Any tPF civilians "packing?"

Does anyone actually carry their gun with them all the time?

I have a student that's very...unusual, and his facebook account lists his interests as "Guns and other things made to hurt people." and he has all these banners that say, "I support the right to carry concealed weapons on campus."

It makes me so so so so nervous to know that he probably carries a weapon on him at all times including when I'm teaching him, especially since he's a little different.

I don't know about the CC laws in your state, but is illegal here to CC or open carry on educational campuses.

I have a keltec 32 for CC purposes. My husband "made me" take the class. I am now glad that he did. When we go shoot, lots of people who have been certified to CC show and it is a great time to practice learning how to handle different types of firearms. I actually used a 38 revolver for certification. I recommend it if for no other reason than firearms safety education

I'm really curious on this subject I by no means want to turn ths in to a right or wrong debate so feel free to delete my comment if you feel it's inappropriate..but here I go....

I understand that alot of people say safety is the main reason for having a gun but how realistic is this I understand training etc but isn't shooting a person different from shooting a target and (although I fully admit I do not have all the facts) isn't a break in more likely to result in injury or fatality for the homeowner when the homeowner has a weapon due to being taken by surprised/over powered

Those with guns what is you plan for it? Is it a scare tactic or would you be fully prepared to use it

my instructor told me he's not allowed to tell people "shoot to kill", but outside of class, he said you better know you'll use it if you need it if you pull it on an intruder. . . and shoot to kill. If you hurt them, they'll come back pissed off! LOL!

I'm fully prepared to use it if it came to choosing between an intruder's life or mine or my family's.
I'm not afraid of my firearm and I'm not afraid to use it if I knew I needed to.

Unfortunately, people who shouldn't have them, have them. They're the ones that will put me in a position to use mine if the need ever comes up I'm sure.

oh, BTW, we lived through a home robbery at my house when I was 13 because my Dad had a firearm.
The Chief of Police told us that was the first time he's ever responded to a home robbery when the homeowner had the 'perp' apprehended!:lol:
I watched the bastard creep around my house and eventually break in my backdoor. . . .

Thank you for that, it was an interesting read. It really does bother me. I don't really have a problem with responsible gun use, my grandfather had a gun in the house when I was growing up, never bothered me (especially after someone tried to break in! eek!), but guns on my campus do, especially after this student that I had this semester. He was a little off, and did strange things (i had to report him once to my supervisor for something that he did). Knowing that he probably has a gun in his bookbag is really upsetting. It makes me feel like I don't have control over my classroom.

Those with guns what is you plan for it? Is it a scare tactic or would you be fully prepared to use it

I don't think it should be used as a scare tactic. You don't want an intruder to know you have seen him, much less that you are armed. You have to be ready to destroy the target. Period. (In other words, I would be fully prepared to use it.)

I'm sorry but can I ask why you carry arms? It just seams so strange to me. I grew up around them as my father was a cop and a hunter. But the only time we ever saw his service revolver was when he came home mid shift. It was always locked in his locker in the station. But I have never understood why everyday people carry them around with them???

I'm an attorney and a while back I was alone in the office I worked for until closing. The area was starting to be very violent with new criminal activities flourishing so hubby and I thought it would be a good precaution to take. I'm no longer at that firm but still, I'm an attorney specializing in family law. I've had death threats from dead beat dads...my tires have been slashed. I'm not taking any chances. If I'm not armed, hubby is. We're educated about guns and take all the measures possible to ensure our safety as well as others.

I don't think it should be used as a scare tactic. You don't want an intruder to know you have seen him, much less that you are armed. You have to be ready to destroy the target. Period. (In other words, I would be fully prepared to use it.)

:yes: Hubby and I are firm believers in only taking out the guns IF we're ready to shoot to kill, not to scare or show off. That said, somebody comes in our backyard they better be ready to face the consecuences.

This is a really interesting thread. My dad has a gun and often goes shooting, and DH has recently taken an interest. I do think that gun education and being responsible owners come first. Here in CA though, I hear it is really hard to get a permit to carry. And I don't know if this is true, but I also heard you can't shoot to kill until the very last minute (ie when the intruder/bad guy tries to kill you first).. huh? :shrugs:

If I felt as if my life or my family's life was in danger I would shoot to kill. I know the laws where I live if someone breaks into your house you can shoot them. In the past 6 months there has been about three people killed where I grew up from breaking into homes, and you know what?......people have thought twice before they go breaking down someone's door.

I'm an attorney and a while back I was alone in the office I worked for until closing. The area was starting to be very violent with new criminal activities flourishing so hubby and I thought it would be a good precaution to take. I'm no longer at that firm but still, I'm an attorney specializing in family law. I've had death threats from dead beat dads...my tires have been slashed. I'm not taking any chances. If I'm not armed, hubby is. We're educated about guns and take all the measures possible to ensure our safety as well as others.

Me too! Only to take it a step further, I represent victims of domestic violence and sexual assault in protective order matters AND family law. The victims we represent do not pay us for services, and we take only the worst (as in high lethality) cases. I am known as the meanest attorney in my office, and I accompany my clients when they testify in criminal cases against their abusers. We have a security officer AND the Family Violence Unit detectives on site and security has photos of many of my "defendants" in case they come around. One of my partners knew an attorney who was shot on the job, so you can't be too careful. Nice that we work in the least respected area of law for clients who are generally never happy with the outcome (mine, anyway...can't understand why dad can beat and rape them and still gets to see the kids) AND we get to risk our lives to do it.