Travel Anyone been to Belize???

rnp1987

Apr 21, 2008
Hi everyone!!

So I've recently gotten interested in booking a vacation in Belize... but I have no idea where to start. Has anyone been? If so, where did you stay, would you go back again??? I'm trying to find the perfect tropical vacation that is a little off the beaten path.

Thanks in advance!!!

I went last August and would never go back. Luckily I was only there one night.

I know a lot of people that have been and absolutely loved it so maybe it was just me :smile:

I was there for a few hours as part of a cruise... it's not my ideal spot to vacation there either. It was very hot, extremely humid and we saw poverty pretty much everywhere.

Yeah.. same here. It's kinda scared me. It was a huge eye opener though. It's not the safest vacation spot you could pick and by no means I would consider it tropical.

Belize is definitely a place that is not fully developed. I would likely NOT go back for more.

Actually we stopped there on our last cruise. We had plenty of fun there, but felt a lot safer on a cruise-approved, supervised excursion. There are beautiful places to scuba dive, if you are into that.

Not many beaches. One stoplight in Belize City. And when driving through the town of Belize City, we saw a taxi driver swigging from a tequila bottle.

On a side note: my avatar picture was actually taken in Belize! We took an airboat ride through a swampy area and saw all kinds of wildlife, including beautiful birds, and crocodiles.

If you are looking for a place that's off the beaten path, I'd probably recommend one of the other stops on that same cruise: Isla Roatan, Honduras.

It has gorgeous beaches, tropical forests, and awesome snorkeling.

OP - here are some photos from Belize:

General photo of the community drugstore:

IMG_2790.jpg

THE stoplight:

IMG_2828.jpg

Some fine dining (please note I was not there when this dish was presented... luckily) - I am pretty sure that's a tongue of some kind.

DSC00311.jpg

Isla Roatan is lush, with vibrant hues of green popping from the blue waters and sky. We had so much fun on the beach here.

View from atop one of the many mountainous hills

IMG_2840.jpg

The beach

IMG_2848.jpg

My husband re-enacting "that" scene from Top Gun

IMG_1593.jpg

I was actually in Belize in 1979 when they were British Honduras and had just declared their independence from the Brits and then became Belize. The place was very primitive, there was one hotel, the Fort George Hotel, and radio city Belize was the only radio.

I took a Western Caribbean cruise this past December and two of our stops were in Belize City and Isla Roatan. Yes, Belize City and the surrounding countryside seem "poor" in comparison to some fo the other Latin American and Caribbean countries but my parents and I felt safe while visiting Belize City and were treated well by the locals. I do enjoy visiting some of the more touristy places/cities but at the same time sometimes it's great to visit some of the more exotic and lesser developed countries as well. Here are some photos that I took while boating down one of the larger rivers near Belize City as well as some of the ruins we visited:

2009_1218CaribbeanCruiseDec090015.jpg

2009_1218CaribbeanCruiseDec090016.jpg

2009_1218CaribbeanCruiseDec090010.jpg

2009_1218CaribbeanCruiseDec090011.jpg

Here are some photos that I took of Isla Roatan from the cruise ship while it was docked at port:

2009_1218CaribbeanCruiseDec090023.jpg

2009_1218CaribbeanCruiseDec090032.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm...I recently had the idea that I'd like to visit Belize too, but after seeing all the pictures posted on this thread I'm less enthused and less inclined. I'm thinking this isn't my kind of vacation spot. Bummer...