Anyone experienced an uncleared e-check payment?

chinkee21

My Dream Ring!
O.G.
Nov 6, 2007
I listed a purse on ebay and sent paypal invoice shortly after the auction ended with a winner, they paid with an e-check via Paypal and I received a message from them informing me that the check will clear in 3-5 days, so I wait. 5 days have passed and I receive another email from Paypal saying that the check will not clear for another week or so, I asked them why, they simply said sometimes it takes long. Ok, so I wait somemore, this really wasn't an issue since I am in no rush anyway. And today I got email from Paypal saying that the e-check did not clear. I emailed the buyer and informed them, they asked me if maybe the problem was on my end. I just politely replied that I don't think the problem came from my end since all I did was accept and wait for it to clear, right? Any of you experienced this before:confused1:

I read about this problem somewhere on here recently. The E check didn't clear and she was advised to double check it with Paypal. If not cleared for sure, then ask buyer to use something like Western Union if she really wants the bag. Otherwise, file for non-paying bidder and get your fees back and relist.

Yeah I am dealing with this now. I bought & paid for something and the seller sold it to someone else while the auction was going on, and didnt cancel her listing. Sooo...she refunds me via echeck. It took almost 2 weeks to clear because it had to go thru 2 cycles for some reason.
The first time it didn't clear, so it automatically tries again....it took forever to clear. Now I'm just waiting to get my $5 back because f'in paypal charged an echeck fee for receiving $.

I haven't had one in awhile, but the last one I had took 13 days to clear and it wasn't the buyer's fault.

It actually cleared the buyer's bank within 4 days and then Paypal just told me they were working on it. I think it is there way of getting more interest off the money.

I'll tell you what it means, it means that the first time around it bounced. So they are trying it again. They only try two times, so if for some reason it bounces the second time, it won't clear at all and PP will cancel the transaction.

i read about this problem somewhere on here recently. The e check didn't clear and she was advised to double check it with paypal. If not cleared for sure, then ask buyer to use something like western union if she really wants the bag. Otherwise, file for non-paying bidder and get your fees back and relist.
ps do not send the bag until you know the e check is cleared for sure (no matter how indignant and/or innocent the buyer is acting)!!!!

this happened to me the one time i used an echeck -- for reasons that were beyond my control and not my fault, the echeck took forever to clear. the seller got really upset even though i offered to try to cancel it and send another form of payment (it was too late to cancel it though). he ended up leaving me no feedback (which i guess is better than negative) but it bummed me out because it was paypal's fault, not mine.

ps do not send the bag until you know the e check is cleared for sure (no matter how indignant and/or innocent the buyer is acting)!!!!

Yes, I have not mailed out the bag yet, as I said I am not really rushing for the $, and the buyer is also communicating with me all thru this so not a problem for now. I don't know what they will say now after I informed them that the problem wasn't from my side.

This has just happened to me. The buyer paid with an e-check and it said it would clear in about 5 days although it stated expected clearing date 3d of Sep. which was alot longer than 5 days. I got an email yesterday saying that the check did not clear and the buyer emailed me telling me the problem was on her end. I told her that I would hold the item until she was able to pay me (another week or so). I am hoping it gets sorted chinkee..both for you and me!

Kat

I have had e-checks from canadians take weeks and weeks to clear. And I have had some take weeks then not clear.

Do not ship till you see in your paypal account that it cleared and says to ship.

E-mail the buyer and inform them. If they have a problem send them to paypal.

Yes, I've had them bounce before. I had one a few years back that bounced twice. It's probably still bouncing. I never got paid for any eChecks that have ever bounced. I had to file NPB claims against them and I won, of course.

Hopefully, since your buyer is communicating with you, everything will be okay. Echecks work like regular checks in that the only reason they bounce is because the money is not there to cover them. It's not you. It's her. And she knows it.

Here is a heads up for everyone, never never send anything until not only the echeck clears but u have transferred the funds out of pp. I never send anything out until the funds are in my bank act. I do not trust pp and I am not being paranoid. I have heard to many stories. If u want to purchase something u can always use a cc or your bank act. But again I never ship anything until the funds are cleared and out of pp. It takes an extra couple of days for it to go to your bank act. The buyer is usually fine with this. Do not assume just because cash is sitting in pp they cannot put a hold on it. Get your $ out of their and protect yourself. :thinking:

Thanks for your inputs, ladies! I received an email from buyer today asking me to send another PP invoice to them and that they will pay instant cash instead. Do you think there's ared flag here:confused1:

I'll tell you what it means, it means that the first time around it bounced. So they are trying it again. They only try two times, so if for some reason it bounces the second time, it won't clear at all and PP will cancel the transaction.

Well, in my case it wasn't a bounced check. Both the buyer and I called Paypal every other day like a tag team. Then my buyer wanted them to reverse it so she could just pay instantly or with a credit card and they refused until it was complete and then I could refund her.

It was SO ridiculous. At that time there were 3 or 4 others on here that said the same thing, the eCheck was WAY past the deadline and still hadn't cleared. Paypal told them the same thing, it was glitch in the system that they were working to resolve.