Any TPF lawyers?? Looking for advice on "H-appropriate" interview wear!

Apr 18, 2006
ladies & gents!

i know the topic of "what-to-wear-when??" is pretty commonly addressed in general, but the answer always depends on the specific circumstances. i was curious as to what tfp-ers feel would be H-appropriate (:P) for corporate law firm interviews in NY and SF. (ok i admit, i might just be unhealthily excited about my new turquoise parures des maharaja silk!)

as background, i'm currently in law school after putting in several years at an investment bank (earning those birkins...and law school tuition, i guess haha). i have found law firm culture somewhat similar to finance, so for my interview wear i'm sticking with black or navy skirt suits. i usually wear louboutin simple pumps (plain black or brown nappa), stockings (just in case i run into a picky interviewer), & an omega speedmaster.

generally, i try not to overdress for interviews (especially for summer associate positions or internships), but there is an element of being client-ready that i want to convey with my appearance and demeanor, and with my work experience, i think the interviewers would be less likely to assume that i am just living off someone else's money and don't need the job (the boyfriend said, "they will probably think you need two jobs to keep up the habit").

so now--i want to know how (if) i should accessorize (prob max 1 or 2 H things, if any)...

birkin 35 (orange) or kelly 40 (rouge h) or non-H or non-designer bag? my other possible options are a goyard st. louis (blue), my celine luggage tote (red), or prada gauffre hobo (black). i don't have a more nondescript-yet-interview-appropriate bag. i think to people who don't know H, the kelly 40 looks pretty conservative and almost like a briefcase. i do have twillies on the H bags, should i remove them if i use one of the bags for interviews?

i love my new scarf, and would love to wear it with a white dress shirt or shell, but worry that it might be too much? Or what about a bracelet--like a kdt? Def not both, i think.

would love to hear some opinions!

Your predicament has been covered extensively in another website focusing on corporate attire for women, and the short answer is no Birkins (not sure if I can list the website here). I find the Kelly in that size looks more briefcase like, but my mantra is better to be safe and discreet than to draw unnecessary attention which might backfire - you never know what kinds of assumptions interviewers might make!

I'd go the Kelly, or the Prada, in that order. Probably the Kelly moreso. Definitely. If its good enough for Christine Lagarde then its good enough for you! (although I am biased). I'd say her Kelly was with her during the Baker & McKenzie days.

When you get the job, you can celebrate with a Bolide! Best of luck.

Attachments

• imagesCAYO6I0J.jpg
    imagesCAYO6I0J.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,695
With the caveat that I lean on the conservative side, I'd actually say no to H for summer associate interviews. You're still a law student, not a power partner, and you don't know how your interviewers are going to judge you (if they recognize the H). You really don't want a factor like that to hurt you.

I actually bought a nondescript black tote just for my summer associate interviews.

With the caveat that I lean on the conservative side, I'd actually say no to H for summer associate interviews. You're still a law student, not a power partner, and you don't know how your interviewers are going to judge you (if they recognize the H). You really don't want a factor like that to hurt you.

I actually bought a nondescript black tote just for my summer associate interviews.

I agree with this completely. I would wear a nondescript, functional bag. You want to draw attention to your accomplishments, not your accessories (and I'm a huge accessory lover!). Once you get the job, you can suss out the workplace and see what kind of attire is approprite, including bags.

This thread discusses a similar situation and you may find more information to help you decide:

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/i...women-avoid-carrying-birkins-work-595077.html

I am one of those "picky interviewers" and here is my advice: no stockings - at least not in NYC, unless its under 50 degrees outside. Bags are fine - any of the ones you mentioned although, I would vote for the conservative color ones over the red (rouge H is okay though). I would not wear the scarf. It may be too distracting and you want your interviewer to look at your face and listen to what you are saying, and not be thinking "oh gee i like that scarf, should i ask her which one that is"

PS - the fact you were an IB is on your resume. If you carry a cheap bag, the women interviewers, knowing how much you used to make, are going to find it "trying to hard" if you DONT walk in with a nice bag. So my advice on the 'birkin/no birkin?' question is - carry the one that holds you resumes neatly and that you feel comfortable with.

Hi, not sure if my comments will help but I'm a lawyer from Asia. I would say no H or other items that shout loud. Neutral tones works best for an interview session. After u snag that job, well, a hell breaks loose.. that's the many cases in Asia. Most impt is the get the position. HTHs.

I would not carry H to an interview for a law intern job. When I was in law school and doing interviews, everyone bought an "interview outfit," which was not what one would wear otherwise. When I interview applicants now, I prefer a neat but not over the top stylish suit, etc.

You also don't mention what type of job it would be -- big firm (likely to see high end bags, shoes, etc.), mid-size firm (less likely), govt job (no H).

I agree with some of the comments above. No H bags since most lawyers know about these bags even without a logo and no Loubotins. The red bottom could be distracting as you walk away. A Manolo or Prada would be good since they are still nice shoes but could not be easily recognized by the bottom.

A scarf is good since it is a conservative way of dressing as long as the color doesn't scream attention. Definitely no twillies on your bags. It is too much accessories for an interview. Once you get the job, you are more free to express yourself.

Bottomline is that you want to look 'well put' but not over the top for the job. They are judging you by how they think their clients will see you.

I agree with this completely. I would wear a nondescript, functional bag. You want to draw attention to your accomplishments, not your accessories (and I'm a huge accessory lover!). Once you get the job, you can suss out the workplace and see what kind of attire is approprite, including bags.

This thread discusses a similar situation and you may find more information to help you decide:

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/i...women-avoid-carrying-birkins-work-595077.html

Completely accurate. This cannot be repeated enough.

Out of the bags you listed, IMO the Kelly is most appropriate for an interview because of its classic style and neutral color. I would remove any twillys etc for the interview though. Maybe you can fasten the straps under the flap (not sure if this works well on a size 40, but it works for me on a 32) - this makes it look more subtle and briefcase-like IMO.

I think an H scarf is fine for an interview if it does not look distracting.

I couldn't help but be drawn into this thread. My DH is a lawyer, as are many of our friends. It's a very conservative culture in terms of dress and design--very different from banking. I would say to dress well and express poise and polish, but keep your handbags and accessories minimal. Remember, you are competing with other students for these positions--no need to draw attention to anything beyond your brains, confidence, and personality. It's an asset for a firm to have among its attorney group great-looking women who present themselves well, but I think a K or a B or a Celine luggage is just too recognizable/distracting. It's also a very tough economy right now in the law world. You could go in there with a leather portfolio/ resume-holder and fit right in...save your amazing bags for the post-interview celebration!

most of the firms i'm looking at are big law firms, so from my previous interactions with lawyers when i was at the bank, it seemed like luxury clothes and accessories were more the norm--which is why i thought maybe it might be ok to use something like the kelly or wear a scarf. my managing director was always impeccably dressed and wore H scarves often.

takeaway: MAYBE I SHOULD LOOK INTO VALEXTRA?? haha just kidding...maybe.

purselover888: your response was my initial reaction--if anything, prob just the kelly
gixxer_617: love the pic! & i think i'll add a bollide to my wishlist :graucho:

i totally understand what lilpicotin, mistikat, ricetable22 are all saying about being conservative and avoiding any distractions or negative perceptions, but i am wondering about jedimaster's comment that because of my background, people might think differently if i DIDN'T carry a nicer handbag. at the bank, i talked clothes and bags with my superiors and colleagues all the time, and it was actually a way to connect with other women (and some men).