Food Any sausage gravy secrets?

kbell

O.G.
Aug 20, 2007
Live free or die
One of my SO favorite breakfasts is biscuits & gravy so I'm going to make this Christmas morning.
Every recipe I've looked up has the same basic ingredients. He said sometimes the sausage gravy is bland which
he doesn't like, neither do I, so I'm looking for some secret ingredient to make it more bold & tasty without
ruining it. Any suggestions?

twin-fun

O.G.
Mar 27, 2006
Not where I'd like to be
There really is no secret to making bold gravy. All you need to do is adjust your seasonings. It's also important to use a good quality, well seasoned sausage to begin with because your gravy's taste depends in part on the pan drippings so you may want to consider using a spicier sausage such as Andouille or add a couple dashes of hot sauce along with black pepper.

alex9179

Jul 24, 2015
Agree that it's all in the sausage. For a regular store brand, I like Owens brand hot. Which isn't that hot but is seasoned well. I will also use plain ground pork and season it myself.

If it's bland, it probably needs salt. Taste the gravy before you serve it. Use a corse salt, like kosher, instead of table salt. It's not as easy to overdo it. Add a pinch at a time, stir, then taste. Add some pepper if you think that it needs a little kick.