Anyone experience Coach jewelry plating wearing off?

Jul 17, 2008
I am wondering if anyone has had issues with the gold plating wearing off on your Coach jewelry?

I have had this necklace for 2 years now, and I wear it maybe once or twice a week during the summer months, April through Sept. Last summer I noticed the plating started wearing off. Today I just went to put it on and it looks worse than I remembered! It also has a very metallic smell to it. It's annoying that something that I paid around $100 for and should be of high quality is deteriorating this quickly.

If anyone else has experienced this with their jewelry, did you have any success getting the item fixed? And if so, how?

Thanks ladies!!!
IMAG0051.jpg
IMAG0052.jpg
IMAG0053.jpg

All plated jewelry wears eventually. I bring in my wedding set once or twice a year to get replated, as they're white gold.

:true:

This is why I won't buy plated jewelry. It's either sterling silver (which I can polish myself) or real gold for me! My skin is especially tricky compared to other people's as well; I have to polish my SS jewelry almost every time I wear it...
Even though Coach jewelry is adorable (especially the bangles - the legacy stripe calls out to me!), I just know I'm not going to be happy throwing away money on it when my skin will be eating the finish off of it :cry: It's honestly no better than the cheapo jewelry with plating - it is just expensive because it has the Coach name on it. That's why I refrain from buying... not trying to be a downer, jut trying to tell the truth about plated jewelry.

Last edited:
:true:

It's honestly no better than the cheapo jewelry with plating - it is just expensive because it has the Coach name on it. That's why I refrain from buying... not trying to be a downer, jut trying to tell the truth about plated jewelry.

Exactly. It stinks, but it's no better than jewelry from Forever 21 :-s

Yup it's true all costume jewlery will tarnish overtime. I just make sure I don't spray perfume on it and I take off rings when I lotion my hands and wash them. When I store them in my jewlery case I make sure to seperate them so they don't touch each other. Or put them in their own jewlery pouch.

I have been told to place a piece of chalk in with your jewlery. It absorbs the moisture in the air that causes some of the tarnishing. It works - especially with silver. Also wrapping them in a soft cloth will help the life of it...sorry you are having problems with it.