any thought on an English Mastiff?

notmuch

........yet
Feb 15, 2008
My BF and I were at a concert a few weeks ago and a fellow had a HUGE English mastiff with him, my bf was instantly in love with it and now wants one too.
I thought it was cool because it was ridiculously huge and cute, I told him to get one....but now im kind of scared about it because I am wondering;

Do they drool a lot? I dont want to have to get a raincoat just to play with it.

Do they shed a lot? My bfs parents have a yellow lab which drives me CRAZY beause there is tiny hairs everywhere, you instantly have a new fur coat when you touch the furniture.

Oh, and do they have an insatiable appetite? The same lab is so bad, he breaks into the cupboards, tears up the garbage (even busts the baby gates to get to it!) and can reach food on the counters and steals anything. He is nonstop hungry, and I cannot stand this.

I like the lab, just not his fur, drool, and hunger, and I definitely do not want a bigger dog with the same features!

I'm sorry to say that but if you think a Lab is bad I guess a Mastiff would drive you crazy. :greengrin:

They DO shed, drool and eat more than a lab. ;) I think they are great dogs but they can have health issues so it's important to find an excellent breeder.

I would read a lot about the breed and see if a Mastiff will suit you and your lifestyle. :smile:

def read about the breed first....you are looking at a HUGE dog that def will eat a lot and drool....i love the drool so that doesnt bother me that much....BUT always read up a lot about the dog before you get it....you dont want to be sorry later and the poor dog ends up looking for a new home....
i always wanted a mastiff but the size and strength didnt make it a good choice for me...i settled on my beloved boxer instead...and never looked back...
good luck...i am sure you will make a great decision...

First off, do you have the room for a Mastiff?? Is your house large? Do you have plenty of room for him/her to exercise??

I agree these dogs get huge. My brother has one..he was a pretty big house and she gets daily walks. They do shed alot. My brother's one is a female and she's the sweetest dog!! She drools only when she's tired from exercising...but for the most part she's really lethargic. Good dogs though! Here's a pic of her..she's a little over a year old..and isn't done growing yet.

Attachments

• gingersnap.jpg
    gingersnap.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 152
i don't know a lot about the breed but my neighbors have one and it's the most obedient dog. usually it's in their back yard most of the time (fenced in) but sometimes they'll hang out in their front yard with the dog allowed to roam around and he won't wander off their yard at all.

and i think that speaks wonders for the dog because these people do not take care of their property or stuff so i think it's amazing they have such a well trained dog.

First off, do you have the room for a Mastiff?? Is your house large? Do you have plenty of room for him/her to exercise??

I was wondering these samethings...

I grew up with a dog that was a yellow lab/mastiff mix. He had the size of a mastiff but looked like a giant lab, we were lucky and he didn't have the drooling issue that mastiffs commonly have. He was an awesome dog, very mild mannered, great with people of all ages, listened well and was just an all around good companion. Initailly people were scared of him because of his size, and he was about the biggest wimp ever. But like someone else said they do tend to have medical issues and he was only with us for 7 years. My parents also have a huge yard so Walker and his best buddy Otis (black lab/Aussie mix) had tons of room to chase eachother around. My husband already knows that whenever we buy a house that I absolutely want another one.

Oh yeah, he also thought he was a lap dog, doesn't work out so well when he weighs more than you.

I just read what you typed about the lab and yes mastiffs are going to eat more because they are bigger and they can just plop their head onto the kitchen counter to steal whatever food is up there. Of course they shed more, I have yet to own any animal that didn't shed everywhere.

lol, she is really cute SweetPea83 ! I like them because they are so friendly, but we dont have a lot of room, but he really wants this dog and is trying to convince me he will take it out and it will get lots of exercise and it wont be in the way, but I dont think it is a good idea right now. We haven't even potty trained our dachshund, I cant imagine a giant mastiff mess! Im gonna have to say no for now, maybe if we move. :nogood:

You have to learn how to feed them properly. They also need training but then they are great dogs who will protect you. They are also couch potatoes. They do not need that much room because they love to lay around and sleep. I love then but purchase one from a good breeder get on the breed web and kearn about them.