Any hesitation at paying full price?

jroger1

Jan 13, 2010
I have fallen hard for a past season bag that is only available at full price, at one boutique and it happens to still be at FULL PRICE. I am wondering why they will not put this bag on sale. Will it sell out before they put it on sale, then I will be heartbroken? Am I being stubborn, should I just buy it? I normally buy all my bags on sale, but usually I do not get so set on a specific bag right down to the color. I bought the bag on sale in black, but I am just not a black-bag girl & sent it back, which I don't regret but now I am like a love-sick teenager wanting the bag in the other color. Why does this happen to me, I discover this wonderful bag and it is discontinued. Does anyone else have trouble justifying paying full price? BTW it is Gucci and the price is $1200 so it is not crazy expensive.

I admit: I find it really difficult to buy Contemporary line stuff full-price, or without a coupon code. I can justify it more for Premier Classics line, but I have to be madly in love to spend FP on a Contemporary or Seasonal bag.

Honestly, I think if you're wishy-washy, sleep on it. I'm sure if you keep an eye out, you might find it on Yoox, or a high-end consignment site.

You said you're set on that specific color and even sent the bag back in a different color so if I was you, I'd go ahead and get the bag now. But I agree with Cait that if you keep looking you might find it on a consignment site or otherwise later, if you decide to pass on it now and it becomes unavailable.

I have a hard time paying full price for brands that go on sale. . . like Gucci.

Though not all go on sale. Most of my gucci collection never went on sale and I purchased them at retail price. All but one are no longer available/produced. So it really depends on the piece a customer is looking for.

jroger: if it's a seasonal bag, you can wait and see if you want to try to wait for a sale. Usually seasonal items go on sale unless if the item is really popular and is sold out before making the sale. Btw, what bag are you thinking about?

I just learned some disturbing news. I am going to research it more before repeating it, but it seems 98% of the premier bag market is outsourcing. Meaning: What you think was made in Italy wasn't. If these facts are true and correct, the bags that are made in Italy remain to be sold in Italy.

In answer to your question, No. I won't. Nearly every bag I've bought thus far was bought during a pre-sale. Think long and hard if this will be the end all. If it is still the one you are still lusting and it won't affect your pocket($), than by all means, buy it!

I never pay full price for any luxury item and let's face it - our designer bags are luxury items! Could you call the store manager and ask if they would be interested in extending a curtesy discount to you since it's an out-of-season item?

Some factors come into play here -

IME, if a bag you've been ogling for quite some time goes on sale, more than likely someone is waiting out the sale for this bag as well. I've always said if it's your HG bag and it's perfect right down to the color, shape, designer, etc, then jump on it before it's gone. You'll kick yourself more if someone snatches it up and you're searching feebay for the white whale.

I personally hesitate when paying full price and haven't paid full price for a bag in about a year and a half. I used to pay full price for bags but not anymore.

Just my .02. HTH

If you love a bag that much (which it sounds like you do) then I don't see a problem paying retail for it. It is definitely nice to get a bag on sale but if you will be heartbroken if you miss out, I say buy it.

Though not all go on sale. Most of my gucci collection never went on sale and I purchased them at retail price. All but one are no longer available/produced. So it really depends on the piece a customer is looking for.

jroger: if it's a seasonal bag, you can wait and see if you want to try to wait for a sale. Usually seasonal items go on sale unless if the item is really popular and is sold out before making the sale. Btw, what bag are you thinking about?

I know this is OT, but I always love your avatar - and the new doll is adorable. :smile: Are they actual dolls, or just computer graphics?

Just buy it.
The risk of it getting away is much greater than the potential reward of possibly getting it on sale later.
Buying at a discount is really good but it should not become a tyranny.
If you buy 95% of your bags at a discount, does it really matter if you pay full price for 1?

Other than LV (which never goes on sale anyway) I won't pay full price for any 'luxury' item. If I miss out on one bag that I like there will be something else later on that is just as good or better.