Any TPF lawyers?? Looking for advice on "H-appropriate" interview wear!

Dear Bunnyslopes,

If I might weigh in . . .

I've been practicing law for more than 30 years AND have a Major Hermes obsession. DO NOT under any circumstance wear any Hermes to an interview. You want to shine, not your accessories. You want to appear as if serious and that you need the job. You do not want to appear superficial.

Ask yourself what is it you're trying to say by wearing Hermes. You're accomplished, successful? Rely on your record, not your handbag. My recommendation: wear the Prada, forget the Louboutins.

I don't think it's a good idea to be wearing something more expensive than that worn by the people hiring you. And the point is, you just don't know about the corporate culture at the interview stage, let alone the vicissitudes of the individual interviewers.

You don't want to be an object of envy. Your interviewers will be balancing mortgages, college education funds, braces, child care costs, health care, remodeling, business expenses etc. a myriad of considerations you don't know of, and will wonder how in the heck you can afford an Hermes handbag and will wonder why you would be that extravagant. I know this from having been on the other side of the desk, especially since I know exactly what these things cost.

Finally, be careful about wearing Hermes with clients. They're paying extremely hefty fees for your services. To wear Hermes, is like waving it in their faces. They may be struggling in their business and may have difficulty meeting expenses-it just isn't good taste to be that extravagant-there is the risk clients and colleagues will be resentful. You don't need to introduce that element into the equation. Remember the Martha Stewart debacle?

While my closet is lined in orange, I don't wear anything special to court or to client meetings. I wear a Medor watch to court, discreet jewelery, and if I want to wear an Hermes bag, I carry a Bolide, which I bought precisely for that purpose. And if I do wear a good watch, I wear it with long sleeves so it can cover it if need be.

Ms. Lagarde can carry Hermes because she's at a stage in her life where she's earned it. She has nothing to prove.
On the other hand, you're just starting out. I think it far better to stick just a toe in the water before diving in, otherwise there is a real risk you could poison the well.

Thank you for being sensitive enough to seek advice. I wish you the very best of luck in your interviews. Please let us know how they turn out and of course, all of your Hermes adventures!

Perfectly stated.

Dear Bunnyslopes,

I've been practicing law for more than 30 years AND have a Major Hermes obsession. DO NOT under any circumstance wear any Hermes to an interview. You want to shine, not your accessories. You want to appear as if serious and that you need the job. You do not want to appear superficial.

Ask yourself what is it you're trying to say by wearing Hermes. You're accomplished, successful? Rely on your record, not your handbag. My recommendation: wear the Prada, forget the Louboutins.

I don't think it's a good idea to be wearing something more expensive than that worn by the people hiring you. And the point is, you just don't know about the corporate culture at the interview stage, let alone the vicissitudes of the individual interviewers.

You don't want to be an object of envy. Your interviewers will be balancing mortgages, college education funds, braces, child care costs, health care, remodeling, business expenses etc. a myriad of considerations you don't know of, and will wonder how in the heck you can afford an Hermes handbag and will wonder why you would be that extravagant. I know this from having been on the other side of the desk, especially since I know exactly what these things cost.

Finally, be careful about wearing Hermes with clients. They're paying extremely hefty fees for your services. To wear Hermes, is like waving it in their faces. They may be struggling in their business and may have difficulty meeting expenses-it just isn't good taste to be that extravagant-there is the risk clients and colleagues will be resentful. You don't need to introduce that element into the equation. Remember the Martha Stewart debacle?

While my closet is lined in orange, I don't wear anything special to court or to client meetings. I wear a Medor watch to court, discreet jewelery, and if I want to wear an Hermes bag, I carry a Bolide, which I bought precisely for that purpose. And if I do wear a good watch, I wear it with long sleeves so it can cover it if need be.

Ms. Lagarde can carry Hermes because she's at a stage in her life where she's earned it. She has nothing to prove.
On the other hand, you're just starting out. I think it far better to stick just a toe in the water before diving in, otherwise there is a real risk you could poison the well.

Thank you for being sensitive enough to seek advice. I wish you the very best of luck in your interviews. Please let us know how they turn out and of course, all of your Hermes adventures!

Very wise words!

Dear Bunnyslopes,

wise words.

I don't know when your interviews are, but if you are wearing a black or navy suit I like opaque hose with Manolo pumps and don't forget the pearl studs (not diamond). I have "served time" at both an investment bank and a law firm LOL, and the H scarf is the "power play." Don't fall for it and think that an interviewee is welcomed to wear it. If it were me, I would still wear the Kelly 40 in black, particularly if it is not new. But I think CA is more dressed down than NY. Good luck!

yes, i totally understand about the scarf. i will be content with wearing it everyday when i'm "off duty" haha!

Dear Bunnyslopes,

good post! I agree whole-heartedly

I am a lawyer much older than you at a large, international firm in New York. I would advise you not to wear a single recognizable label to an interview. New Yorkers, male and female, are aware of designer clothes and will draw conclusions that may not be accurate or flattering. The market is very difficult right now. Save your designer clothes for a few years, when you have earned the right to be judged on your competence and not on your birkin.

I am a lawyer much older than you at a large, international firm in New York. I would advise you not to wear a single recognizable label to an interview. New Yorkers, male and female, are aware of designer clothes and will draw conclusions that may not be accurate or flattering. The market is very difficult right now. Save your designer clothes for a few years, when you have earned the right to be judged on your competence and not on your birkin.

Great post.

Dear Bunnyslopes,

I totally concur with Poodlgrl's advice! I have been practicing law for over 26 years now, am a partner in a big law firm and have never carried my Birkins to the office nor with clients. I have only used my Bolide on few occasions when I knew I was not going to meet clients or see too many people in the office. Unfortunatley, we have to look like we need to earn a living... Good luck with your interviews!

thanks for all your responses! i think it seems like it's better to be safe in terms of wearing anything that might attract attention. it kind of sucks that people might react negatively to something like a handbag or shoes, but c'est la vie.

any suggestions on good sheer hose? although i'm starting to think i might just ditch them. the only reason i have this idea that i have to wear them is because i had several senior women tell me that they think women should wear it in formal settings (and it was required by the dress code at one of the more formal investment banks).

do ferragamo carla pumps fall in the controversial category? i used to wear the low heel varas to interviews, but now i think they look a little too young.

My "no hose" advice is based on the fact that women in NY don't wear them (and havent for as long as long as I can remember -at least the last ten years) - it makes you look like, uh, you are not from these parts LOL. If it were winter, dark tights would be fine, but in the summer, hose are not the local custom. I can only speak for NYC - I have no idea what its like "off the island."
I am a very senior partner, and recently interviewed for an associate position. The women candidates all dressed perfectly in dark skirt suits and feminine shirts. If one had come in a trouser suit or an office appropriate dress (in navy or charcoal), though, that would have been fine, too.

Dear Bunnyslopes,

Thanks for this great and thoughtful response. I especially appreciate the perspective regarding wearing Hermes in front of clients, particularly considering the current economic climate.

After the many responses here, I definitely will stay away from any obviously-designer items. In general, I try to stick to a more classic and plain look, and as we all know, certain brands are the standard for a specific silhouette or style. But what I am hearing is that I should go out of my way to be discreet (e.g. opting for Prada or Manolo instead of Louboutin even if it is just a plain black pump, a non-designer handbag). As for Hermes, the general consensus seems to be absolutely no Hermes, since those who know the brand might make certain negative assumptions. The last thing I want to do is take the chance of offending someone I am interviewing with.

As for stockings, I am starting to think this could be a cultural/generational difference between the women who offered me the advice and what has become generally accepted in the workplace. As the deciding factor, for comfort reasons, I think I will just skip that torture altogether!

:goodpost: