Anyone else underwhelmed/confused about the classic box red?

celinestorm

May 6, 2018
I went into a boutique yesterday hoping to pick up my dream classic red box, which I haven't examined much in person before. To my surprise it was a more subdued red than I expected based on all the great pics online. I expected a bright, clean, poppy, neutral-leaning-bluish red, the kind you see in the Trio, like these (images from Google):
red-celine-box.jpg song-of-style-celine-box-bag1.jpg

Instead I found it a bit more muted and I almost thought it was the burgundy at first. This is Wendyslookbook wearing it against a jacket in the fire-engine red colour I was expected which illustrates the difference really well:

celine-box-bag-1-407.jpg

I asked the SA if it was the same red I was thinking of, and showed her pics - she assured me these are all the shade "RED" including the one in the store, and it was just the difference in lighting and images. It is the same dye shade used on the Trio red, but the types of leather pick up the colour differently so the trio looks more like the bright, true red I wanted.

I wondered if what I had actually wanted / had in my head was perhaps a seasonal Poppy or some other shade? Anyway it made me a bit sad and was enough of a shock that I couldn't justify getting a red box, I just wasn't in love with it. Which was good for my wallet, but then I saw a tan natural calfskin and my jaw dropped, my heart skipped a beat, it was the feeling I thought I was going to have with the red box......... SO I walked away with the tan AND a red large trio which was on my list anyway to get before it's potentially discontinued :O :O

Anyway, everyone always raves about Celine's perfect red, but I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same or maybe if anyone even thinks I could be thinking of the wrong colour or a past seasonal shade or something!! Or maybe it's just the Celine boutique lighting and I would have been happy with a red as soon as I brought it outside!!

Also, sadly the SA didn't have any intel on what's being discontinued. But she said the tan calfskin is considered seasonal, so if Hedi keeps only the classic Box colours, the tan will be gone. Whereas the red might still be there in the future - although again, who knows if there will be any redesign or accentless logo..

If a colour doesn’t sing to you then I agree you shouldn’t buy it but I can understand how disappointing it was for you.

However the tan is a fabulous colour and it was instant love and you managed to get your beloved red shade in the trio which is a versatile bag so double congratulations.

I wanted a cloud luggage but couldn’t get one as I waited too long and was given a pearly blue by my SA who said it was very similar. I’ve realised it isn’t blue, it’s grey but I love grey too and I am absolutely not disappointed it’s not like the cloud colour. The lighting definitely makes a difference for sure - especially clear sunlight versus indoor lightbulbs.

I’m visiting my SA tomorrow and as he’s the store manager he may have intel he’s willing to share :ghi5:

Enjoy your beautiful Phoebe bags :flowers:

Reactions: SakuraSakura
If a colour doesn’t sing to you then I agree you shouldn’t buy it but I can understand how disappointing it was for you.

However the tan is a fabulous colour and it was instant love and you managed to get your beloved red shade in the trio which is a versatile bag so double congratulations.

I wanted a cloud luggage but couldn’t get one as I waited too long and was given a pearly blue by my SA who said it was very similar. I’ve realised it isn’t blue, it’s grey but I love grey too and I am absolutely not disappointed it’s not like the cloud colour. The lighting definitely makes a difference for sure - especially clear sunlight versus indoor lightbulbs.

I’m visiting my SA tomorrow and as he’s the store manager he may have intel he’s willing to share :ghi5:

Enjoy your beautiful Phoebe bags :flowers:
Thank you for your well wishes!! Just looked up the pearl colour and it is gooorgeous :loveeyes:

Ooh hope your SA can share some goss!! So much speculation and the site is going to be down for so long...

Reactions: BlueCherry