Anyone ever had old jewellery remade?

Lillia

Aug 22, 2009
I have a number of 14 kt gold chains I don't wear any more, and I was thinking of having them melted down and remade by a jeweller. Has anyone ever done this? Were the results good? I know you shouldn't mix different golds, but I thought each chain would probably be enough to make a single bangle or equally something simple.

Or is it better to just sell it for the gold value?

In order to be able to use your old gold, the best way is for the jeweler to smelt it down.
That gets rids of the alloys and leaves pure gold. If you don't do that, you can end up with a porous product.

I'd probably sell the gold unless it had sentimental value to you.

Thanks. A local jewellery store owner offered to buy my chains a couple of years ago, but went out of business before I could make the deal. I'll ask around. I'm sure someone will take them. It just seems like such a waste to have it all just sitting there.

I often have broken jewellery remade into something else. I keep a bag with all odd ear rings, broken chains etc and then get them made into a bracelet or a cuff.

If you mix grades of gold eg 9ct and 18ct they can only stamp 9ct on it.

I am currently thinking of have a nursing bracelet made with beads for the hours and 15 minute intervals. (I can't find any nice ones on the web).