Any recommendations for a possible convert?

shadowyi

A little classic..:]
O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
Hello all!

I'm quite heartbroken right now thanks to severe quality issues with my favorite brand over the last couple of months. For the price point I pay at, I simply should not have straps breaking, stitches coming loose, and embellishments falling out all over the place! Hermes is always touted as the brand to go for if you want quality, so I'm thinking maybe it's time to switch out.

I love Chanel's classic flap (I own so darn many lol!), so I'm really looking for something that's VERY easy to get in and out of (that turnlock is amazing), has very clean and elegant lines, and very importantly, is a classic shape! I'm not in the market for a Birkin/Kelly because I don't want to spend that much on a bag. The jumbo flap is the very most I want to spend, so my budget is around the $3,000 range. Any recommendations that whisper elegant chic? Thank you so much!

I would take a look at the Evelyn bag. It's a over the shoulder bag with an outer pocket (supposed to be worn with the H towards the body!). Beautiful balance, easy to get into, well made. And in your price range.

Another bag I love (but might be a little more, I'd have to check) is the Trim. It's Jackie Kennedy's over the shoulder bag (the one she carried in that picture where she is climbing the White House steps, holding JohnJohn's hand) Simple bite closure, and again, very ergonomic.

Both bags are under the radar, and classics. I'd also be tempted to recommend the Victoria, Paris-Bombay, or the Plume. The picotin is one of my favorite bags, but is a bit more casual than I believe your style to be.

For a bit more than your budget, the Boldie (continuously made since the 1930s!) is iconic and a bit of a cult bag. Something to plan for!

Don't be afraid of resale bags - many are in like-new condition. The H bags last decades. Probably centuries (we'll know in about 10-15 years about the centuries mark!) But don't forget to have anything you are interested in checked by the brilliant authenticators of the thread.

I would take a look at the Evelyn bag. It's a over the shoulder bag with an outer pocket (supposed to be worn with the H towards the body!). Beautiful balance, easy to get into, well made. And in your price range.

Another bag I love (but might be a little more, I'd have to check) is the Trim. It's Jackie Kennedy's over the shoulder bag (the one she carried in that picture where she is climbing the White House steps, holding JohnJohn's hand) Simple bite closure, and again, very ergonomic.

Both bags are under the radar, and classics. I'd also be tempted to recommend the Victoria, Paris-Bombay, or the Plume. The picotin is one of my favorite bags, but is a bit more casual than I believe your style to be.

For a bit more than your budget, the Boldie (continuously made since the 1930s!) is iconic and a bit of a cult bag. Something to plan for!

Don't be afraid of resale bags - many are in like-new condition. The H bags last decades. Probably centuries (we'll know in about 10-15 years about the centuries mark!) But don't forget to have anything you are interested in checked by the brilliant authenticators of the thread.

You wouldn't go wrong with the Trim, the Evelyne, or the Bolide. I have all three! I also have a Chanel flap, which I don't like because of the flap.

If you like Chanels classic flaps how about the Constance? It comes in different sizes, leathers and colors and it has a flap ;) - here's one in black box & lizard

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I second what Vintage Leather said, and I would also recommend the leather version of the Garden Party bag. It's another H classic if you like tote style bags. The only possibly downside is it's only closed by a single button so it depend on whether you're comfortable with that.

There's also a shoulder bag called Marwari.

Good luck!

For just a little more than you'd spend on a Chanel Jumbo flap you could get a nice 32 Kelly bag pre-owned in very good condition. I think the Chanel flaps and kelly bags are similar in that they have been around for decades, and are the epitome of classic. I have many Kelly bags and also have and love my Chanel classic flaps. I think its a perfect transition.

Id agree about the Constance, except the larger one 25cm has been discontinued and impossible to find and the other sizes are not good for every day bags.

You should keep an eye out for the shopping thread with great finds that we have.

Oh my! Thank you all for the fast responses, I'm bowled over!

Thank you for all the suggestions Vintage Leather! Quite an informative and helpful post. I hadn't thought about the Evelyne before because I thought you were supposed to wear the "H" facing outwards -- too flashy! Haha, oops! I immediately went to ebay your suggestions, and the Evelyn and Trim look like very viable alternatives -- I forgot to mention I'm partial to shoulder bags. :biggrin:

Cleo -- thank you for the Constance recommendation! Unfortunately, it reminds me too much of a flap. I'd find myself missing my flaps instead. :sad:

Luccibag -- I hadn't realized preowned Kellys were around a Jumbo's range! Thank you so much for pointing that out. However, are they a slight hassle to get in when you carry them by the hand?

Sorry for the double post, but never say never! I happened to stumble upon a picture of someone modeling her picotin when I was looking at pictures of the Lindy (alright, so the Linda is out of my price range, but I'm so fed up right now that I'm considering selling two of my bags. Grr!), I had no idea the Picotin could be taken to such dressy events! My dress may not be as formal as I might come across, I'm usually in jeans, tshirt + more formal jacket, or jeans and more formal top. Would a picotin work with that?

Picotin would work great for casual. Its just an open top so you have to be okay with that and the bag is not structured at all. I recently tried one and it did not work for me. :sad:

Yes, since Jumbos are now 3K, you can definitely get a preowned Kelly for that price. I saw a gorgeous red box calf 32 Kelly the other day on Ebay. If I didnt already have 2 red kelly's I'd have gotten it. It was gorgeous. Yes the Kelly can be a pain to get in/out of but you can just use the turnlock closure and leave the straps hanging if you are shopping or opening it a lot. The only thing I miss when Im using it instead of my flaps is the back pocket for my phone. Also, the Kelly has a shoulder strap too so it can be hand carry OR on the shoulder as well. It can be somewhat of a PITA but its such a great looking bag that I deal with it lol.

Last edited:
The constance is similar with the flap shape, and the handy back pocket! I bet that back pocket was not as useful as it is nowadays. The only thing it could have been used for was cards and maybe some cash but with the slim phones we have today, it holds my iphone or Ipod just fine. Its just pretty limited in size. It is a pretty small bag. I dont know why they discontinued the 25cm Constance. That is more of a functional bag.

good good join us ! but in this range maybe a bitmore , tiny bit more and a masai very nice perfect leather and besides its so very hermes i recomend this one hope it helps birkel!

The Picotin is my favorite H bag for everyday. But I absolutely HATED my flaps. So we probably like different things from a bag. I do think the suggestions you received in Mulberry forum might work - the East-West Bayswater is cute. Don't know anything about their quality though.