any opinions on shu uemura's cleansing oils?

HiHeels said:
there are a few to choose from. they say "for all skin types." i have dry skin, so a cleansing oil doesn't scare me, and i'm a little curious about their premium one, but am i just being a sucker? i use cetaphil now.

shu uemura | Face > Cleansers

I have that one and you'd think an oil cleanser wouldn't dry your skin out but form some reason, my skin got horribly dry. If you want an excellent oil, go to dhccare.com and find their Deep Cleansing Oil. It doesn't dry your skin out at all, lasts forever, and is a fraction of Shu's price. You can't beat that.

HiHeels, I'm sorry, I actually have Shu's High Performance Balancing Cleansing Oil Enriched, which is made for dry skin and it dried my skin out. So, if the cleansing oil for dry skin did that to my skin, I can only imagine what the others would do :wtf:.

Molls said:
HiHeels, I'm sorry, I actually have Shu's High Performance Balancing Cleansing Oil Enriched, which is made for dry skin and it dried my skin out. So, if the cleansing oil for dry skin did that to my skin, I can only imagine what the others would do :wtf:.

that is so freaky!
so that's what you use now, the stuff from dhc?

At one point, I owned three bottles of Shu's oil and my roommate was making fun of me for it. I think it's a great cleanser especially if you use foundation or makeup during the day - because oil is a natural makeup remover. It could work for both dry and oily skin because 1) oil doesn't dry out skin, and 2) it dissolves your facial oils which can clog your pores. I highly recommend it.

michelle.coffee said:
At one point, I owned three bottles of Shu's oil and my roommate was making fun of me for it. I think it's a great cleanser especially if you use foundation or makeup during the day - because oil is a natural makeup remover. It could work for both dry and oily skin because 1) oil doesn't dry out skin, and 2) it dissolves your facial oils which can clog your pores. I highly recommend it.

this is a very different review. may i ask if you have dry or oily skin? i don't wear makeup, but i am interested in it as a gentle cleanser.

HiHeels said:
that is so freaky!
so that's what you use now, the stuff from dhc?

Yes, I have been using the oil cleanser from DHC for a very long time and took a break from that to try Shu's cleanser :wtf:. What a difference a cleanser makes. I switched back to DHC and I'm staying with it.

michelle.coffee said:

Oil doesn't dry skin out but the additives they add to the oil can and sometimes do dry skin out. It happened to me with Shu's oil and it was made specifically for dry skin :wtf:.

Molls that's too bad you had such a bad experience with Shu Uemura cleansers. Myself and a few of my friends have used it in the past without any problems.

The only reason I don't use it anymore is because I ran out and Shu Uemura is not readily available for sale in Canada. But every time I got to Asia I definitely stock up!

The darker yellowy-brown one is for oily skin and the clearer "no colour" one is more mild for drier skin, and the green one (which is the premium asked about in the original post) has green tea extracts which is great for skin. I :heart: the green one. I used the whole bottle and my skin looked great! I personally have combination skin so I get oily in the T-zone area.

The oil-base is actually wonderful for removing hard-to-remove makeup. Using other cleansers, I would still get make-up on the cotton puff when using toner afterwards, with the Shu cleanser I never had this problem!

hiheels - if you're feeling kind of wary about it since the reviews are so different, perhaps you can go to a Shu Uemura counter and get a sample. I'm not sure if they have samples in North America (assuming that's where you're from), but I know in Asia they DEFINITELY have samples of their cleanser.

Alternatively, La Mer released a new oil-based cleanser earlier this year which I have been using as a substitute since I can't get my hands on any of the green Shu Uemura cleanser and it has been working great as well. Mind you.. it's also more expensive!!

I would say definitely research and try it out yourself before you decide! As you can see... different products get different reactions from different people so hopefully you'll be able to get a trial before you decide!

HiHeels said:
this is a very different review. may i ask if you have dry or oily skin? i don't wear makeup, but i am interested in it as a gentle cleanser.

I used to have pretty oily skin in the T-zone and really dry skin on my cheeks, and I noticed that it really improved after using the oil. I think it's because various kinds of acne facewashes were too harsh and dried my skin out, making it produce even more oil where I don't need it. Now my skin is more balanced.. but it may also be due to hormonal change because I'm exiting my teens

michelle.coffee said:
I used to have pretty oily skin in the T-zone and really dry skin on my cheeks, and I noticed that it really improved after using the oil. I think it's because various kinds of acne facewashes were too harsh and dried my skin out, making it produce even more oil where I don't need it. Now my skin is more balanced.. but it may also be due to hormonal change because I'm exiting my teens

thanks for all the helpful feedback. :flowers:
which one do you use? i'm well past exiting my teens :lol: so i was thinking of the green tea age-assisting stuff.

i have like crazy dry skin and i break out often, but not as bad as acne. i've been using the shu uemura's green tea cleansing oil and it does wonders for my skin. its the only cleanser that cleans out all my makeup, without leaving my skin too dry. I strongly recommened =]

i have oily/acne prone/sensitive skin, and i LOVE the shu uemura cleansing oil in FRESH - its pink, and specifically for skin like mine. it took a few days to get used to the diff application, but it does work

the best way to prevent stripping your skin with the shu uemura cleansing oils is to use cold water when emulsifying, and also to make sure you're still using the full program

follow with the moisture recovery equiwater and then with the deepsea moisture recovery cream - it's lightweight and absorbs well without being greasy, and you dont need to use much

hope this helps

i think shu uemura's cleansing oils are lovely but i personally prefer sk-ii's cleansing oil.....

i have very sensitive, very dry and very oily (:confused1::confused1:) skin that's prone to break out in weird bumps/acne if i use the wrong product and this seems to totally clean out my pores and not dry my face out while simultaneously not exacerbating the oilies :yes: