Anyone experience darkening of camel patent decollete

Poshly27

Jan 3, 2010
Hi Ladies -

I was just wondering if any TPFers who bought camel patent decollete from Saks sometime last year have noticed any color darkening around the inseam/stitches of the shoe? I've been storing the shoe in the shoe box ever since I bought it and I've only worn them out once. Last month, I took them out of the box and noticed the patent leather by the inseams on both the shoes have darkened. I took them to the cobbler to see if he could do anything about it but the cobbler advised me to take it back to Saks. He thought Saks sold me a defective pair as the the darkening was happening from the inside of the leather and sipping through to the outside. He said this can sometime happen if the leather dyeing process was not done probably. I took it back to Saks and the SA who helped me acknowledged that is was indeed defective and accepted my return. Besides, he noticed that the shoe still looked brand new as I hardly had any scratches on the sole!

I wish I would have taken some pictures to share with you ladies but I completely forgot! However, I noticed there's one other pair in e*ay right now that seems to have the same issue.

My question is - is it normal for the light colored patent leather to darken over time or did I just ended up purchasing from a bad batch of shoes? All the other CL patent leather shoes I have are dark (burgundy, black) colors and I've not noticed this issue on any of them. I'm really in love with this color and would love to get another pair but I'm afraid I'll run into this issue again. I just got lucky this time as Saks was willing to accept my return after more than 6 months and since I've barely worn the shoe.

OMG yes!!! I was just noticing that yesterday and was like, well, damn! I haven't worn them with jeans or under any circumstance that they should be doing that.

Hi nexisfan - I initially thought it was something I did too until I took it to the cobbler. Thankfully, he insisted that I take it back to Saks and let them know that it's not normal to have an even discoloration at the seams.

Hi Aegis - Yes, it's scary and sad! :sad: Looks like Saks is completely sold out of the camel patent in 36.5 and my SA Jonathan said they might not be bringing in more as they have a newer decollete in the pinkish nude leather. :crybaby:

Does any one have a pic?

I just don't understand how the inside (beige leather) can make the outside (light color) dark? If the inside lining was dark, then color transfer could occur. So I'm not understanding this at all, unless the inside was also in contact with something dark.

I wish I would have remembered to snap a picture! I took the shoes straight to Saks after talking to the shoe repair person at Fortunas (MD) and it didn't cross my mind to take a picture until after I've returned the shoes. The cobbler said he has only seen one other shoe that had the same issue and he thinks that the leather dyeing process was probably not done thoroughly and the discoloring is much more obvious because of the lighter color.

crazzee_shopper - I'm thinking the same. Perhaps I just ended up purchasing from a bad batch of shoes. I got mine last year January.

Pic of what's going on with mine. It kinda looks like on the right I just scuffed something, but I can't imagine what. But the left one is definitely darkening not from external forces.

IMAG0641.jpg

Hi Ladies -

I was just wondering if any TPFers who bought camel patent decollete from Saks sometime last year have noticed any color darkening around the inseam/stitches of the shoe? I've been storing the shoe in the shoe box ever since I bought it and I've only worn them out once. Last month, I took them out of the box and noticed the patent leather by the inseams on both the shoes have darkened. I took them to the cobbler to see if he could do anything about it but the cobbler advised me to take it back to Saks. He thought Saks sold me a defective pair as the the darkening was happening from the inside of the leather and sipping through to the outside. He said this can sometime happen if the leather dyeing process was not done probably. I took it back to Saks and the SA who helped me acknowledged that is was indeed defective and accepted my return. Besides, he noticed that the shoe still looked brand new as I hardly had any scratches on the sole!

I wish I would have taken some pictures to share with you ladies but I completely forgot! However, I noticed there's one other pair in e*ay right now that seems to have the same issue.

My question is - is it normal for the light colored patent leather to darken over time or did I just ended up purchasing from a bad batch of shoes? All the other CL patent leather shoes I have are dark (burgundy, black) colors and I've not noticed this issue on any of them. I'm really in love with this color and would love to get another pair but I'm afraid I'll run into this issue again. I just got lucky this time as Saks was willing to accept my return after more than 6 months and since I've barely worn the shoe.
good call on taking those back :tup:
i purchased a pair of DECOLLETE CAMEL PATENT CALF at Sacks in 2010 and i also keep them in the box - and the leather has not changed color

Pic of what's going on with mine. It kinda looks like on the right I just scuffed something, but I can't imagine what. But the left one is definitely darkening not from external forces.

IMAG0641.jpg
oh no! im sorry this happened -it is impossible to reverse color transfer on patent leather... my CL SA recommends to store the shoes inside the dust bag because even the box can ruin them.

I bought mines last year in February, and now noticed the darkening of the leather also. I think mine looks really bad. It's on the back and sides! Yikes..Here's a picture of it. I don't think I could wear it out, it looks bad. I'm not sure what to do. I bought them at Saks. :sad:

Attachments

• phodecto 2.JPG
    phodecto 2.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 348
  • photdeco 1.JPG
    photdeco 1.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 339
I bought mines last year in February, and now noticed the darkening of the leather also. I think mine looks really bad. It's on the back and sides! Yikes..Here's a picture of it. I don't think I could wear it out, it looks bad. I'm not sure what to do. I bought them at Saks. :sad:

Hi Weirdlo23 - Thank you so much for posting the pictures and I'm so sorry this happened to you too! :sad: :hugs: The shoes I returned looked exactly like the pictures you posted :crybaby: I'm appalled at the thought that the quality issue on these shoes only surfaced after almost a year! Is there any way you can contact your SA and see if he/she can do anything about it? It's clearly not something we did :sad: Good luck!!

On another note - A couple of SAs I spoke with said that Saks won't be getting any more of the camel patent décolleté. I called up CL boutique and turns out they won't be restocking either. I'm beginning to wonder if CL realized the quality issue on this particular shoes? Maybe I'm just better off getting a tried and true preowned pair from the older batch?:confused1:

Poshly27 - I spoke to Saks and they told me they cannot do anything about it, since the length of time is too long to return anything. I'm so sad. It really looks ugly and I don't want to wear them anymore. I sent CL an email letting them know that I'm disappointed in the quality control of the shoes. They say they are well aware of what's going on. But anyways good luck to you too! :hugs: