I see her pounce. Then she throws the object again...and pounces. I run over to investigate...she had gotten the garlic in about a millisecond, chewed it to her likeness, and was tossing it all over the house! She had some rank breath for a while after that, but it was one of those times where it was just too funny to scold her.

Earlier this week, I was doing some cleaning and notice that she's being awfully quiet. I find her burrowed up under my bistro table with my blush brush (I didn't close the bathroom door all the way apparently, and she kicked it open). As I was scolding her and getting the brush back, I notice all of the white on her face is hot sparkly NARS orgasm pink. Once again, all I could do was crack up.

Luckily, she isn't very good at hiding her indiscretions, because she smacks when she eats and chews. Think of the loudest person you know who eats with their mouth open and smacks their food. It sounds like that. To me, it's funny, but it grosses most people out.

lol... she sounds like a funny pup with TONS of character!! lol. :amuse: I thought our pup was bad... but she's probably 2 notches calmer... maybe... :sweatdrop:

This one def. is keeping you on your toes. We also can't keep anything we don't want her to chew on the floor... anything that drops on the floor will be in her mouth also. The only thing I could recommend is like what olialm mentioned above... is to keep her leashed to you when you can't have your full attention on her. They have those leashes.. where you can latch around your waist and the other end to her. Tons of chew toys scattered, plenty of exercise.. and maybe even some interactive dog toys to keep that brain focused on something else. She sounds very smart, and whitty.. lol.

http://www.alphadogtoys.com/puzzle_interactive_dog_toys.html
has some nice examples.. i really like the treat balls.. especially if we need to leave her home for a few hours at a time.. or during the day when we're at work. We also have a dog walker come around 3 times a week... that gets some of her pent of energy out.. rather than on the house. :nono:

Keep the stories coming.. she sounds like a riot.. :biggrin:

I don't have any advice being a cat mommy and never having had puppies but your stories made me think of this:

No, I haven't seen your lipstick. Why do you ask?
o9mgdu.jpg

I would buy a Kong (dog chew toy) fill with peanut butter and freeze overnight. He will be much more interested in chewing on the yummy toy than your makeup brush. And it takes HOURS to get the PB out. The only other suggestions I have would be to "childproof" your house and buy a muzzle for times when you can't watch him. You need to get aggressive with the his training and stop the behavior now before he eats something dangerous.

lol... she sounds like a funny pup with TONS of character!! lol. :amuse: I thought our pup was bad... but she's probably 2 notches calmer... maybe... :sweatdrop:

This one def. is keeping you on your toes. We also can't keep anything we don't want her to chew on the floor... anything that drops on the floor will be in her mouth also. The only thing I could recommend is like what olialm mentioned above... is to keep her leashed to you when you can't have your full attention on her. They have those leashes.. where you can latch around your waist and the other end to her. Tons of chew toys scattered, plenty of exercise.. and maybe even some interactive dog toys to keep that brain focused on something else. She sounds very smart, and whitty.. lol.

http://www.alphadogtoys.com/puzzle_interactive_dog_toys.html
has some nice examples.. i really like the treat balls.. especially if we need to leave her home for a few hours at a time.. or during the day when we're at work. We also have a dog walker come around 3 times a week... that gets some of her pent of energy out.. rather than on the house. :nono:

Keep the stories coming.. she sounds like a riot.. :biggrin:

^^Thanks for the link! Yes, she definitely is a character! I thought about getting a Critter Sitter to come let her out as well when I am away for extended periods of time.

I don't have any advice being a cat mommy and never having had puppies but your stories made me think of this:

No, I haven't seen your lipstick. Why do you ask?
o9mgdu.jpg

^^This is hilarious! That's about the same color her face was after the NARS blush incident.

I would buy a Kong (dog chew toy) fill with peanut butter and freeze overnight. He will be much more interested in chewing on the yummy toy than your makeup brush. And it takes HOURS to get the PB out. The only other suggestions I have would be to "childproof" your house and buy a muzzle for times when you can't watch him. You need to get aggressive with the his training and stop the behavior now before he eats something dangerous.

^^I've never heard of freezing the PB in the Kong. I will definitely have to try that.

I froze the Kong last night with the PB, and gave it to her today. She got the PB out fairly quickly, but the taste must have lasted on it, b/c she hasn't offered to do anything except happily play with it since I handed it to her. Thanks for the suggestion!

Great! I'm glad it worked for you. Maybe if you overfill it so when it freezes the PB doesn't slip out?? Either way it sound like progress. :P

I froze the Kong last night with the PB, and gave it to her today. She got the PB out fairly quickly, but the taste must have lasted on it, b/c she hasn't offered to do anything except happily play with it since I handed it to her. Thanks for the suggestion!

I just got a Xolo and is he ever hyper active! He never stops chewing and jumping from couch to couch. There's only one toy that he hasn't destroyed yet. I am going to have to get him a Kong and try that!