Anyone else afraid of scratches so won't stack jewelry?

Mrs. Mac

Purse Queen
Dec 11, 2008
Hi, everyone!!! I was just wondering if I'm super anal or if anyone else will not stack jewelry due to fear of scratching the pieces? I am found daily wearing one watch on my left hand along with my brand new reset diamond engagement ring that DH had my original diamond set into a thick band of channel set princess and baguette diamonds so I wouldn't need to wear two rings on one hand like I have done the past 19 years. My right hand has my brand new diamond anniversary wedding band (very thick band that matches the band on my left hand that has my diamond set into it, but this band was made even thicker) and one bracelet. I LOVE the look of the stacking bracelets and watch or just stacking bracelets but I'm sooo afraid of getting permanent scratches on my jewelry. I'm very careful with my hands now, too, since both rings are so new and sparkly. Should I try to get over this and just stack my watches with my bracelets etc or am I actually "normal" and there are others who won't stack for this same reason? Please help!!!!

I really understand you, I'm also afraid of stacking jewelry! I once tried stacking my love bracelet but I couldn't really relax.. so I took the other bracelets off again.

I just don't like causing damage to such expensive and beautiful things... wish I wouldn't bother, though

For me, jewelry is meant to be enjoyed and I like to stack bracelets, rings etc. I understand that it may cause scratching, but I just figure it's part of life. I have my jewelry to wear and enjoy; a scratch is not going to ruin the piece for me.
I can understand that others feel differently, we each have things that bother us.

I'm in your camp too! I refuse to wear anything on the left wrist other than my watch, and like to separate my bangles with leather as cushion if I'm in the mood to stack on my right.

As for rings, it's quite interesting that one of them which I received as a gift has this plastic rope (a bit like those plastic wires you use for threading beads) thing wrapped around its shank by the saleswoman. It's done really well and doesn't irritate, nor stick out and be all ugly. I couldn't think of what it was for at the time (since it hides the pretty hallmark!) but perhaps it may be to protect the interior?

Thanks, everyone! For me, I have always been this way and just don't like scratches. While they can be removed, the jeweler is also removing some of the gold at the same time. That scares me. I do love the stack look though which is why I'm having second thoughts about this now!!! Please keep helping!!!

Jewelry (or anything else) is meant to be worn and enjoyed. What is the point of buying something if it sits in a drawer to avoid getting ruined or gives you anxiety every time it gets a scratch? Yes, there is nothing like buying something brand spakin' new, but there is nothing wrong with natural wear and tear from constantly using something you love. If you like stacking, stack. Hairline scratches don't ruin a piece and getting your piece buffed every 5 years won't take enough material off to even be noticed.

Jewelry (or anything else) is meant to be worn and enjoyed. What is the point of buying something if it sits in a drawer to avoid getting ruined or gives you anxiety every time it gets a scratch? Yes, there is nothing like buying something brand spakin' new, but there is nothing wrong with natural wear and tear from constantly using something you love. If you like stacking, stack. Hairline scratches don't ruin a piece and getting your piece buffed every 5 years won't take enough material off to even be noticed.

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to hear! I feel like I can't enjoy anything out of fear of scratching it. The thing is, I don't know why I'm like this. I want to enjoy all my jewelry and I really want to stack because I love how it looks! Even with my new rings I'm sooo careful to not bang them etc. and I examine them nightly for scratches. DH gets so annoyed with me and says I need to enjoy my jewelry and stop looking at it under magnification. It's so hard though.

Thanks, everyone! For me, I have always been this way and just don't like scratches. While they can be removed, the jeweler is also removing some of the gold at the same time. That scares me. I do love the stack look though which is why I'm having second thoughts about this now!!! Please keep helping!!!

yes, scratches will happen if you don't stack, so if it will happen either way, just wear your pieces and don't worry :smile: if you don't feel comfortable wearing them, it ends up being a waste!! life is short, just go for it :P

Mrs. Mac said:
Thank you!!!! I need to try!!!! :smile:

I know exactly how you feel, I am the same way but have been trying to change. Everytime I get a pricer item I "save" it for a special occasion (that never comes) and it sits and sits... a lot of times they sit so long for fear of it getting ruined that its out of style or I completely forget I own it! I think this has something to do with growing up kind of poor (not that poor, but certainly not able to buy any luxury items.) so when I was finally able to, I would buy something but then not feel worthy enough to wear it, or I would think wow these are pricy shoes so I better save them! I have a different mentality now, thank goodness because my DH thought I was so crazy and I don't want my little girls to learn that behaviour. Anyhoo, just wear your stuff and enjoy it, because its just "stuff" :smile:

Reactions: Thejewelryblonde
I know exactly how you feel, I am the same way but have been trying to change. Everytime I get a pricer item I "save" it for a special occasion (that never comes) and it sits and sits... a lot of times they sit so long for fear of it getting ruined that its out of style or I completely forget I own it! I think this has something to do with growing up kind of poor (not that poor, but certainly not able to buy any luxury items.) so when I was finally able to, I would buy something but then not feel worthy enough to wear it, or I would think wow these are pricy shoes so I better save them! I have a different mentality now, thank goodness because my DH thought I was so crazy and I don't want my little girls to learn that behaviour. Anyhoo, just wear your stuff and enjoy it, because its just "stuff" :smile:

Totally, we truly only live life ONCE so its important to have fun while we are here and with the things/people we love :smile: