Anyone Concerned About Price Increases...

Yes, for me, it's going to be all about the outlets and ebay, if that's where it's headed/
Honestly when a bag gets over the $500.00, I'm going to spend that $$ on an LV, not a Coach, even though I love Coach. But when they start creeping towards over the $500.00 mark, I draw the line and head elsewhere.
The whole reason I love Coach, is the afforability, especially when you're a person who changes your bag daily. I love those bags around $200.00-$300.00.

So does that mean that you feel LV is higher quality and worth more than Coach or is it about the name LV? I am just curious-not argumentative. :smile:

I agree. I suspect that this is their way to trying to make everyone happy and appeal to the masses. Patchwork, Scribble and such for the younger crowd; and Legacy, Carly, Ergo and such for the older crowd. I *think* that's the idea but I am not sure that you can have it both ways.
i'm sure that they're trying to cover everybody...but you just can't- coach is coming off as kinda schizophrenic, kwim?

either you want to make affordable bags or you want to hit a higher price point- you can't have both. then the lower price stuff looks way cheap and the high price stuff looks cheap when it's sold next to a patchwork. you know?

whoever was talking about branching into a different name for the higher bags, i absolutely agree with that!

i'm sure that they're trying to cover everybody...but you just can't- coach is coming off as kinda schizophrenic, kwim?

either you want to make affordable bags or you want to hit a higher price point- you can't have both. then the lower price stuff looks way cheap and the high price stuff looks cheap when it's sold next to a patchwork. you know?

whoever was talking about branching into a different name for the higher bags, i absolutely agree with that!

I don't think that the age ranges is where their schizophrenia is hurting them, though. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for a brand to have cute items for young shoppers and more understated things for the (I don't want to say "older" because I am one of these people) buyers looking for more lasting designs.

What is bad is raising prices on your entire range of products, from the small and cute stuff to the high priced stuff, and then having a $500+ bag with threads unraveling (and then possibly having it classified under "normal wear and tear," and not being repaired or replaced. Especially since Coach is a brand built on the idea that something can be well designed and well made, and not cost an arm and a leg. The new Fall catalog is venturing into arm-and-leg territory.

Someone posted about how if you take your extra $$ and go to another brand, you must not be a loyal Coach customer. But I think the crux of that matter is that some people like Coach for the designs, but MOST people like Coach because of its intersection of QUALITY and price point. And when the price point gets too high for the quality offered, then people will search out other brands in the new price range, that offer better quality. Everyone here understands how purses are an emotional ordeal, but at the heart of it, these are financial decisions - everyone wants to feel that their money is well spent. It's hard to feel that way when there's a good chance that a) your bag will be at the outlet next month or b) your bag may not hold up to use. Brand loyalty isn't about being a "real" fan of Brand X. Brand loyalty is an unspoken agreement between vendor and buyer, that Brand X will keep buyer's business as long as they maintain X, Y and Z qualities of said Brand.

Sorry, Kallison, that whole response wasn't just for you. BUt I didn't want to respond 5 times in a row to different posts, so I just got it all out there.

pas de problem cinediva!

but ALL brands are having price increases- it's NOT just coach.

true dat. i'm just saying, if you read back over the Coach forum for the last few weeks, and count the number of quality control problems, it's arguable that the price increases are less justifiable than for other brands. Though of course there is inflation driving up prices, cost of living, salaries, etc.

I LOVE this discussion!

I agree with other posters who state that, if Coach is going to pull this off, they need to spin off a higher-end brand under a different name so there isn't too much watering down of the brand and confusing the customer. Right now I think they're trying to be all things to all people and that's a classic marketing mistake.

I guess we'll see if Wall Street agrees....

true dat. i'm just saying, if you read back over the Coach forum for the last few weeks, and count the number of quality control problems, it's arguable that the price increases are less justifiable than for other brands. Though of course there is inflation driving up prices, cost of living, salaries, etc.
oh agreed. i've had two bags that couldn't be repaired (and about to be a third).

BUT, i also have a chanel that i am quite disappointed in.

uhm. yeah, they do sell a lot of bags, but they're not nearly as accessible as coach (obviously).

oh yeah. i didn't mean they don't sell. it's just that their price point is higher so a) they're less accessible as you say, and b) they don't *need* to sell as many. since it's not as common to get one, it's less likely to hear a flaw story.

/beating the dead horse. :smile:

Yes, for me, it's going to be all about the outlets and ebay, if that's where it's headed/
Honestly when a bag gets over the $500.00, I'm going to spend that $$ on an LV, not a Coach, even though I love Coach. But when they start creeping towards over the $500.00 mark, I draw the line and head elsewhere.
The whole reason I love Coach, is the afforability, especially when you're a person who changes your bag daily. I love those bags around $200.00-$300.00.

Ditto. As much as I :heart: Coach, I'll get my LV Damier Speedy 30 before I pay $600+ for a Coach bag.

IMO the outlet shopper and the boutique shopper are 2 different animals. Many people have expressed concern over paying full retail price for a bag and then seeing it in the outlet several weeks later. I will bet now that the higher priced bags from the fall catalog (Leigh, Miranda, and the $1198 baby I can't remember the name of) will *never* see the outlets as they will sell out very quickly. Personally, if I like a bag I get it then and there and don't play the "will it make it to the outlet game." I realize that everyone is in a different purchasing position but I think Coach has taken that into account with the new designs. There is really something for everyone and every price point in the boutiques now.

I've read that this is how Coach thinks. They believe that their outlet shoppers and their boutique shoppers are different demographics. Apparently Outlet shoppers are about 10-years older than boutique shoppers. (so if I shop in a boutique do I get to be 10 years younger?)

I've read that this is how Coach thinks. They believe that their outlet shoppers and their boutique shoppers are different demographics. Apparently Outlet shoppers are about 10-years older than boutique shoppers. (so if I shop in a boutique do I get to be 10 years younger?)

That's surprising to me! I'd think that college kids and younger demographic would buy outlet due to price but maybe they're more brand and seasonal style conscious? Need to have the latest bag vs. more mature (in years) shoppers who are happy to find a great bag at a great price?

I shop at both b/c sometimes I see a style I really want and other times I just love treasure hunting at the outlet!