Food Anyone else getting shocked at their grocery bills?

Janos614

O.G.
Feb 12, 2006
NYC
Grocery prices in Manhattan/LI can be pretty bad, too- Gristedes and Food Emporium, are especially expensive and not really worth it. NYC's grocery delivery service, FreshDirect, really makes it possible to get good quality food and save. But without the greenmarket and Trader Joe's and other
options, it can be pretty outrageous.

yvalenz

Jun 14, 2007
berryblondeboys: I thought about you today as I was walking through Costco - I saw the difference in price from the Organic Juice and the other stuff, and yowza! It was almost double the price. Same for milk - two gallons of regular 2% was 6.50 (which is way more than a few months ago), but the organic milk was nearly $9.00 for two gallons! Ouch!

I wish I could give you a solution. At least you're eating much healthier than I am.....

StinkyMonkey

Nomoremonkeybusiness
Oct 18, 2006
Surf City USA
2 gallons of organic 2% milk at $5.99 a gallon...We're spending about $12.00 a week on milk alone and we usually end up having to buy a third gallon before grocery day Saturday!:nuts:
We're a family of 3!:shame:

V

vanojr9

I'm in the midwest and I actually think our grocery prices are still really reasonable. I was actually complaining the other day about having to pay $2.50 for a gallon of milk, lol! I pay about $25 a week for groceries (my bf and I split them, so he pays $25 too). Splurging would be maybe $40. But I keep it really simple, don't by processed foods (except for already baked bread and generic soda, I am a generic Coke expert!), and don't buy expensive cuts of meat or exotic fruit. I also scour the sales and stock up when I can.

Miss 2 A

O.G.
Dec 12, 2006
world
My weekly bill is always around 120-190 or so, this is for a family or 4 or 5. I think we do pretty well since we rarely ever buy takeout or rastaurant food, so it pays off (I'd say)

Since I've gone veg. a few years ago and with buying more of the healthier stuff the bill definitely goes up, it's sad but I'm finding certain things to be pretty well priced (especially more of the organic stuff that is coming in to almost all supermarkets here in Ontario) so I think it pays off a bit, shopping around is also a must, as well as switching brands or even supermarkets to find the better deals.

Come to think of it, it is so very high, especially since I don't even buy meats and a lot of "cultural/traditional" foods from the supermarket (those things I go elsewhere for)
Fish is a bit expensive too, salmon isn't too bad though, thank God since its a staple.