Anyone else confused by the resale prices on MJ lately?

I think it could be a combo of all these things. Perhaps the recession is truly drawing a line, making luxury items only for those who can immediately afford them. There are certainly some people who think a purse is just something to put their stuff in, and then there are people who LOVE & NEED a GREAT purse, no matter what. Perceived or real economic recession literally causes certain socio economic classes to spend less money therefore, slowing down sales (having to relist to get your price) while making it a playground for those who can afford to pay in an immediate fashion (higher prices for those who will buy & don't care about a few extra $$).

It's also true that Ebay's new changes and difficulties have turned off many sellers, thus reducing the pool of available items for sale at a competitive price. The seller's that are still around can afford to charge more.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think Fashionphile and similar ebay sellers mark up their bags because they can. They have a great reputation, and buyers know for certain that the bag they're buying is authentic, so they don't need to go through the whole hassle of determining whether or not a bag is real. The authentication is included in the price, kwim?

I feel that the BINs are higher than normal, but the regular auctions are ending in below to average prices... so there are still some great deals out there!

I think it could be a combo of all these things. Perhaps the recession is truly drawing a line, making luxury items only for those who can immediately afford them. There are certainly some people who think a purse is just something to put their stuff in, and then there are people who LOVE & NEED a GREAT purse, no matter what. Perceived or real economic recession literally causes certain socio economic classes to spend less money therefore, slowing down sales (having to relist to get your price) while making it a playground for those who can afford to pay in an immediate fashion (higher prices for those who will buy & don't care about a few extra $$).

It's also true that Ebay's new changes and difficulties have turned off many sellers, thus reducing the pool of available items for sale at a competitive price. The seller's that are still around can afford to charge more.

very good and valid points. i can foresee prices going up on ebay for everything with the increased seller fees and decreased competition. they'll still be a few good deals here and there, but that might end too if the rumors about ebay's future intentions are true.

Very interesting responses. I see the points made in all of them. I am a ebay power seller (not for a business~ just a mother who likes to shop) and I have taken a hit with all the fees etc..via listing an item on ebay and using paypal as it is part of the beast. Where else can you sell designer items used? Not a garage sale that is for sure.

There are some good deals to be had (it seems some what random as to which bags are moving at the time). However I have seen quite a few bags listed at really high price points as well.

Hopefully the deals will still be there to be had and eventually all who are searching for an item will be able to purchase in their price point. :yes:

Very interesting responses. I see the points made in all of them. I am a ebay power seller (not for a business~ just a mother who likes to shop) and I have taken a hit with all the fees etc..via listing an item on ebay and using paypal as it is part of the beast. Where else can you sell designer items used? Not a garage sale that is for sure.

There are some good deals to be had (it seems some what random as to which bags are moving at the time). However I have seen quite a few bags listed at really high price points as well.

Hopefully the deals will still be there to be had and eventually all who are searching for an item will be able to purchase in their price point. :yes:

There are always consignment shops or Craig's List. At a consignment shop at least you can touch, look, authenticate in person, but a consignment shop isn't open 24/7 for all to browse. I've never gone bag hunting on Craig's List, but I imagine it's a different animal worth investigating.

I don't sell that much on ebay but if I think from the seller's perspective: if I can sell a bag in like new condition at 60% of retail then why not.. And if there are people who's paying for the premium.. then that's what the market demand is so it is all fair game.. well if I lose a bidding war that just means it's not meant to be mine, and something else (and better) will come along the way~

The live.com discount has a lot to do with it, which kindda sucks because if a seller wants $500 for her bag, why raise it by 25% simply because the buyer gets a discount? That's the point of a discount--getting the bag for less. And in this case the seller still gets the $500 because MSN is paying the cashback. As a seller, I prefer to sell my bag asap for a fair price than inflate the price and see what happens. And as a buyer, I've been shunning sellers who overnight upped prices because of Live. :blah:

The live.com discount has a lot to do with it, which kindda sucks because if a seller wants $500 for her bag, why raise it by 25% simply because the buyer gets a discount? That's the point of a discount--getting the bag for less. And in this case the seller still gets the $500 because MSN is paying the cashback. As a seller, I prefer to sell my bag asap for a fair price than inflate the price and see what happens. And as a buyer, I've been shunning sellers who overnight upped prices because of Live. :blah:

yeah, but nm and shopbop do the same thing. before one of their big sales, they'll up the original retail price a little then claim you're getting a 50% discount when, in fact, that's not the case. it's digustingly dishonest, but i guess it's all about the big money. who cares about fairness when there's money involved, right? sorry, i'm super cynical today.

/\ No, you're right. That's the world of retail. Up the prices, then have a sale...milk them for all you can. That's why I'm a retailer's worst nightmare in the sense that it's nearly impossible to sell me anything I don't absolutely need or have to have. I don't like the feeling of being taken advantage of, so I avoid such situations. But that's just me. If everyone were like me, the global economy would crash. :upsidedown:

yeah, but nm and shopbop do the same thing. before one of their big sales, they'll up the original retail price a little then claim you're getting a 50% discount when, in fact, that's not the case. it's digustingly dishonest, but i guess it's all about the big money. who cares about fairness when there's money involved, right? sorry, i'm super cynical today.

wow really!? i had n idea they did that!

...i prefer to find unloved MJ bags or deals on Mj bags and then fix them up and bump the cost a bit...that way i have fun in the bag-finding process and fixing, and can pass along something to someone else....in better condition:tup:

/\ So you're a bag flipper? You know, like "Flip That House." That's pretty cool; too bad I suck at it. I don't have the patience for that. Jun the Bag Flipper :rochard: