Travel Anyone from/been to Malaysia?

tmc089

O.G.
Oct 6, 2007
Random question, I know. One of my roommates this upcoming semester is from Malaysia, I was wondering if there's any major culture differences, etc. that I should know about? Other roommates and I wouldn't want to offend her right off the start lol. TIA :flowers:!!

There are some Malaysian PFers on tPF and hopefully they'll chime in.

I travel to Malaysia for business and enjoy the culture, food, and holidays/customs the population of Malay, Chinese, Indian and Muslim people add to it together.

Just like any new roommate, all of you guys will soon learn all about each other - who's messy and who's neat, food preferences, studying preferences (e.g. home or library), religious & political beliefs, interests/hobbies, "partying" preferences (e.g. drink alcohol or not), etc.

If I were you guys, I'd just do the best to make her feel welcome in your dorm/apartment and include her in your activities. If she's coming to the US from Malaysia, she'll likely appreciate your warmth and friendship.

^^Thanks! I've had roommates before so I know the whole feeling everyone out routine, I just wanted to make sure if there's anything important I should know beforehand :smile:

Oops I mis-read I thought you were wanting to travel there.

If she's muslim you might offend her if you're not familiar with their religion. Their diet is somewhat similar to kosher. If she's another religion you should do fine. They're usually open-minded people in general, kind, generous, and hospitable.

Last edited:
I want to add that there are generally 2 types -- extremely open minded where their mind is like a sponge, and extremely conservative, regardless of religion. Just see which one you get.

I knew of this Malay girl who has devout Muslim parents, her father is some sort of high ranking cleric in the mosque. She was everything her parents hoped she'd not turn out to be, and when her parents returned home she ditched her Muslim head dress and wore bikini tops and shorts most of the time, by the end of the year she was well known as the "village slut" among the uni's undergrad guys. :lol:

^^ Wow! There must've been a little family drama there lol. I went to a Catholic HS so we learned alot about different religions, so I'm aware of a few of the Muslim traditions and whatnot. Thank you all for the help!

I used to live in malaysia for 3 years. I moved from U.S so I was first so devastated by their culture for the first couple month... But I learned alot.. They are very nice people.
There are malay (Dark skin), Chinese, and Indian in malaysia. So the it really depends. Malay is usually muslim which they dont eat pork, chinese is usually buddhist, and indians are hinduism.
They're english might sound funny. like they would add lah, uh and all those things to end of the sentence. Well thats the way they speak english in malaysia..

I was born in Malaysia (but am Chinese). :heart: I would have to say that Malaysians are generally very friendly and have an "easygoing" attitude. :yes:

The above poster was correct, certain religions or ethnic groups will differ (i.e. those of muslim religion do not eat pork) but because Malaysia is quite multicultural (all sorts of Asians in once place) how your roommate will be like is a wild guess until you actually meet her. I'm sure she'll turn out to be nice though! :yes: My own university roommate said that I was the first Asian girl she'd ever seen, and by the end of the week we were best friends, and stayed that way all throughout uni, lol :yahoo:

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions! :heart:

I am Malay muslim living in the States and yes it is good to know more if the new roomate is muslim as there are certain religious customs that we adhere strictly regardless where we live . Dogs, Alcohol, opposite sex hanging out together,dress codes, eating pork (Bacon, pepperoni, ham, gelatin ) , observing fast during the sacred month of Ramadhan , (which is this Sept) are things that we follow religiously ( well the majority of course) . We are very friendly, famous for our hospitality and very welcoming , so being exactly that would make that new person at home.

We speak english very quickly and true we add 'lah' in alot of the end of our English sentence..
For instance 'yesLAH', 'NoLAH', 'I am tiredLAH', 'Can or not?':P

I hope you have a good time with your new roomate. I am very homesick just talking about being a Malaysian...:yes:

I am from Malaysia, a chinese. You dont have to worry about anything generally , they are very friendly . But if she is a muslim then just try to respect their religious customs.

Last edited: