any Persian TPF girls?

chessmont

O.G.
Aug 22, 2006
I'm not Persian, but my wonderful, fantastic incredibly talented did I say fabulous?, hairstylist is Persian. She tells wonderful (and sometimes bittersweet) stories about living in Tehran (sp?) before the revolution; she had many fabulous parties, everyone wore beautiful designer clothes, it was very cosmopolitan then. She has been in the US since ~ 1980, and went back there this year or last (I can't remember) for the first time. She said how nice it was seeing so many wonderful friends from the past.

All of the Persians I have met here are such warm, generous, lovely people.

lilian

Jan 3, 2006
ooh sweet! :smile: which city? do you miss it?!

I was in Tehran. I was only a kid, but there are things I definitely miss..I miss the mountains (Alborz :heart:), the amazing weather (I moved from there to Canada, so it was a DRASTIC change), eating actual faloodeh or being able to buy roasted corn off the street vendors, making trips up North in the summers and swimming in the Caspian sea, seeing all the goldfish around noruz time, and too many other things to name. There are things I don't miss, but I grew up there, all my childhood memories are there, and a lot of my friends and family are still there. I speak Farsi fairly well still (although I lost any kind of ability to read or write, which is really sad) and I would love to visit again but it's just so expensive to fly there.

lilian

Jan 3, 2006
I'm not Persian, but my wonderful, fantastic incredibly talented did I say fabulous?, hairstylist is Persian. She tells wonderful (and sometimes bittersweet) stories about living in Tehran (sp?) before the revolution; she had many fabulous parties, everyone wore beautiful designer clothes, it was very cosmopolitan then. She has been in the US since ~ 1980, and went back there this year or last (I can't remember) for the first time. She said how nice it was seeing so many wonderful friends from the past.

All of the Persians I have met here are such warm, generous, lovely people.

My mom has a lot of these stories too..both my parents were born there and lived there until the mid 90s when we all moved. I'm kind of glad I didn't get to see pre-rev Iran, because I think post-rev would have been really hard to come to terms with if I had. For me that was just the norm, and while I don't think day to day life is as bad as it's made out to be, I can't imagine how hard it must have been for people who lived half their life in one reality to just be put into another one so quickly like that.