Books & Music Any FUTURISIC SCIENCE FICTION fans here?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. [​IMG] I'm just wondering if there's anyone else here who enjoys this particular sub-genre of Science Fiction, whether in books or movies.

While I like many genres (non-fiction and fiction, especially the Classics), I'm always up for a riveting and, if possible, mind-twisting futuristic, dystopian or post-apocalyptic story. I find them fascinating.

Do you? [​IMG]

2. I like the post-apocalyptic/dystopia theme but it has to be good writng. Oryx and Crake (Margaret Atwood) and The Road (Cormac McCarthy) are two of my favorite books of all time.

3. Any oldie but still good "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood
    "Riverworld" by Jose Farmer
    "Never Let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro- read this a while back and was surprised to see some reviewers classify it as Sci-fi.

4. I've read a few books by Stanislaw Lem. He wrote Solaris and some other sci fi books that I cant remember off the top of my head.

5. #5 Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    Would you consider the Steven King Dark Tower series to be in this genre? Though neither highbrow nor deep, I did enjoy these 7 books, and it was the first time I read any Steven King.

6. If you liked NLMG you'd probably like The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist.

7. These were the first few books/series that got me hooked on this genre. I reread them periodically.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (I love all his books btw)
    Dune by Frank Herbert

can I include these: Star Wars & Star Treks?

There are a few more authors that I love as well. Love to hear about more good books.

8. I like all the Star Wars novels by Karen Traviss.

9. The most "important" utopia book I read was Herland by feminist Charlotte Perkins Gilman. I would not say that I loved the book, but given it's historical importance, I enjoyed it.

After reading all these posts, I picked up my copy of Oryx and Crake this weekend, which has been sitting on my self for 7 years. I was in one of those book-of-the-month clubs and never managed to send in the cards so I always had to buy the selection. I had no idea what the book was even about. I am really enjoying this book.

10. Love the JD Robb In Death series...haven't read it in years though

11. My favorites are 1984, The Handmaid's Tale, and Fahrenheit 451. I tried to read Oryx and Crake since I loved the Handmaid's Tale and they're both by Margaret Atwood, but I just couldn't get into it.

12. Some of the "cyberpunk" authors come to mind: William Gibson, Phillip K Dick (his novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was adapted into the movie Blade Runner)
    It's pretty interesting that Gibson wrote his book "Neuromancer" in the 80's, certainly before the internet became so prominent.

13. Thanks all for reminding me how much I like this genre. I kind of forgot how much I love to be transported to another world. I loved Oryx and Crake. I am now reading The Year of the Flood and also took out the Handmaid's Tale from the library. pl888, I read DADOES in college when I took "Romance and Fantasy." I also took Utopian Literature and read some Le Guin (and Herland).

14. #14 Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
    The following books were highly recommended by my BF and the staff at my Borders bookstore:

The Plague by Albert Camus
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    On The Beach by Nevil Shute
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

15. I'm barely starting to get into this genre! It'd be great if you'd all recommend good beginner reads for me :biggrin: So far I've only read 1984 and Brave New World (would those even classify?), and have a few Phillip K. Dick ebooks that haven't gotten around to reading..

What would you guys recommend I read?