Books & Music Any idea what is Oprah's Dec. 6, 2010 book???

LABAG

O.G.
Jan 23, 2006
:hrmm:I haven't a clue, and usually try to get an insight from other blogs, at least narrowed down to several. Any one got any ideas, or an inside scoop?

katran26

Bargain Hunter!
O.G.
Aug 25, 2008
Boston
I saw that it's the combo Tale of Two Cities/ Great Expectations...I read them years ago I think, so I'll pass on re-reading them

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
The Windy City
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/books/blog/2010/12/oprahs_book_club_picks_dickens.html

Oprah's book club picks Dickens for holidays

Oprah's latest book club pick, which reaches waaaay back to Charles Dickens, may bring a new audience to his works.

Oprah billed the choice as "A Date with Dickens" in picking both "At Tale of Two Cities" and "Great Expectations." In announcing the choice -- #65 for her club -- she said she was going "old school." And she had a confession for her audience: "Normally I only choose books that I have read, but I must shamefully admit to you all that I have never read Dickens." (I'd like to have a chat with her high school English teachers!)

Penguin has combined the two books into a single paperback for Oprah's book club. But you can also get the books online for free at various websites, including iBooks and literaturepage.com. No less a talent than Jonathan Franzen, who was appearing on her show, praised her choice, calling TOTC "a "total page-turner." I don't think I'll have the time to knock out "Great Expectations" (I've read TOTC) this holiday season. But I can see re-reading another Dickens classic, "A Christmas Carol," as a treat.

Oprah also made a broad pitch for reading. She said, "Books do matter. We're still going to be holding books in our hands for years to come."

Attachments