Anyone else ever fallen over and bashed up a new bag??!

Sez

Bag lady
O.G.
Apr 17, 2007
Ok...so here's the story: I'd been out to the cinema with my BF and had kissed him goodbye at the tube station and started my walk home. I was walking up Camden high street pretty fast (general speed when walking alone) and didn't notice one of those slightly stepped shop fronts. DISASTER! Literally went flying, smacked down on my knees and then skidded along on my front with MY BEAUTIFUL NEW PATENT FERRAGAMO BAG UNDERNEATH ME!!!! AGH! I had only had it a few months and taken really good care of it...and now it has a tear and several deep scuff marks. :cry: The very thin silver lining is that I somehow fell on the back of the bag, so at least when it is over my shoulder it looks ok...but STILL, I am so upset, I love the bag so much! :crybaby:

The crash landing also turned my entire kneecaps purple, but that concerns me less, they will heal!!!

I take really good care of things so am not used to them getting spoiled. Might have to buy myself a new bag to cheer myself up!!!

OMG sweetie, bless your little heart, I'm so sorry to hear about your fall.

Reminds me when I was in college, before I was a purse fetishist, a fiancé of my friend destroyed a Louis Vuitton Speedy at a go-cart track. She was riding with her bag in her lap, spun out and got T-boned and her bag flew off into the path of another cart. That poor bag looked like it went through a war zone.

So sorry for your loss, if it doesn't put you too far out, buy a new one and sell that one on eBay...I'm sure someone will buy it.

Ok...so here's the story: I'd been out to the cinema with my BF and had kissed him goodbye at the tube station and started my walk home. I was walking up Camden high street pretty fast (general speed when walking alone) and didn't notice one of those slightly stepped shop fronts. DISASTER! Literally went flying, smacked down on my knees and then skidded along on my front with MY BEAUTIFUL NEW PATENT FERRAGAMO BAG UNDERNEATH ME!!!! AGH! I had only had it a few months and taken really good care of it...and now it has a tear and several deep scuff marks. :cry: The very thin silver lining is that I somehow fell on the back of the bag, so at least when it is over my shoulder it looks ok...but STILL, I am so upset, I love the bag so much! :crybaby:

The crash landing also turned my entire kneecaps purple, but that concerns me less, they will heal!!!

I take really good care of things so am not used to them getting spoiled. Might have to buy myself a new bag to cheer myself up!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your incident! At the very least, this bag has a story & sentimental value since it took a tumble with you and flaunts 'battle scars'. :biggrin:

Ashamed to say i have morbidly thought about the whole falling-down-with-my-bag thing and concluded that i'd rather take the brunt of the fall. How wrong, bruised knee vs. scuffed leather.

I hope you're okay & your knees heel soon. ;)

Last year, I slipped on ice and fell hard down 3 concrete stairs. I had my Belen Echandia bag that I bought just a month before that and my laptop was inside. My bag came out of that with one tiny tear (just the surface, not all of the way through the leather), some scratches that came out with conditioner, and a few other small marks that are barely noticeable. All of the damage was on one side of the bag that must have been dragged down the stairs with me. The laptop was fine. I suffered the most damage with major bruising on my butt, bruises on one arm and leg, and shoulder and neck pain that lasted for a few months. I think the bag did so well because it is a very thick matte leather that wears well. After that experience, I'm a lot more careful now in the winter.:shame:

I hope you're OK after that fall. It sounds horrendous. The bag is of much less importance but I'm glad it's OK too. I had a more minor mishap in London last week with a new Gerard Darel bag. My husband and I were eating at an Indian restaurant when suddenly DH sent a dish of Lamb Koorma flying off the edge of the table and over my bag. Amazingly the GD was perfect again shortly afterwards, having been carefully wiped. DH's embarrassment took longer to fix!

I once had my Gucci shopper hanging on my bicycle-stear. I stopped for a red light, and because the bag was stuffed with books it was heavy and I fell.. I somehow managed to save the bag but got pretty bruised myself.. My BF is still laughing at me because of it.. :P

Thanks for the kind words guys...like you msterling I think my bag held up quite well considering, it's a pretty tough patent...some of my other bags probably would've fared a whole lot worse (and come out looking as if they too had been through a war zone)! It's a bit battered but I don't think I can part with it, I feel like the poor thing has been through enough!! But think I could ease the pain with a new bag to add to my collection...maybe a purple one to match my knees :P

Oh no, sorry this happened. Can you show us pics? Is it still available. You might be able to get a new one from credit card or home insurance. They often cover for things like this.

Oh, no! That's terrible. So sorry to hear about your bag mishap. Hope your knees are o.k. too. That sounded like a bad fall. Here in the states that would probably be a lawsuit since it sounds like a defective sidewalk issue.

Ouch, I feel your pain :sad: I hope your knees heal up quickly! In cases like this, I try to view them as "war scars", not sure if that's the right term. But it just means to me the bag has more visible memories and therefore as a special place in my heart :smile:

Ugh, that totally sucks!! This has never happened before to me, but I've thought about it happening :wtf: I hope that your knees feel better soon and that you are able to someone repair the poor Ferragamo...maybe with some conditioner, as msterling used perhaps??