any tpf-ers want to join to write a petition letter to chanel? please read!

Well, the biggest problem I think is that for them to listen to us, is that they would have to acknowledge that there are quality problems.

I just think they're not going to say: "ok, we know we sacrificed quality for money, but you sadly found out so we'll go back to premium quality".

I mean, that would look very bad and might even mean a decrease in sales...

BUT, I'm in!

A Mod can do anything she likes, but no one should ever use the name The Purse Forum/Blog ever. This is Vlad and Megs site, their business name should not be used for leverage in dealing w/ companies.

There's no harm voicing the opinion and the more the better. I do agree with Miffy. If we keep purchasing new purses, they are going to keep making them. Let's face it businesses are in business to make money. One business model is to cut corners to fatten the bottom line while riding on past branding. This is one business model but not all. Another model is to maintain the image, branding and quality. We may not like increases in price, but when the quality hasn't diminished when one purchases that product, there are far less heartache stories such as a lot of us have experienced with Chanel.

Change never happens if people don't stand up to be heard. Unite and write!!

Even without referencing tpf at all it could be same letter sent from all over world to same person x 100s.

this could be the great idea!! and we could possibly attached our signature together with the letter! facebook also might be the great alternative!! so not only tpf members, but other people around the world can also make an input regarding their own issue towards chanel's quality!

Last edited:
I think writing letter is a very good idea to bring awareness to the quality issues of the bags. However like others have mentioned, we need to follow through with our buying power. Complaining about the issues yet still continuing to buy the bags/jewelleries will not put much weight to our stance.

I think putting the petition onto FB is a good idea as this will be more awareness to general public. As well, I think that we should involve or at least let the SAs be aware of the discontentment of the qualities.

I believe Chanel is still a family owned private company. Here's the info I found from a finance site:

Contact Information
Address: 135, Avenue Charles de Gaulle
92521 Neuilly-sur-Seine Cedex, France
Phone: +33-1-46-43-40-00
Fax: +33-1-47-47-60-34

Financial Highlights
Fiscal Year End: December
Revenue (2008): 1884.10 M
Employees (2008): 1,220

Key People
• Chairman: Alain Wertheimer
• Global CEO: Maureen Chiquet
• President: Francoise Montenay

Chanel S.A. Company Profile

Known for classic coutures like "the little black dress" and famed fragrance Chanel No. 5, Chanel has been a haute name in fashion and cosmetics for decades. The company also creates watches and jewelry and has a single license -- for eyewear with Luxottica. Founder Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel opened her first boutique in 1913, touting designs known for simplicity. Coco died in 1971, and Chanel's style stagnated for years until Karl Lagerfeld took over the designs and revived the label by tapping a younger market. The company boasts about 100 boutiques worldwide. Controlled by chairman Alain Wertheimer's family, Chanel also owns Eres and Paraffection.

The best thing to do to let chanel know that their bags are not good is to stop buying their bags.

Bought a Lanvin recently. Quality amazing. Half the price of Chanel. I rest my case.

I agree with Miffy. Personally, I can't get on board with this. I realize that lots of PFers have been complaining about quality control issues, but personally, I have yet to experience any myself so I can't complain. I feel like all of the Chanel items that I have purchased have been great (except for a couple pairs of shoes). My method of protest has been to purchase less and purchase vintage (or things that are a few years old before people started reporting all of the problems).

Also, it isn't as if Chanel doesn't KNOW about these problems. They are getting bags sent in for repair (so obviously there are problems when brand new bags are coming in for repair). Some SAs have even admitted to knowing about problems. They are just choosing to do nothing about any problems because people keep buying.

However, I do support my fellow PFers (as long as they don't mention TPF in the letter).

great idea! i'm totally in.

just to illustrate a point, a few months ago i was tossing between purchasing an LV vernis zippy wallet (i love pomme de amour, the red vernis) vs Chanel clutch-type wallet in fuschia. Since i thought i have "moved on" from LV, i went for Chanel. Needless to say, within less than 3 months i could already see cracks on the leather where it folds, and threads coming out here and there.

i NEVER had this problem with a much less expensive LV. so i took the plunge and bought the LV vernis wallet a few days ago and now that Chanel wallet is back in its box. SAD!!

i'm quite put off with the bad quality and have been buying heaps of balenciagas lately. at least their price is justified.. not going to buy anymore Chanel until quality improves (going to be a challenge since i live in a town where it is a "must" to carry Chanel bags but who cares).

Sending the same letter multiple times is a good idea. One letter ends up in the trash multiple send a message and makes it harder to ignore.

Yes Chanel is a private company, with offices in multiple countries. I know where the US office is, just not the exact address.

I have to agree with the others that the best thing to do is stop buying like crazy and some people just need to have some more realistic expectations.

Very good point re realistic expectations... I just think numerous same letters woul be funny. They'd have to hear but probably won't listen. Personally I don't have enough of complaints to justify writing but gofor it if you feel strongly...

This is a great idea, ladies! But imagine you are a business and customers are dissatisfied with quality aspects of your products but continue to buy. Imo a shrewd businessperson, especially one that carries the status and clout of a brand name like Chanel, will not be as motivated to address complaints if, fiscally, it makes little difference. Now imagine thousands of letters from disgruntled customers/clients refusing to purchase a product; it would cause a stir, and changes would become necessary to ensure survival of the brand as well as healthy increases in revenue.

The best thing to do to let chanel know that their bags are not good is to stop buying their bags.

Bought a Lanvin recently. Quality amazing. Half the price of Chanel. I rest my case.
Exactly. That would show them that the quality is so poor, people stopped buying. Can we all agree to do that? It would be far more effective than a letter.

Boycotting them would be even more effective but how do you stop TPFers (including myself) from buying Chanel bags? :biggrin: They, of course, know this

Exactly. That would show them that the quality is so poor, people stopped buying. Can we all agree to do that? It would be far more effective than a letter.