Anyone ever NOT use a handbag?

There are definitely times when I don't carry a purse - concerts, sporting events, theme parks. And when I am out with my DD, if I have a diaper bag, I don't carry a purse in addition, I just stick my essentials in her bag to get out the door.

I used to take my bags everywhere, but now I'll try to put whatever I can in my pockets if I don't have that much stuff. I hate wristlets because they're hanging sideways so I'm always worrying about my money falling out of it for some reason.

I got a pair of men's jeans one, and boy did I love them! They had such deep pockets that carried everything I needed.

I started carrying a purse in 3rd grade, we were going on a field trip, and someone had given my mother a new purse as a gift which she had never used. My mother gave me the bag, put all my things for the field trip in it, and asked if I'd like to keep it. I eagerly agreed, and thus began my fascination with handbags. I feel naked if I'm not carrying my purse.

My mother drilled into my head that MEN carried things in their pockets; women carried bags. Oh, how I hated carrying a purse when she decided it was "time" for me to do so! But then again, I hated wearing a bra when the time came for that, too, so some things just take some getting used to. Now, however many years later, I consider both things essential and I won't leave home without them. I still cannot get past my mother's bias that only men (or manly women) carry things in their pockets, despite me knowing that isn't true. Unless I am swimming, I always have a bag (and even then, I always have a bag on shore).

No, everytime I go out I literally put my whole life in my bag. It has everything I need in case of anything. I have water, food, entertainment devices, wallet, tissues, makeup bag, and etc. When I don't have my bag with me, I would feel naked, like a part of me is missing. Plus it adds an extra touch to my daily outfits, making it so much more fun and sophisticated.

Never. I have always carried a bag since I was a teenager. The only time I don't carry a bag is when I shower and sleep but even when I sleep I put my bag on the bedside table.

Me too - I reserve a space in the bookcase next to my bed to keep my bag in, so if there is a fire alarm during the night I can grab it quickly!

Thanks for all the replies everyone - I guess the best I can do is reduce the size of my bags, not eliminate them. :biggrin:

Omggg...until about 7 years ago I NEVER carried a handbag. I just never felt the need to. I carried my wallet, keys, and phone in my hand, and that was it for me! I thought handbags were too "prissy" and stuffy. I can honestly say I HATED handbags and couldn't see the point in ever carrying one. This was before I knew ANYTHING about designers, mind you. Haha...I didn't even KNOW what a designer bag even WAS! Now, 7 years later, I am a hardcore handbag addict owning more than 300 authentic bags and couldn't be happier! Who would have known?

I used to carry big handbags too, but then I noticed that my left arm got bigger muscles (lol) so I decided that it was time to only carry the medium/small ones and sold the bigger ones. Now what I have to have in my bag is my continental wallet, make-up pouch and cellphones. I would never put a glass of water or food in there. I know it sounds a lot of hassles but I always carry a small bottle of water on my hand. That way even a bag the size of 12x7x5 inches is sufficient. I'm petite so I don't wanna be dwarfed by my bag! Lol!

Me too - I reserve a space in the bookcase next to my bed to keep my bag in, so if there is a fire alarm during the night I can grab it quickly!

Thanks for all the replies everyone - I guess the best I can do is reduce the size of my bags, not eliminate them. :biggrin:

I don't know but i think i always wear bags almost as much as i remember. Even when i was a kid i always have some kind of a bag to put my fortune lol yeah when i was a kid i always carry my precious rubber erasers, hair band, stickers etc whether it's a small sanrio bag or a tin lunch box bag

I just love bags!!!

Was that book any good? I recently picked it up at my local dollar store for only a buck! Didn't get around to read it yet...

Thanks!

Wow - and I though I got a good deal getting it for $5 at my church's used book sale! I enjoyed it - a lot of information about the history of Louis Vuitton and how they are made, how 'luxury' items became available to 'everyone', information about counterfeit bag manufacture/sale (will put off anyone who isn't against them already!).

My mother drilled into my head that MEN carried things in their pockets; women carried bags. Oh, how I hated carrying a purse when she decided it was "time" for me to do so! But then again, I hated wearing a bra when the time came for that, too, so some things just take some getting used to.

Haha...this brings back memories of my mom too! I was such a little tomboy when I was younger and I absolutely DESPISED the many attempts my mom made to buy and make me carry a purse. I remember I was like 12, and since I started my period, she thought I NEEDED to carry a purse (to put feminine products in, I'd assume?). I hated this and I hated all the little girls in my school running around with their little purses, talking about their periods...lol.

Omggg...until about 7 years ago I NEVER carried a handbag. I just never felt the need to. I carried my wallet, keys, and phone in my hand, and that was it for me! I thought handbags were too "prissy" and stuffy. I can honestly say I HATED handbags and couldn't see the point in ever carrying one. This was before I knew ANYTHING about designers, mind you. Haha...I didn't even KNOW what a designer bag even WAS! Now, 7 years later, I am a hardcore handbag addict owning more than 300 authentic bags and couldn't be happier! Who would have known?

Wowzers, that's one massive transformation! What sparked your interest in handbags that eventually led to over 300 bags?