Anyone drive a Saab?

vanessa225

Jan 23, 2007
Ok, so I'm in the market for a new car... SOON! My old Toyota has 175k miles, and doesn't owe me anything... and I'm facing having a further commute early next year when my company changes locations...

So, I've been peeking around at different cars within my budget (about $5000-6000). I know that I want an import car, and I want it to be under 100k miles, but other than that I'm pretty open...

My question to all of you is, do any of you drive a Saab? For some reason, I'm really drawn to the Saab 9 models... I keep seeing them at used car dealerships, and many are in my price and mileage range. I think they're really slick looking, and I'd love a Euro car!

If you've got one (any model), please tell me what you think? How's the car rate for reliability, handling, features, etc? Is it super expensive to fix and maintain? Would it be a smart move on my part to buy one? TIA! :flowers:

I have a saab 9-5 and so far so good! It is a great and reliable car. As for repairs, I find most to be expensive although the Chevy I had before was equally so...

My friend's husband has a 2003 (I think) Saab. I guess it's the 9-3 or 9-5? It's the four door model. It's got over 100,000 miles and seems to hold up well. I drove it once and liked it. Her parents have had three Saabs, I think, so something keeps bringing them back. In the past though they had problems with repairs on one of them, but that was 1987 model.

I have a Saab and I adore it,fantastic handling and a very responsive drive.Its done over 110,000 miles and has cost me next to nothing apart from the usual tax,service,mot and insurance as well as stuff like tyres. It feels a very safe solid car,and 'sits' the road so securely,even when I throw mine around,it never feels unstable.

And they are a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing,many guys and boy racers have made the mistake of thinking its just a family car!! Mine has a 2ltr engine,and still has incredible punch!!

Fir 6 grand you're only going to be able to get an older model. I'm thinking a 1998 or older. No matter what the model, a car that old is going to have problems. If not now, soon. For the money, I'd just stick to playing it safe with a Honda or Toyota.

My husband has a Saab 9-5, it drives well, but it has had reliability problems. The emblem fell off, they replaced it, and then if fell off again. The driver's side visor broke right in the middle of the plastic piece holding it on. The sunroof had to be replaced because of a weird whistling sould and they didn't do it right the first time so they had to do it again. The fuel pump went so we had to have it replaced (car was 4 years old). The replacement didn't work so they did it again, then they recalled the fuel pump so they replaced it a third time.

Anyway I am very unimpressed and will be sticking with Honda. But my DH really likes the Turbo because it is cool and manly.

If I was getting a used Saab I would have a lot of fun with it and get a 9-3 convertible. It's one of the few snazzy convertibles with a comfy back seat.

DH has an ancient Saab, it's a 1988 9000 Turbo. It's got about 130,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. He loves it. Of course due to its age it's needed repairs but other than that it's a great car.

We have a 1990 Saab 900 Turbo convertible, and it is still going strong! Has at least 200,000 miles on it. We have a good mechanic, and of course due to its age, it does need work from time to time. We had to replace the top after about 11 years due to wear and then last year someone tried to steal it and slashed the top, and we had to replace it again.

It is DH's car now - I had to go to something more practical for errands, multiple dogs, etc. He is HELL on cars - for this car to last 18 years with him is to me a great car!

Good luck in your search.

I have a 2005 9-3 which I like very much. It's not nearly as reliable as our Japanese car, but it's very comfortable, the turbo is fantastic (albeit no so environmentally sound) and drives really well.

One of the problems with this car, though, is the automatic windows break A LOT. I've had to have windows fixed (always a different one) six or seven times now. It's under warranty, but I would think that it would be very expensive for a car that didn't have a warranty.

I used to drive one. Parts and service were not cheap on this car. It was a HUGE waste of time and money for me. I would not buy another NEW even if they only wanted $6000.

i dont have a saab, but in highschool my bio teacher had one from like a thousand years ago and he loved it and it drove well (he talked about it a lot in class)

but because it is a euro car it will be expensive to maintain. like i have a volvo and it costs me $100 to get an oil change at the dealership.... im going to die... any euro cars maintainance is expensive though.

but like charles said.. you are going to be buying a used car and used cars come with problems (plus you wont have a warranty)... i would try to play it safe and get a honda. my roomate has a 1989 accord and it runs well.

DH has an ancient Saab, it's a 1988 9000 Turbo. It's got about 130,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. He loves it. Of course due to its age it's needed repairs but other than that it's a great car.

Wow, that's the one my friend's parents had. It was a 1987 9000. It was a nightmare to maintain, if I recall. I know her dad was always getting into it with the dealer. But maybe part of it is if you have a good mechanic to work with.

Mines a 1996 model the 900 XS,but I have a great mechanic and I always have it serviced regularly,it cost £3k UK Sterling 5 years ago,and she's never given me any problems.I have to say though,when its gettin really cold,I'll take her in for a part service to get her ready for the winter months.
She's never garaged either,and is out in all weathers,and her condition for her age against other makes her age is just fantastic!