Any pshycologies here??

  1. Ok, so I have this question. If you go to school in a different country and get a degree in Psychology, What do you have to do in order to practice in the USA? :confused1:

    Do you have to "validate" your degree going to school here as well?

    Thank you very much, I wil appreciate your advices and answers
  2. One of my undergrad degrees is in Psychology, so I'll comment on this one. It is my understanding that for Clinical Psychology, you can only have a private practice if you have a PhD. If you have a Master's, you cannot have your own private practice, you must practice with someone who has a PhD. don't know what the requirements are for marriage counselors, family therapists, etc.

    I know there are psychologists on the board who can probably also shed some light on this topic.
  3. First, you would need to have your transcript evaluated by an approved International Educational Evaluation service to determine that it is indeed equivalent to a US Bachelor's degree (believe me, not all foreign degrees are equivalent). Once this is determined, then you need more schooling - entry to a graduate level program in either a Doctorate or Master's program.

    Although the areas can overlap and be similar in some aspects, there is a huge difference between being a "Psychologist" and a "Counselor" or "Therapist"

    Clinical Psychologists tend to work with more seriously disturbed populations. This includes diagnosis and treatment of a given pathology. Many will work in long-term personal / clinical settings, and some in conjunction with medical organizations. Depending on their location, they may also be conducting research and/or teaching. These are PhD level programs.

    Counseling / General Psychology graduates work with healthier, less pathological populations and may also conduct more career and vocational assessment. These tend to be more on the level of finding solutions to life problems. Requirements are often Master's level programs and practice can be private, but will focus more on the level of personal counseling of individual, groups, or couples.

    Most of this falls within marriage/family therapy (MFT License), or within a Social Work (MSW), or general counseling settings. There are licensure processes with several of these programs, which include coursework, supervised internships, and examinations. Examples are the MFT, LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker). All counseling programs will include fieldwork/intern hours - the type of program and licensure will determine how many you need to complete.

    There's also programs for educational counseling, which deals with personal issues in relation to youth and academics, as well as those re-entering the workforce / mid-life career changers. This type can also interpret educational testing, vocational and career assessments and provide appropriate consulation. These are more along the line of general counseling, career counseling, educational /school counseling. Very similar psych theory, but the added component of educational settings and policies.