Any programmers here?

merika

Wol
O.G.
Nov 1, 2006
Is there anyone around who writes computer programs as part of their work? If so what kind of programming language do you use, and for what purpose? And do you use any other software in conjunction with the code you write?

I'm doing mainly modelling and numerical methods so I use C++ , G++ or Visual C++ which are widely used in Physics/Math. Some of us still use Fortran, believe it or not!

I used to program heavily in school during my undergrad, nowadays not as much. I found out that I had a sickening compassion for assembly which really freaked me out. Guess it was the fact that I was writing so close to the machine that made it appealing to me.

Nowadays I do mainly work in PHP, for both tPF and other project.

I used to do Java for about 2 years (for work)and got completely bored of it. I managed to get out of it and currently doing web development, which is a little lighter. If you want to chat up with some programmers, i think there are a lot of programers forums out there. :yes:

I used to do Java for about 2 years (for work)and got completely bored of it. I managed to get out of it and currently doing web development, which is a little lighter. If you want to chat up with some programmers, i think there are a lot of programers forums out there. :yes:

Ooh, no I really don't like to join programmer forums unless I'm in really deep trouble with some project and need serious help. Programming time is work time and purseblog time is downtime :smile:.

SO is a MCSD and talking to him does not make me want to chat with programmers :P - he takes his prgramming far more seriously than I do!

I was just curious to see how many of you did programming as part of your work.

I do...but very lightly. I work with databases so I write a lot of VBA, VBScript, VB. I know, I know...that's not a REAL language. I've been wanting to get into .net, java script, PHP and PERL.

Vlad's comment really threw me off.

I saw PHP and i was like that's Purse Hating Papa??? Who does the P stand for??? How can Vlad work for a PH-ANything???

then i realized it was a programming language.... Ahhhhh mystery solved

Needless to say, you should have already figured out i'm not a programmer....

I saw PHP and i was like that's Purse Hating Papa??? Who does the P stand for??? How can Vlad work for a PH-ANything???

then i realized it was a programming language.... Ahhhhh mystery solved

Needless to say, you should have already figured out i'm not a programmer....

:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

OMG Vlad as "Purse Hating Papa"...now my mental image of Vlad will be a cranky old man saying "I hate purses!"

I don't think I've ever really programmed anything LOL. Back in school I used to put little codes into Flash that are called action scripts I believe.. but I guess I'm nowhere near what you mean! hehehe