Anyone else put off by the fox tail???

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovecoachmore

Aug 21, 2008
Just 2 weeks prior to purchasing my 1st ever LV bag, and I'm having a gut check moment about those damn fox tails!!!

I know it's kinda weird that I'm OK with leather and not fur, but it's truly where I draw the line!!! After reading a post about someone scoring one on the bay for $20 bucks I went straight there to check out one for my soon to be LV, then I smacked myself and said "self...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!" I kept telling myself maybe they aren't real, but they are. Maybe they have a humane way of getting the fox fur, but they don't.

PLEASE don't think I'm trying to create the time honored GREAT DEBATE over fur for fashion, I'm NOT!!! Promise!!!
I just think that I'm gonna have to skip the LV and go Gucci instead. I always wanted just one LV by the time I was 35, but now I think I'll never own one, hubby dosen't want me to buy pre-loved. (Which would keep MY money from going into LV's pocket.)

I just wondered if this little charm has actually made anyone else feel this way???
I know I'm just one person, and it's just one sale and just 1 grand but I can't make myself support that darn fox tail, or the company who bought them and dyed them for bag charms.

I certainly think everyone is entitled to feel what they feel, think what they think and buy what they want. I thought I'd be more torn about not getting that LV bag I had my sights on...was so excited about but I'm just not.

That damn fox tail!!!

I live in a very rural area, where people trap for furs all winter long, as their only real income. so its not really a big shocker for me.. i see fur all the time here.

that being said, dipping it in pink dye and putting a keychain on it..doesnt make me want to buy it. its just not my thing/style.

I think a lot of people find them objectionable because they are a RECOGNISABLE part of an animal. You look at it and it's so easy to picture a fox. It's not often I look at vernis, or the vachetta on my bags and see a cow.

Would it help you reconcile it with your conscience to know that foxes are actually vermin in a lot of countries? They certainly are here in Australia - they are an introduced species that actually threaten the survival of a lot of our native species.

I can just imagine this topic will turn into a full-blown argument before long... stay calm everyone! :whiteflag:

Last edited:
i completely agree. real or faux, it looks absolutely ridiculous. imo, it looks like some leftover carcass that someone has glued to an otherwise gorgeous bag. it looks so WTF, there are no words. another one of those "things" that i just can't understand. but luckily these things come and go.

I can't get down with the fox tail. IMHO it looks silly & is super expensive. I do wear leather & eat chx/fish but could never wear fur. However I would never stop wearing LV bc of this bag charm nor scoff those that buy/wear it. Everything isn't for everyone & clearly this fox tail isn't for me

I was waiting for the thread like this... its so cruel to make bag charms from foxy tails :sick::cry: I hate real furs! Firstly I thought that its not all real foxy tail! (maybe with bone inside!??!)

It reminds me of back in the 50's/60's when guys thought it was cool to hang a fox or raccoon tail on the radio antenna of their car! It wouldn't put me off the whole brand but I wouldn't want this particular item.

I don't think lovecoachmore is weird to be OK with leather and not fur - to me leather is different from fur because they can use the whole animal (cow, goat, sheep, pig, deer) for leather and food, but no one eats raccoons, minks, foxes, etc. so they are killed only for fashion. I have Ugg boots and love them, but I assume the lambs were also eaten, not just killed for their skins.

I grew up on a little farm where everyone around there trapped animals (raccoons and foxes mostly) to sell the pelts for extra money, so I can see both sides of the "argument". Most people there still do it, but my childhood best friend grew up in the same environment and became a vegan and an animal rights activist.

ME ME ME!!!!!

I am soooo against fur (but do not try to debate people on this... and I'm certainly NOT now!!) most fur makes me sick when I see it and this tail especially makes me cringe even more inside.

PERSONALLY- I am ok with leather because the rest of the cow is used... FOX and other "luxery" furs- there is nothing humane (quick) about the way the animal is killed... nor is the rest of the animal utilized.

Now, thank you DesigningStyle for pointing out how much fur Gucci uses... just google "Gucci Fur" and look at everything that pops up.

Whether or not you are ok with buying from designers using fur is up to you...

If they made a fur item and it didn't sell due to people refusing to purchase something they found "wrong"... then the designer would learn and stop making that item. I will contiune to support the faulous items Louis Vuitton does produce and pass on anything I choose not to support or encourage them to continue producing.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE fur :]. I love it so much that when i die i want to be buried in a fur lined casket. If you go on anti-fur crusade, then dont support anything kind of animal murder, jmho. Its rather hypocritical. Its ok to not like it, but to get all pushy on it and make a big deal to someone who likes it is stupid. If you feel that way you shouldnt be in the luxury game. They use every type of skin and hide available and i love it. Fur is yesterday, today, and tomorrow. It is not going anywhere in this industry.

I said that everyone can think what they want, like what they want and buy what they want. Wasn't trying to be pushy or call anyone stupid by any means!

I'm not trying to go on any crusade, and simply asked if this particular item was off-putting to anyone else. I also mentioned that I do feel it's not 100% right to buy leather and draw the line at fur. Now I see how this would turn nasty.

MOD's, if you stumble into this thread please close it. It is already getting nasty. SORRY.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE fur :]. I love it so much that when i die i want to be buried in a fur lined casket. If you go on anti-fur crusade, then dont support anything kind of animal murder, jmho. Its rather hypocritical. Its ok to not like it, but to get all pushy on it and make a big deal to someone who likes it is stupid. If you feel that way you shouldnt be in the luxury game. They use every type of skin and hide available and i love it. Fur is yesterday, today, and tomorrow. It is not going anywhere in this industry.

I dont look down on those who enjoy fur and other exotic skins. The tail is just not my style and I also find it to be WAY too expensive. I don't think it's odd to be a little creeped out by it, but I would not refuse to buy LV because they use fur. Most luxury brands use fur and other exotic skins, so i would take a cue from DesigningStyle and check out brands that never use fur if that is your preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.