Anyone for a 14,000 pound regular birkin?

Jan 20, 2007
As I am holed up in a remote corner of Alaska for the summer, I find myself with lots of idle time on my hands. A couple of days ago, I read the thread about the current price of a birkin in the UK and how there has been at least one 10% price increase every year for the past few years. It seemed like it was just accepted that H corporate HQ would always continue to do this as long as sales remained at least flat.

Being bored, I threw a calculation into excel assuming just one 10% increase every year for the next 20 years, and was a bit surprised to find out that:

-in 5 years, a normal birkin in the UK would be 8800 pounds (about $15,000)
-in 10 years, a normal birkin would be about 14000 pounds, (about $24,000)
-in 15 years, normal birkin would be about 23,000 pounds (about $39,000)
-in 20 years, a normal birkin would be about 37000 pounds (about $62,600)

YIKES! Hopefully the annual 10% increase will not be a permanent part of H strategy because I really can't see myself paying even $20,000 for a regular leather bag!

Very interesting thread CF

TBH it still smarts that the bag I bought in April last year was £4080 but is now £4860! Especially when you consider the majority of women would balk at the idea of paying £780.00 for a bag

That part of Alaska must really be boring ;)

Oh my! Thanks for the Math, better start hoarding now then;)

Oops, cross post with mooks, yes that must be annoying to think about mooks! So much money in such a relatively short amount of time!

Kat

Last edited:
Seriously. I need to show this to DH to justify why it's better to buy H bags now instead of later! Unfortunately, DH would ***** my Excel spreadsheet with 10 other very dry and boring ones, and I'd lose interest VERY quickly.

Incidently, does anyone know when H started these annual increases?

Seriously. I need to show this to DH to justify why it's better to buy H bags now instead of later! Unfortunately, DH would ***** my Excel spreadsheet with 10 other very dry and boring ones, and I'd lose interest VERY quickly.

Incidently, does anyone know when H started these annual increases?

I would receive the exact same response.....either that or raucous laughter...

Very interesting thread CF

TBH it still smarts that the bag I bought in April last year was £4080 but is now £4860! Especially when you consider the majority of women would balk at the idea of paying £780.00 for a bag

That part of Alaska must really be boring ;)

:P i mst tell DH i need more H :graucho: before they get too pricey :nuts:

Good point! To hedge against that I will hoard all the neutrals and hopefully sell 3-4 to get 1 new/current color. Glad my mba is being used.:biggrin:

^^yeah, but if you hoard now, it doesn't mean you will be immune to any of the delicious colors H releases in the future.

even if it's 14,000 pounds. :happydance: