Anyone else dealing with mosquitoes?

gillianna

O.G.
Dec 27, 2005
We seem to have such a horrible mosquito problem here. I can't even go in the backyard to garden because they are everywhere. I had a bug zapper last year that broke. Don't even know if it helped. I am going to plant some mosquito repelling herbs in the yard and hubby and I are going to do a major trim the bushes and evergreen trees.
I saw online Home Depot had these mosquito repellent thing that you sprinkle on your lawn and it was I think a blend of herbs in a small pebble type form that was supposed to last 4 weeks. My Friend said the coil mosquito things work well. I have a huge patio and pool but it is hard to enjoy being out there.

What if anything works for you?

dk2504

O.G.
Nov 21, 2005
We recently had a company called 'mosquito squad' come out and spray for us. We opted for their 'natural' formula, (not the synthetic product that they claim is 'natural', but rather, the garlic-based product) and it seems to have done the trick. Although, since the season is just starting, it may be the timing as well. Maybe you can see if there are similar services in your area?

Last edited:

gillianna

O.G.
Dec 27, 2005
I just ordered a few lawn products and a spray for the patio that is herbs and oils that the Mosquitos hate the smell of. Got pretty good reviews. I would rather spray myself then hire a service. A few of my neighbors have the lawn and but services and it is shocking to see them come when the neighbors are not home and literally spray for 2-3 minutes and leave. They don't do the whole lawn and the neighbors never knew until I told them. So now they only schedule when they are home. Also I like to do thing myself because I know I will do it right. I am really getting into making the yard look perfect this year. I am doing some major beautiful garden areas in the backyard. Just had my concrete edging, rocks and stepping stones delivered last week.

clu13

Shoe and Bag Addict
O.G.
Oct 12, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I just ordered a few lawn products and a spray for the patio that is herbs and oils that the Mosquitos hate the smell of. Got pretty good reviews. I would rather spray myself then hire a service. A few of my neighbors have the lawn and but services and it is shocking to see them come when the neighbors are not home and literally spray for 2-3 minutes and leave. They don't do the whole lawn and the neighbors never knew until I told them. So now they only schedule when they are home. Also I like to do thing myself because I know I will do it right. I am really getting into making the yard look perfect this year. I am doing some major beautiful garden areas in the backyard. Just had my concrete edging, rocks and stepping stones delivered last week.

Yep - wish I read this a few days ago. I coughed up the cash for mosquito fogging of the yard. It last about 2 days. And now they are back. Just like before. I am going to look into lemongrass

natalie78

Did you die?
O.G.
May 6, 2008
Texas
I grew up in south Louisiana...mosquito heaven! My dad tried everything, but nothing ever kept them away for more than a few hours. The only relief we got was when he started up the fogger.