Anyone ever bought shipping insurance, then they lost the item, but you're able to file a successful claim?

wimp

(◉ ·· ◉)
Sep 28, 2014
Seriously considering sending my new bag to Leather Surgeons but the problem is that i'm in Canada and i'm paranoid about it getting lost in transit. I'm happy to pay for shipping insurance but i'd be devastated if they were to deny my claim. Online searches seem to yield only the horror stories so just curious if anyone has any success stories.

Also heard that you need a receipt to show the value; I bought the bag on eBay and paid through PayPal so I imagine this should suffice since I have an invoice.

Curious to hear your stories! TIA!

Seriously considering sending my new bag to Leather Surgeons but the problem is that i'm in Canada and i'm paranoid about it getting lost in transit. I'm happy to pay for shipping insurance but i'd be devastated if they were to deny my claim. Online searches seem to yield only the horror stories so just curious if anyone has any success stories.

Also heard that you need a receipt to show the value; I bought the bag on eBay and paid through PayPal so I imagine this should suffice since I have an invoice.

Curious to hear your stories! TIA!
Perhaps contact leather surgeons to inquire how their l9ngndistance customers handle this. I just sent bags to a third party professional for services, and she sent me a shipping invoice with the amount of insurance added (its via her own contract with her insurance co; akin to jewelers insurance. This way, I did not have to go to UPS or FedEx and ask for a huge amount do insurance and have undue attention paid to my package. The only down side was that I had to pack it myself (an inner box inside a larger box), but it was a small price to pay for discretion. I have heard that fedex and ups are sometimes reluctant to insure high value items themselves and prefer you contract for your own, but I would have no idea how to do this.

Reactions: wimp
Thanks so much for the info! I finally received the bag and it's actually in way better condition than it looked in the seller's photos so I've decided that I don't need to send it in after all (I'm just going to get 2 more paid authentications to really ease my mind). I did email FedEx with some questions so when they respond, I'll post it here in case anyone find this thread and wants to know :smile:

Also in my conversation with leather surgeons, they said that they ask you to declare the value of the repair, however, they can insure it for up to $50,000 and it costs $0.90 per $100. Hopefully this info is helpful for anyone finding this thread :biggrin:

Just wanted to add some extra info from leather surgeons:

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide shipping labels outside of the contiguous US, so we have to ask that you handle shipping your item(s) and we will add the return costs to your invoice.

We always ask our international customers to please do the following:

• Make the value of the shipment the cost of the repairs
  • Clearly note on your shipping paperwork that the package is being sent for repairs/alterations
That helps us (and you) avoid being taxed as if we purchased the bag. We will use the same guidelines when returning the piece. Depending on your country’s laws, you may be taxed, but it should only be on the cost of repair.

With any shipment, it is recommended you use some sort of stuffing in the box, make sure the label is affixed securely, and include a second copy of the shipping label inside the box in case the first one is somehow damaged.

We also have the ability to insure your shipment at a rate of about 90 cents per 100 dollars of insurance, each way. If you’d like to insure your shipment, please email us the total amount you would like to insure the package for (not the rate that you would pay) along with a photo of your shipping label. We also ask you to note the insurance amount on your Service Request Form. For example, if you would like your return shipment insured for $5000 please write “$5000” in the insurance field (not $45). We will apply the same insurance to both shipments and add the costs to your invoice.

Insurance claims will be paid on either the amount of insurance purchased or the fair market value of the item, whichever is less, so please do not insure an item for more than it is worth.

They have been really helpful in answering all of my questions so I am definitely impressed so far. If I lived in the US, i'd do it in a heartbeat but crossing the border just adds too much extra risk for me. Still thought i'd share this info in case it's helpful for anyone who finds this thread later :smile:

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide shipping labels outside of the contiguous US, so we have to ask that you handle shipping your item(s) and we will add the return costs to your invoice.

• Clearly note on your shipping paperwork that the package is being sent for repairs/alterations
That helps us (and you) avoid being taxed as if we purchased the bag. We will use the same guidelines when returning the piece. Depending on your country’s laws, you may be taxed, but it should only be on the cost of repair.

With any shipment, it is recommended you use some sort of stuffing in the box, make sure the label is affixed securely, and include a second copy of the shipping label inside the box in case the first one is somehow damaged.

We also have the ability to insure your shipment at a rate of about 90 cents per 100 dollars of insurance, each way. If you’d like to insure your shipment, please email us the total amount you would like to insure the package for (not the rate that you would pay) along with a photo of your shipping label. We also ask you to note the insurance amount on your Service Request Form. For example, if you would like your return shipment insured for $5000 please write “$5000” in the insurance field (not $45). We will apply the same insurance to both shipments and add the costs to your invoice.

Insurance claims will be paid on either the amount of insurance purchased or the fair market value of the item, whichever is less, so please do not insure an item for more than it is worth.

They have been really helpful in answering all of my questions so I am definitely impressed so far. If I lived in the US, i'd do it in a heartbeat but crossing the border just adds too much extra risk for me. Still thought i'd share this info in case it's helpful for anyone who finds this thread later :smile:

This is very helpful information, thank you. Like you, I am also in Canada and I am also wary of sending such high value items across the border for repairs. I've had the same issue with high value fountain pens that I own that have needed alterations/repairs but I have been able to find a good Canadian company that does this work instead of using the well known U.S. ones.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone in Canada who is reputable that does repairs of luxury, designer handbags to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC1 and wimp

Thanks so much for this information! I'm in the same exact boat as you and was fretting over sending my bag cross borders.

Reactions: wimp