anyone ever bought two cars at once?

amanda

I Bleed Georgia Red
Oct 18, 2005
I'm not sure if I'm going to find someone that's ever been in this situation, but I figured it was worth a shot. I was talking to my mom today, and she said that she and my dad are both due for new cars (my mom's Volvo is 11 years old, my dad's BMW is 7, they are NOT people that place a high importance on having the newest, coolest stuff or that like to play fast and loose with their money), and they were considering both replacing theirs at the same time since they're both interested in looking at BMWs for their next cars.

My mom is looking at an X3 and my dad at a 540i. My brother and I are grown and they just have Lucy the Bulldog to chauffeur around, and they would both be retired by the time they purchase these cars (my mom already is, my dad will be in a few months), so they don't need something massive for child-hauling or anything. They would probably pay for the majority of both cars in cash and finance the rest if they could get a very low rate, and their credit is off-the-charts excellent (like I said, they don't play around with their money). In this situation, would you expect a deal that is significantly better than what you would be offered for purchasing just one car? Or does the 'volume' of the purchase not come in to play? I would think that it would, particularly when buying two luxury cars in the current economic climate, but I obviously don't have any experience in the matter. TIA!

I dont think it is too uncommon. My mom and dad used to lease cars but then they decided to buy cars. They bought there old cars at the same time. Then my mom's car was first to go and then because they were used the same and the same years old, my dad's car had to go shortly after. So not until recently did my mom and dad buy their cars because it is cheaper to buy cars now and the car dealers are eager to sell cars. My parents are very well off right now because they are both in medicine so they are taking advantage of the bad economy. I dont think its crazy to buy two cars at once it doesnt mean that you are crazy rich just fortunate and able to take advantage of these times. My mom bought a 2008 Porsche Cayenne (used with very little miles) and my dad has a 2009 Mercedes cl-class. They are not crazy rich but they are doing well.

My In-Laws bought their newest cars together last year with a large cash payment payment and small financing on the rest also. They have excellent credit and were given a great price since they bought them both at the same time, much better than it would have been had they only bought one car. I would expect your parents would be able to get good discount with minimal haggling since they are getting two cars, especially in this financial climate.

There is only one bmw dealership in my city, so they don't budge much except offer 2.9% APR. Have your parents try those free negotiation services-AMEX/Costco/Sams club offers etc? also check w/your parent's insurance company, they may offer some discount for new car purchase-mine offer 5k incentive off Benz :yes:

yup. we did. but that was before this horrible downturn. we did get a great deal. not sure how that would pan out today but I would certainly try it. no harm in that chickiepie.

Thanks for the feedback - my parents are people that don't buy new cars until they actually NEED them, so they've never found themselves in the situation of both needing/wanting a new one at the same time before (my dad commutes a longer distance, so he gets new ones more often than my mom does). Getting a new car every year or two is a totally alien concept, so we weren't sure how often stuff like this is done.

BF's parents bought two Hondas - Accord and Prelude - brand new in 2001, after the economic downturn following the September 11 attacks. They're repeat Honda buyers, and I think they got a good deal on both cars.

His mother hates driving, and drives only three miles to and from work during the week, so the Prelude is still in excellent condition, eight years later. His dad traded in the Accord for a Pilot a few months ago, and also received a good deal.

I think my dad and stepmom did this a couple of years ago with their cars. They ended up buying a Toyota Land Cruiser as the family car and to tow the boat, and leasing a Toyota Corolla for my stepmom, who does a ton of driving for work.

Definitely no harm in trying to get a good deal if you're buying two cars from the same dealer!

my dad bought two trucks at the same time in 2003. they wer "hail damaged" (hardly at all) and was a repeat buyer from the seller, so they gave him a REAL good price.

i don't see why anyone else couldn't get a good deal when buying at the same time from the same dealership. just have good haggling skills.

I would go in and say they both need to get new cars but they arent sure if they both want BMW's. Then ask for a price for both seperate and together. Then they can see what is the better deal. Who knows they might come out ahead buying seperate.

We leased two didn't buy, an Audi and a Porsche. Got a great deal on both at the time and they are calling me back for more :tup: leases are almost finished and I love Audi :heart: In these times you can get an incredible deal if you stick out the process to get there ;)