Travel Anyone been on a Princess Caribbean Cruise?

meechelley

O.G.
Sep 1, 2008
I'm looking for advice on better or worth it shore excursions through the cruise ship. We're going to the western Caribbeans (Cayman, Roatan, Cozumel, Princess Cays). So far I've been thinking about doing the snorkeling in cayman and the all-inclusive beach resort in Cozumel (I believe it was Playa Mia.. the one where you cook with a chef and includes all beverages) through the ship. I can't seem to find many reviews on Princess Cruise excursions so, if anyone has experiences or advice on other excursions in these islands/areas I would be glad to hear them!! TIA!

Thanks for the link! Another question.. I know Princess Cruises puts a mandatory tip daily on your bill... but what would be the "proper/reasonable" amount if we wanted to tip extra?

I've been on a Princess Meditterranean cruise. It was fabulous! The staff was fantastic, food was amazing. The only thing we didn't care for was that the bed in our room was not comfortable at all.

I am a Platinum member, so you can guess that I cruise with Princess often. I love Princess. Overall, it is great, decent food, entertainment, accomodations, service, and all. The only complaint that I have is the expensive excursions, especially for Alaska and Australia/New Zealand. For Western Carribean, the excursions are quite reasonable. Snorkeling, kayaking, and whitewater rafting are fun and RELATIVELY inexpensive. Of course, the cost is less if you do it on your own. Given the limited time and the headache/rush associated with getting back to the ship on time (and safety), it it worth paying a little extra for Princess excursions.

As others have suggested, check out cruisecritics.com and do a search on the top fun things to do in each of the ports. Don't forget to sign up for the rollcalls via cruise critics board. You can ask questions and have discussions with your future fellow cruise-mates.

I just joined my rollcall for Australia/New Zealand. I have already signed up for two private excursions arranged by fellow cruise passengers. Of course, the cost will be less, and there is freedom to do more sightseeing and fun things.

Thanks for the link! Another question.. I know Princess Cruises puts a mandatory tip daily on your bill... but what would be the "proper/reasonable" amount if we wanted to tip extra?

I think the tips are $10.50 or $11 per person (even for babies) per day. The amount will be added automatically to your bill. For fixed time dining, we have the same waiters and assistant waiters serving us for every meal. Thus, at the end of the cruise, we tip them extra separately. Same situation with our cabin stewards. Princess has special white envelopes for you to put your tips. You can hand the envelope directly to the person or give the envelope, sealed with the person's name, to the bursar's office.

In terms of amount, it is up to you.

Wow thank you for the responses! I'm really excited now! hah.. I just signed up for cruisecritics and already see 53 people who will be cruising with us ^__^. There just so much to do in the Grand Cayman and Cozumel islands... that its hard to choose what excursion to go on.

Ooooh, you know what you should do in Grand Cayman? Go to Sting Ray City! Do you like animals? I was going to go last time I was there, but there wasn't enough time.

lv-lover, ty for the suggestions. From all the reviews I've read about it, it seems its the thing to do. So for the Grand Caymans we've decided to do snorkeling ^__^. For Cozumel we decided to do the Resort Day because it includes unlimited beverages (which I think my future FIL would enjoy lol.. I'd probably enjoy it for the first two drinks). And in Roatan I believe we've decided to either do a spa day or go ziplining. Thank you for all the suggestions, especially for the link to cruisecritic it was really helpful!