anyone else loath car show rooms?

cherry pie

Jan 13, 2007
just got back from looking at range rovers with my SO and we got toally ignored!!!!!

we werent going in to buy but to have a look around, SO is a car designer and is doing a project with range rover and wanted to have a look around and maybe test drive one if we could. we might be young but does that mean we need to be ignored!

SO was diving his latest classic car, we were dressed smartly and were the only people in the show room. we ended up leaving without even looking at the cars.

Yes, this happened to me at the BMW dealer near me. I was completely ignored, and I'm guessing it was because I'm 22 (but look like I'm 15). I just don't get it. Eventually, I just ended up calling another BMW dealer, and doing everything over the phone. I received much better service this way, and everything worked out in the end.

I hate them too usually. I'm never ignored, I feel the opposite, we tend to get mobbed. The dealership we usually shop at doesn't hound us but they definitely hover.

i think car showrooms are a gut check - they SHOULDN'T be like they are, but unfortunately, it's reality. I guarantee you, when I walk into a car showroom, no one ignores me, even though i'm 21. i think that often, car salespeople (often like salespeople of other luxury goods) need to be reminded who's boss - not in a snooty way, but firmly and respectfully. ultimately, if i (or my parents) buy, then they're going to make money directly from my patronage, and no one should ever forget that. i'm a very easy customer normally, i usually know exactly what i want and just need someone to help me locate it (this goes for cars, bags, shoes, clothes - anything except makeup), but i'll be damned if i'm going to be ignored because of my age or how i'm dressed. i never wait for someone to approach me, i go right up to the front counter when i walk in and ask for the assistance of a salesperson and a bottle of water. i'm an SA at an electronics store, so i know well that if salespeople know that you mean business, they'll usually hop to pretty quick. i've never once been treated with any rudeness or hostility, as a result.

i know it can be super frustrating, though. even my dad loathes it and he's a distinguished, affluent 60-year-old that most people would look at as the prototypical luxury car customer.

YES YES YES! I hate it! Why do salespeople think young people can't buy? When I was 21 and buying my first vehicle I got ignored by a dealer and WILL NOT buy their vehicles now. Just because I'm young doesnt mean I can't afford anything! grrrr.

I hate them too usually. I'm never ignored, I feel the opposite, we tend to get mobbed. The dealership we usually shop at doesn't hound us but they definitely hover.

I agree... at least in California, the car salesmen were very persistant because it seemed like everyone there drove a luxury car (whether they can afford it or not). It was really a wake-up reality-call for me when I left the state and found that the average car in Illinois (Chicago) is 5 - 10 years older than the average car in California and not everyone had a BMW or Lexus. The California car salesmen really HOUND you because no matter what you look like, they might make a sale. They're less inclined to judge in CA (so it seems to me).

Of course, dealership to dealership, things vary....

I'd rather them ignore me than be pushy and obnoxious.

I do have to say Lexus is GREAT to deal with when shopping for a car. When my brother bought his, part of the reason he chose it was because of the dealer. He is a really casual dresser. I mean like he'll wear the same T-shirt he got for free over and over with a pair of khaki shorts with stains on them and a piece of string where the button was to hold them up. So he doesn't look like a luxury car buyer, let's just say that. When we went to Lexus they treated him like he'd walked into the dealership dressed like Donald *****. But they weren't pushy either. And he also noticed that everyone that came into the dealer was treated with the exact same respect whether they were young, old, white, black, asian, dressed well, dressed slobby, etc.

We also had gone to Saturn before Lexus and they totally ignored us.

I know someone else who chose a Lexus because BMW and Mercedes were rude and the Lexus salesman sat in the backseat with her little girl during the test drive.

I work part time for Honda and our sales staff are not permitted to approach the customers. We have hostesses who connect our customers with our sales staff when the customer is ready.

Totally! They are like Flies on poop! I swear we cant get 5 feet into the dealership without 3 people coming up to us. As soon as we tell one "We are just looking" and he walks away, another will come up! Ugh..

I work in the auto industry and it's hard to believe what the dealers get away with. It's not exclusive to certain areas or makes. You'd think it's basic good business to treat customers in a respectful, non-pushy and nonjudgmental way but unfortunately many dealers get away with it because they can. At the end of the day you're the consumer and can take your business anywhere, so go search out the good dealerships and give them your patronage. I know it might seem like all dealers are horrible, but there are some good ones who will value you.

I had pretty decent luck test driving cars a few months ago, and I'm 22 (in Charlotte, NC). At Hummer they are on you in a half-second, same at Audi (there they just seemed horribly horribly desperate, lol). The Lexus people were great, but I also drive a Lexus hah. BMW was where we were ignored for a while before someone finally came over. Lexus does follow-up letters and such also, which is interesting.