Anybody sew your own outfits?

Same...left my sewing machine with my parents due to limited space in my Boston apt! I don't sew day-to-day outfits (esp not suits for work) but I used to make my own formal dresses for events such as prom (sigh ... such a long time ago!). Would be interested to see everyone else's DIY!

I used to make my own clothes! I started when I was around 12 years old and all the way through university. I even designed and sewn my prom dress when everyone else purchased theirs. I remember how it was hellish working with the material. Then I stopped and the only thing I use my sewing machine for is to hem my pants.

So glad to see that some young people are interested in sewing clothes. I've been sewing for more years than I care to say, and I worry about it dying out. Clearly, we don't have to sew to save money any more, with fast and cheap fashion available everywhere. It's more for the creative fun now. I think Project Runway has really helped bring sewing and designing into people's view.

Wow, I am super impressed with everyone. I can't sew for the life of me...if I knew how/had the talent, I'd make all my clothing dreams come true. But I resort to etsy now...mostly everyone on there is super talented. :smile:

I am so tempted to take it up, because I can't find the kind of basics I want anywhere (Armani t-shirts at less than $100, you know, the fitted scoop neck kind made out of silk).

I also think this thread belongs in the wardrobe section, because it deals with...one's clothes. It is an alternative to designer duds, and to regulate it to the craft section somehow implies it's inferiority to store bought items...

I have been sewing for MANY years and sewed my first piece of clothing when I was twelve. I am curious if anybody else here sews clothes (for self or others). If so, we would love to see your work!
Wait...I started this thread a few days ago...why is it now here saying somebody else is the OP?

Why was this thread moved? It was about sewing your clothes and that's why I started in in "The Wardrobe".
LoL. I am now wondering about the same thing. I just started what I thought was this thread a few days ago...and now it is melded with this one saying you are the OP. Whats up with that? If it was because you already had a similar thread, I wasn't aware, but they should tell us these things before they just go and move them.

I actually have an abandoned degree in fashion design, I can draft patterns and sew. I've been sewing most of my life. I haven't sewn in a while though, since I quit school. Too busy and no real desire.

I have a weird body shape... And so few clothes fit properly, even $$$ ones... So I learned to sew so I could alter clothes. I buy tons of stuff from op shops that might be perfect but has to be taken in a little, or shortened, or sleeves altered.

I have all these projects I want to do but not so much time to do them... Altering is much quicker and really means you have a great tailored wardrobe :smile:

I just started designing / sewing. It's something I've always wanted to do and now that I'm taking a year off work, it seemed like the perfect time to try. Here are a couple of things that I've worked on:
IMG_3203.jpg

Pencil skirt and pleated shell with removable shoulder sash
IMG_3202.jpg

Here's the same skirt and shell without the sash, added a cardigan with a DIY floral detail belt
IMG_3210.jpg

Blousy print top