Anyone considering surgery in US?

mblem

Jul 22, 2015
While deciding on dates for my trip to SK in April, I decided to look into local options one last time. Found a blog detailing revision orthognatic surgery with Nestor Karas in Walnut Creek near San Francisco. Wanted to see if anyone in Cali has heard of him. I am wary of surgeons here after my horrible first experience in Beverly Hills, but it would be nice to find an option close to home without the stress of language barrier and international travel. Thanks for your opinions and help! If you want to discuss your research on any surgeon in the US, please feel free to jump in!

:loveeyes::loveeyes:

Reactions: peri.winkle
Ever watched the show Botch on E!? I caught a couple of episodes and that's enough for me to completely steer clear of any doctor in Beverly Hills. There is apparently enough of botches for the producers to create a whole season of show about botched surgeries in the US.

I feel that the trip across the Pacific would be well worth it. All the best in your surgery!

Yes, rhinoplasty. It's such a big surgery on the most noticeable facial feature, I just don't think I could risk going overseas for that. At first I had my heart set on Korea or the Middle East for the price but honestly I'd rather pay a few more thousand just for the security and ease of communication. I am on the upper east coast, so I'm confident I'll find somebody here without having to travel too far. The amount of research I find myself needing to do is the same though ;-; lmao

Ever watched the show Botch on E!? I caught a couple of episodes and that's enough for me to completely steer clear of any doctor in Beverly Hills. There is apparently enough of botches for the producers to create a whole season of show about botched surgeries in the US.

I feel that the trip across the Pacific would be well worth it. All the best in your surgery!

Korea does so many surgeries they could have their own Botched TV show as if even 1% have bad results, that's a lot of people. Korea doesn't like promoting negative plastic surgery results given what that industry does for their economy so I don't expect such a TV show to get approval though.

So not surprised there's a show for that! I'm leaning toward just going to sk too, since I'm going for jaw revision which isn't done that much here. Maybe I'll consult a couple places before I book my ticket just to be safe. Thanks for the input.

Yes, rhinoplasty. It's such a big surgery on the most noticeable facial feature, I just don't think I could risk going overseas for that. At first I had my heart set on Korea or the Middle East for the price but honestly I'd rather pay a few more thousand just for the security and ease of communication. I am on the upper east coast, so I'm confident I'll find somebody here without having to travel too far. The amount of research I find myself needing to do is the same though ;-; lmao

I definitely think rhino is common enough here to do it close to home. I also don't mind paying more for peace of mind and convenience. Hope your researching is going well!

Reactions: Iodine
Depends what procedures you are trying to do. For breast augmentation or if you want to get only eyelids done, I would just stay in the US.

I agree that rhinoplasty is one of the more difficult surgeries to perform. However, I decided to go to korea because doctors here are specialized. Most surgeons in the US are what i would call a "jack of all trades" meaning they perform all different kinds of surgeries. Asian patients also make up a smaller percentage of the client base in USA. Asian rhinoplasty is completely different from caucasian rhinoplasty. For these reasons, I chose to go to korea because I wanted to a doctor who specializes and has a lot of experience with asian rhinoplasty.
I went to a high end clinic in Korea that caters to foreign patients. I had 1-2 translators with me the whole time and their communication skills were excellent. They are on the expensive side, so I didn't really save any money lol. When I take flight and accommodations into account (~$2000), I spent just as much (or maybe a little more) than I would have paid in the US. I have also gotten plastic surgery in the US and the experience in Korea is different. There are definitely some benefits to getting your surgery done in the US instead. Since I am only one week post-op, (just removed all my stitching and bandages today), I will hold off on my opinion on whether it was worth it or not since I will be seeing more changes as I heal.

Reactions: peri.winkle
I was thinking of somewhere in the US, my mom keeps telling me to do it here (lol even though we re Korean) but I just feel like I prefer to be in the hands that have more experience with an Asian face. If you look on YouTube I saw some girl who did her epi and DES in la. But I didn't like her results. I also had another gf who did DES in la and it looked good. While i have another gf that did hers in NYC and I think it just looks ok. So inconsistent. I did see YouTube videos of Dr Donald yoo or something with rhino in Beverly Hills and the results looked awesome but he only does rib cartilage with facia and it costs like $16K! So all in all I decided korea is the place to go for me.

Reactions: SheOnlyLooks25
I was thinking of somewhere in the US, my mom keeps telling me to do it here (lol even though we re Korean) but I just feel like I prefer to be in the hands that have more experience with an Asian face. If you look on YouTube I saw some girl who did her epi and DES in la. But I didn't like her results. I also had another gf who did DES in la and it looked good. While i have another gf that did hers in NYC and I think it just looks ok. So inconsistent. I did see YouTube videos of Dr Donald yoo or something with rhino in Beverly Hills and the results looked awesome but he only does rib cartilage with facia and it costs like $16K! So all in all I decided korea is the place to go for me.

I did my rhinoplasty with Dr. Yoo, and yes he's pricey but well worth it. Doctors in Korea do not commonly perform rib cartilage with fascia, but that is the most permanent results with the lowest chance of infection because everything is autologous. Lots of doctors in the US steer clear of silicone nose implants because it poses high risk for rejection and infection. Anyways, if anyone is interested in a rhinoplasty here in the US, i totally recommend Dr. Yoo. The change in my nose is dramatic, but natural. He's also the nicest, most patient doctor I've ever met.

And speaking of Botched TV show, Dr. Yoo works with Dr. Nassif (who was previously his mentor, and the one who does rhinoplasty revisions on Botched).

I've been looking at some local rhino surgeons and scoping out prices and reviews on RealSelf. From what I've seen posted on here, the prices in Korea for the surgery I'd need (hump removal + septoplasty) are maybe a couple thousand dollars less than what I'd pay in my area, and even that savings would most likely get eaten up by plane/accommodation/etc. fees to stay in Korea so it really doesn't seem like it would be that much of a price difference to justify going overseas for surgery.

One thing that is attractive to me about Korean hospitals/clinics is that many of them seem to really prioritize aftercare and give you certain treatments after surgery to promote healing. US clinics you're pretty much out of the recovery room and on your own. Although it is reassuring to know you can go back to a local doctor easily for post-surgery checkups and in case of complications.

Another factor I'm considering is that I'm Caucasian and have a very high nose bridge, and the skin on my nose is very thin. Of course a skilled surgeon will be able to work on all types of faces, but it gives me more confidence when I see before/after pictures that are similar to mine because then I know the surgeon has produced good results in that area before. I think if I was Asian, I'd be more comfortable going to a Korean surgeon because it seems like many surgeons in the US don't have as much experience with Asian faces.

I'm going to continue doing a lot of research and get quotes on surgeons in Korea and the US before I get my surgery so I know my options.

Depends what procedures you are trying to do. For breast augmentation or if you want to get only eyelids done, I would just stay in the US.

I agree that rhinoplasty is one of the more difficult surgeries to perform. However, I decided to go to korea because doctors here are specialized. Most surgeons in the US are what i would call a "jack of all trades" meaning they perform all different kinds of surgeries. Asian patients also make up a smaller percentage of the client base in USA. Asian rhinoplasty is completely different from caucasian rhinoplasty. For these reasons, I chose to go to korea because I wanted to a doctor who specializes and has a lot of experience with asian rhinoplasty.
I went to a high end clinic in Korea that caters to foreign patients. I had 1-2 translators with me the whole time and their communication skills were excellent. They are on the expensive side, so I didn't really save any money lol. When I take flight and accommodations into account (~$2000), I spent just as much (or maybe a little more) than I would have paid in the US. I have also gotten plastic surgery in the US and the experience in Korea is different. There are definitely some benefits to getting your surgery done in the US instead. Since I am only one week post-op, (just removed all my stitching and bandages today), I will hold off on my opinion on whether it was worth it or not since I will be seeing more changes as I heal.
Hi Holly, can you recommend some places in the US that can do revision asian eyelids and undeyes well? thank you!

So not surprised there's a show for that! I'm leaning toward just going to sk too, since I'm going for jaw revision which isn't done that much here. Maybe I'll consult a couple places before I book my ticket just to be safe. Thanks for the input.
Mblem, may I ask why you need a jaw revision? Did it come out uneven?

I personally would never get ps in the US because I don´t like their aesthetic at all. I don´t like their big bloated faces, all that unnatural looking facial expressions because of botox, ugly swollen lips..yikes! Just not my thing personally. I understand that some surgeries turn nice, but I still wouldn´t go there. It also costs more money.

Please, please folks don't gamble with your face, especially with rhino. Price is an important consideration, but if its your main driver, then don't do it. There's too much at risk, and you could potentially set yourself up for a downwards spiral of revisions. Look at how many people here are searching for revisions. That should tell you how risky this procedure is. Do your research.

As far as US surgeons go, I agree that many US surgeons do not have an eye for asian beauty. Even though Dr. Yoo is a great and meticulous doctor he tends to do really nigh nose bridges and overprojected, long tips. I guess that's the aesthetic here in the US for Asians, but it's not a look I like. Always make sure that your own personal tastes line up with your doctor's aesthetic.

I agree with OP.. I am asian and looking for a good doctor for rhino and eyelids as well. If anyone have recommendations in the U.S, please pass them through! I've looked at Dr. Donald Yoo and while I love his work, he is SO pricey... it's either I find an alternative here in U.S/Korea or I'm going to have to save.. and get my rhino far, far down the road :sad: