Anybody collects exotic skin handbags?

Mimster

Jul 20, 2009
Lately I'm find myself fascinated by some of the exotic skins handbags. I love the texture of a croc or even the sleek feel of the skin of a zebra. (I'm not sure if it really is zebra but it certainly felt something equinely(?).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody here collects the exotic skin handbags. And if you do, do you still stay true to the designer names or do you collect the handbags (regardless of the designer) because of the uniqueness of the skin/texture?

As a rule I'd probably use any kind of leather, as long as I like how the leather looks and how the bag looks. However I'm very squeamish about two particular types, being the ostrich and the lizard. I read on another TPF post that ostrich leather is particularly cruel to the animal, because to make the leather they pluck the ostrich's feathers while it's still alive so that the holes will scab over, and then they kill and skin the bird. I know leather in general gets a lot of flak for being cruel, but I guess after I read that post I was just extra squeamish about it. Also I don't like lizard leather - where I come from, lizards are a pest like mosquitoes, and seeing lizard leather just reminds me of those pests my dad killed for me from my childhood. So no lizard and no ostrich, but everything else is OK.

Will be glad to know what you ladies think!

However I'm very squeamish about two particular types, being the ostrich and the lizard. I read on another TPF post that ostrich leather is particularly cruel to the animal, because to make the leather they pluck the ostrich's feathers while it's still alive so that the holes will scab over, and then they kill and skin the bird.

I love the look of ostrich, but you may have just changed that. What you described sounds horrible!

I always laugh when I read people get all up in arms over how a few animals are treated, but most don't care how their fellow human is treated. :nuts: Back on topic, I haven't collected any yet but I've been eyeing some python and ostrich bags (call me mean, but I love the way it looks so much the only thing that would stop me is it were made out of babies). The only reason I haven't purcahsed them yet is I don't have the designers who make them and don't want to shell out a ton of money on a designer I've never bought from before. You know, don't really know the qualities. Also, I'm not sure how these skins wear. So, I'm not in the point in my life to buy bags with these price tags that I'd only wear once or rarely get to use.

I do have some fur bags in my collection, I know that wasn't the op's question but just wanted to elaborate on what I like.

I have a few exotics but I don't go out of my way to buy them. I have croc, lizard, ostrich, eel, ali, hair-calf and python. Python does not wear well as a skin, like wise chicken or fish skin (which have also been used).

Nearly all are vintage. As people generally paid a lot of money for them in the past they have been kept V. carefully. Although I can't be held as any kind of role model of course these bags are not IMO seasonal or fashionable but things of great beauty to last a lifetime (or even several)

IMO exotic skins are better for trimmings - that way you get the beauty but also durability

I prefer ostrich to croc even though croc is more £$£$£. I have a friend who runs an ostrich farm and I can tell you on that farm they do not pull out their feathers whilst they are still alive. The feathers and the meat are also used.

I would NEVER buy an endagered spiecies even if it was antique let alone 'vintage' or pre-loved.`I wouldn't wear turtle or tortoiseshell or exotic bird feathers or ivory trimmings or elephant skin etc EVER.

I don't like real pony - hair calf ok - but not pony, it usually comes from young foals but hey fur is another thread I guess.

musicalhouses - wow! I didn't know that's how they farm ostrich skin. And I understand about your feelings on lizards. It's also one type of skin I wouldn't want near me.

cocokitty - I found this website http://vintageskins.com/index.html from tPF archives that explains and sells exotic skins. From their inventory, it seems that there are several designers that dealt/deals specifically with exotic skins. I don't know about the quality or workmanship but maybe some of the more experienced ladies here would know or recognized some of the names. (Now there's a thought for a Authenticate This thread...)

papertiger - yes, I agree that if you can find the right piece, then it can last a lifetime. I used to be so turned off by reptile skins but after seeing how well a vintage croc kelly-like purse was, I was awestruck. It was beautiful and it was close to 80 years old! The lustre and craftmanship was amazing.

musicalhouses - wow! I didn't know that's how they farm ostrich skin. And I understand about your feelings on lizards. It's also one type of skin I wouldn't want near me.

cocokitty - I found this website http://vintageskins.com/index.html from tPF archives that explains and sells exotic skins. From their inventory, it seems that there are several designers that dealt/deals specifically with exotic skins. I don't know about the quality or workmanship but maybe some of the more experienced ladies here would know or recognized some of the names. (Now there's a thought for a Authenticate This thread...)

papertiger - yes, I agree that if you can find the right piece, then it can last a lifetime. I used to be so turned off by reptile skins but after seeing how well a vintage croc kelly-like purse was, I was awestruck. It was beautiful and it was close to 80 years old! The lustre and craftmanship was amazing.

Thanks for this. I've seen the site before and they have some real beautys (although to see elephant, turtle and leopard and cheetah turns even my stomache)

This one I'd love this one :http://vintageskins.com/gallery/Fgallery1-1242.jpg as its the older 'cousin' of my Mother's lizard Gucci from the '90s (only made to order no less). I have just 'swapped' temporarily? for my Chanel GST.

There is some good advice etc but I'm always careful with sites who give advice and then sell a product they recomend

Please escuse my terrible spelling at at my Mothers and she believes in beautiful handbags but not English spellcheckers!

Last edited:
OMG, that's the one I have bookmarked and showed dh the other night! I think that bag is gorgeous!

Mimster can I just say (prepare yourself) IT MUST BE G.O..R..G...E-O_S!!!!:yahoo:

Far be it for me to be an enabler but...

They were a way higher price than the (excuse me) ehem..'usual' Gucci croc hobos because they took so much more work.

So many pockets and so beautiful inside and then of course you have the fab exotic outside and what a beautiful colour. Exquisite.

I wore my Mothers into Hermes a week ago (well I had to try it out because I wasn't going to swap my GST for just any bag) and had it on the counter facing me - the back facing the SA and she said sighing "that's a beautiful bag" because she thought it was a H Kelly LOL.

I hope you get it then we can be bag cousins.

:nuts: I'm in heaven! Thanks for the link.

I always laugh when I read people get all up in arms over how a few animals are treated, but most don't care how their fellow human is treated. :nuts: Back on topic, I haven't collected any yet but I've been eyeing some python and ostrich bags (call me mean, but I love the way it looks so much the only thing that would stop me is it were made out of babies). The only reason I haven't purcahsed them yet is I don't have the designers who make them and don't want to shell out a ton of money on a designer I've never bought from before. You know, don't really know the qualities. Also, I'm not sure how these skins wear. So, I'm not in the point in my life to buy bags with these price tags that I'd only wear once or rarely get to use.

I do have some fur bags in my collection, I know that wasn't the op's question but just wanted to elaborate on what I like.

Cocokitty you are HEARTLESS!

I always laugh when I read people get all up in arms over how a few animals are treated, but most don't care how their fellow human is treated.

I assure you... I would never wear bags made out of human! (sorry)

I'm ok with leather because it's a byproduct of food... but I couldn't do anything from endangered animals or animals that are only used for fashion products.

I don't have anything against people who do. People have been killing animals for food and clothes as long as they've been able to use tools. But I just don't feel comfortable doing it for myself.