Any GIA graduates here?

sparklebunny

Dec 16, 2019
If there are any GIA Graduate Gemologists or graduates of their other programs here, can you tell us about your study experience? Were the classes and labs hard?

Also, how was it finding work too? Was it difficult to get a job? What is your position?

I’m just branching out from the free GIA class thread, hoping to find any of their alumni here. Thanks!

Hi there! I completed the Diamond Graduate program and a few of the other classes. I still need one gemstone distance course and two gemstone labs to be a Gemologist. I enjoyed the distance learning classes, but the diamond grading lab that I took in New York was awesome! It’s interesting to see all of the different types of people taking the course. Everything from people just starting out in the jewelry world to people who had owned stores for years. There were even a few people who wanted to take the course just to be a more informed customer.
I work in a high end jewelry store in sales, but I also assist the owner in buying. Overall I learned a lot from the classes that I took and I use the knowledge almost everyday. Feel free to reach out with any questions!

@Anm827 and @Mcmd11 — For your jewelry jobs, how important was having previous jewelry/sales experience? (I’m a total newbie on my end.)

Plus, what is like being a buyer? What are the day-to-day responsibilities and skill sets needed?

Thanks for your answers! I was losing hope that anyone would reply, LOL! I just enrolled in my first post-AJP class too, starting soon.