Any Oxblood nvt owners out there?

Catmather

Jul 4, 2009
Hoping someone can help with a question - rain friendly or not? I've bought the Tessie Hobo (love it!) and continental purse but I'm panicking about the weather.

I've given both a good spray but still worrying a little. I live in Scotland and was planning to use it as my work bag so advice very gratefully received 😊.
Thank you!

Oh my goodness, I love both of them, I am seriously eyeing off the tessie hobo..... Have been since it was released. I can't help,you with the leather question though sorry, but I will be waiting to see the responses from the more knowledgable ladies here. Congratulations!! Any chance of a mod shot?

Catmather--
Snap: we're wallet twins.
All of my mulberry pieces have oxblood. I enjoy the color's verve & sophistication.

I don't own a tessie & am unsure about your exact rain concerns. I carry an oxblood natural leather bayswater most days. So, I'll use that purse as example--

Rain: started 2nd day using my bays & continued all week. Everything from drizzle to downpour.

Collonil: mulberry store sprayed leather items with waterstop @ purchase. I applied leather gel before & after rain exposure. Told to spray with waterstop monthly: I prefer using gel.

Results: rain beaded on leather surface & no damage. Left bays indoors during downpour & carried wallet in coat pocket. No creasing or spots on wallet, no color transfer to clothing.

Bonus: no visible marks from inquisitive & wet dog nose, either.

Suggestion: I carry a large, polyester(dries fast) scarf to block unexpected or blowing rain. Just drape over shoulders & purse. Effective.

I think quality pieces age beautifully, though they change & gather imperfections...all part of a unique story. As with people. But, someone focused on product resale may think differently.

I hope this helps. Please enjoy your sassy oxblood items completely, whatever the weather.

Reactions: BeckyHannaway
Catmather--
Snap: we're wallet twins.
All of my mulberry pieces have oxblood. I enjoy the color's verve & sophistication.

I don't own a tessie & am unsure about your exact rain concerns. I carry an oxblood natural leather bayswater most days. So, I'll use that purse as example--

Rain: started 2nd day using my bays & continued all week. Everything from drizzle to downpour.

Collonil: mulberry store sprayed leather items with waterstop @ purchase. I applied leather gel before & after rain exposure. Told to spray with waterstop monthly: I prefer using gel.

Results: rain beaded on leather surface & no damage. Left bays indoors during downpour & carried wallet in coat pocket. No creasing or spots on wallet, no color transfer to clothing.

Bonus: no visible marks from inquisitive & wet dog nose, either.

Suggestion: I carry a large, polyester(dries fast) scarf to block unexpected or blowing rain. Just drape over shoulders & purse. Effective.

I think quality pieces age beautifully, though they change & gather imperfections...all part of a unique story. As with people. But, someone focused on product resale may think differently.

I hope this helps. Please enjoy your sassy oxblood items completely, whatever the weather.

Fabulous post and welcome to the forum

Thanks so much @remainsilly, it was a great help.

I have to admit I've just dived straight in and used as an every day work bag which has involved a little rain already in Scotland! However, the bag and purse show no signs of it so far.

Like you I think bags are for using and loving and so I don't mind them developing their own personality in terms of the leather.

Really appreciate the response, thank you! 😊 x

Lovely choice, I am an autumn person, love greys and blacks and just a touch of colour to warm me up.

I love this colour and nit sure if it's me but I've already seen a lot of this type of colour hitting the shops and it's so nice to see after the citrus colours this summer.

I'm on a ban, but love it and similar shades like Conker, plum, BF

Good to know its hardy too

Enjoy

Gorgeous bag and purse.

I have an Oxblood Daria satchel and think of it as one of my workhorse bags. It is a few years old and has stood up to everything and it's my first choice if I have to walk when it's raining. It's soft spongy leather but I do have other bags in NVT and would say they are very hardwearing .

It's always difficult when a bag is new, you get braver as it ages. I think you will find it very durable and will stand up to the Scottish weather without any problem. If bags get wet once treated with Collonil the rain usually just beads and falls off.

Just make sure you dry it off with a towel if it does get wet and let it dry naturally..............and keep re-spraying.

This wonderful Classic thread might give you confidence :tup: Totally nuts but it shows how good Collnil is :woot:

http://forum.purseblog.com/mulberry/ultimate-amazing-collonil-pics-206940.html

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help and kind comments. Have also just realised that it's only the purse that's the natural leather - the bag is soft small grain which makes me feel even more comfortable.

In any case I have given her a good coating of colonil and will make sure I apply regularly.

The reference thread is marvellous - thank you! X