Any Fine Art Majors here? Drawing Skills??

Apr 25, 2007
I am going back to school and I wanted to be a teacher at first.. but I have always wanted to go to school for art.. photography to be specific.

My school offers a BA or BS in Photography but also a BFA with an emphasis in Photography. I am interested in the BA or the BFA but I cannot draw well.. It just isn't my strong point. I like the BFA because I could do all kinds of art as well as photography. I know I will have to take drawing classes, but do I NEED to draw really good to pass them?:shrugs: If so, I may have to just do the BA in Photography.

:ty:

Sorry I don't know the specific info but people I knew that took art classes only got graded on completing the specific assignments and putting effort into them...
anyway I really just wanted to say congrats on going back to school, I think that is awesome!!!! :heart:

I don't think so. I do Fashion Deisgn and we have module in art and life drawing etc & I can't really draw at all, but I've always done well in my grades. & you get SO much better over time.

The lecturer was telling me even people on his fine art course aren't the best drawers but they get by & improve. With us we get graded more on what we've put into the art & how we've put our own spin/personality into it than how realistic it looks. Obviously it might be different on your course but we can pretty much just take something and run with it. A LOT of my work is basically scribbles and mark making because I can't ever get proportions right on life drawings.

Good luck if you decide to do it!

I go to art school right now and am getting my BFA. My freshman year all majors had to take a lot of drawing classes, and in most cases the teachers understand that drawing is not everyone's thing.
As long as you really try, then you will do fine!

you also just have to have a thick skin, some teachers can be brutal but it isnt personal, they are just trying to make you better.

Regardless, if you end up doing the BA I would suggest taking drawing classes anyway, even if you aren't good (which I'm not.. i hate drawing) it really helps you SEE things in a more "arty" way and helps in other areas of art that arent drawing related.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine.

I have a BFA with an emphasis in drawing... At my university, the photography majors had to take a couple of drawing classes too, and it didn't matter if some of them weren't as good. All that mattered was the effort. :tup:

I have a BFA in Graphic Design and I cant draw a stick figure! thank goodness I can work a mouse like magic for illustrations! I had to take Drawing I and II, and I opted for a Life Drawing class and actually did ok. I just did my best and legitamitly tried very hard to work with myself through projects I found difficult. The professors saw that I was really trying my best and completely understood. I find hand-mouse coordination completely different than hand-pencil coordination - actually quite a few of my classmates in the design major were all having the same issues.

I have my BFA and another degree in Fine Arts where I was classically trained in the Visual Arts. I know how to draw!

Drawing skills seem to not be important anymore. The computer changed all that. It's unfortunate, IMO, but you probably don't need drawing skills to do well.